Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Slow at starting up & apps slow to launch, OTL log enclose

• Please log in to reply

Rhineus

Rhineus

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

I'm having a problem that I need help on... Everything is fine until the desktop starts up. It takes about 3 or 4 minutes to start up and the quick launch goes away every time I restart. It freezes every & then and just right after restart also it freezes sometimes. I know it's not a malware problem, hopefully. lol

OTL logfile created on: 4/8/2012 11:48:00 AM - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.39.2 Folder = C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Desktop
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Version = 5.1.2600) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 8.0.6001.18702)
Locale: 00000409 | Country: United States | Language: ENU | Date Format: M/d/yyyy

1.44 Gb Total Physical Memory | 0.66 Gb Available Physical Memory | 45.82% Memory free
3.29 Gb Paging File | 2.56 Gb Available in Paging File | 77.82% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): C:\pagefile.sys 2046 4092 [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\WINDOWS | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 74.52 Gb Total Space | 58.93 Gb Free Space | 79.07% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

Computer Name: HOME | User Name: Default | Logged in as Administrator.
Boot Mode: Normal | Scan Mode: Current user
Company Name Whitelist: Off | Skip Microsoft Files: Off | No Company Name Whitelist: On | File Age = 30 Days

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 April 2012 - 11:53 AM.
Removed Malware Log...not used in this forum

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Rhineus

1 .Does the same problem occur when booting to Safe Mode with Networking please

2. How long have you had the problem and does that appear to fit in with the installation of any new hardware or software

3. Please list what you have tried to date

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

1. Everything is ok when booting into safe-mode.

2. Every since I formatted. I've installed the drivers and did all the windows updates. I don't think I've installed any new hardware and software. But the site called http://portableapps.com/ has portable apps and I try to get the apps off their site like CCleaner, Revo Uninstaller and such. Cause this computer is pretty old, like in the late 90's old. lol So, it can't handle very much installed software. But CClener does have a 3rd party program called "CCEnhancer" that has a file called "winapp2.ini" that has a few options that the regular CCleaner don't have. And I think a couple of them got checked when I did the regular cleaning. My wife must have checked them because she sometimes cleans the computer too. I guess I should have look before blindly cleaning it with CCleaner. But I never touch the registry!

But with that said, I restored the computer and it fixed it some, it still does about the same thing, it loads fine until it gets to the desktop, and then when it gets to the desktop it's blank, only the desktop wallpaper (no icons, status bar or start menu) for about 15 or so seconds, and then every-time it loads but slowly. After that it all is better until it freezes. It freezes about, well on a good day it only freezes about 20 or so times a day, but on a bad day, it freezes about 30 or so times a day. We have to constantly save our work.

3. Well, I pretty much haven't tried anything... Besides cleaning the computer and defrag it.

*Sorry, I didn't know, what was the malware part* :-)

Thanks,
Michael

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1.Go start
in run type
msinfo32
when that opens click the edit tab click select all
click the edit tab again click copy
open wordpad
new doc
right click
click paste
save.

On reply copy and paste to the reply message

2. Go start, right click my computer
click properties
click hardware
click device manager button
do any devices have red or yellow warnings
if so expand the entry by click the plus sign to the left and then double click to open the device what please is the warning.
IF THERE are warnings do not proceed as below - post details please

3. Go start
programs
accessories
system tools
diskcleanup
run it please
check all boxes
click to complete cleanup

4. Go back to system tools
click defrag
slect c drive click analyse
what percentage please is the fragmentation
if over 10% do not defrag using windows you will there all night
If 10 or under defrag on windows.

Please clarify that you tried SAFE mode WITH NETWORKING
in otherwords you could still use the internet and not just Safe Mode

Does the same problem occur when booting to Safe Mode with Networking please

Everything is ok when booting into safe-mode.

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, my system info is as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HOME
System Manufacturer Compaq Presario 061
System Model DW293A-ABA SR1053W NA510
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.03, 2/9/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name HOME\Default
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 711.26 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
-----------------
My hardware devices is as follows:

Network Adapters
1394 Net Adapter
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter

They both have yellow warnings. But I don't use either one of those. I use Netgear wireless adapter

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The 1394 is the Firewire port and is not used for the connection. You may ignore it.
The other one of course, the wired ethernet connection, is as you say, not used by you.

Therefore please ignore these warnings and proceed as above with the cleanup

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello,

Sorry I'm just now getting back with you... I really had to defrag my computer, it was at about 30% of my HDD. I had to see what over about 3 or 4 days, what my computer would behave... And it did pretty well, it still froze about 10 or 15 times but not like before. It took about 3 hours, not all that long.

I created a new profile, and it didn't freeze for a little while but it began to freeze, about 8 or 9 hours in.

What exactly is SAFE mode WITH NETWORKING? Because it looks like just safe mode. But it did fine, no freezing.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you should have come back to me, as I said if it is over 10% fragmentation you will be there all night and I could have sent you a program that would have been quicker for you

Here it is for your future use, but generally speaking I prefer the Windiows defrag. Once a week checking, on alnlayse first should be more than sufficient
http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/

We do not advise the use of the other offered optimizers, ONLY the defrag

Safe Mode loads a minimal set of drivers and services.
It also loads a generic graphics driver in VGA mode.
It therefore generally will confirm, to some extent, errors on the graphics driver.
Safe Mode itself, does not enable networking

Safe mode with networking enables a simpleethernet connection, but not a wireless connection.

In SAFE MODE - drivers for the network adaptor are not loaded and therefore it is to some extent a test of if these are causing a crash.

That explanation is only in simple terms.

You will also notice VGA mode on the F8 menu, that loads windows noramlly but in VGA mode, using the existing graphics driver, in VGA mode, therefore if windows crashes when loaded normally, but not when loaded VGA mode, it tends to confirm the graphics driver. Again this is NOT positive and certain, as full grpahics is a greater demand on ram etc then VGA graphics, so the error may lie elsewhere. However it is a good basic test

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Run this please
http://www.geekstogo...er-by-oldtimer/

simply download and follow the instructions on the link.

NOTE please small square top right of window with flashing graphics, just in case you are susceptible in anyway to those.

2. Go start, run
type
msconfig
click startup tab
Send screenshot please of all items that are check marked - small box to left of entry.
To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..
now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....
when that opens click edit and then click paste
the msconfig window will appear in paint.
Click on File and click Save As
On File type it defaults to Bitmap, tnhat is too large save it as JPEG
.save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing...
BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
On your reply go Use full editor and follow instructions to attach

You may need to send two depending on the number of items checked.

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Mac,

Yes, I wasn't doing nothing when that was defragging so it was good...

Ok, that program took away a lot of temp files but it didn't show a little square box or give me a chance to do a screen shot. I had to restart and it didn't give me a choice not too.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I think you missed 2. on my previous.
msconfig

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Mac,

Sorry, I got that confused...

Startup.JPG

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well there is nothing on the startup items that would account for the very slow start up

I think it best to do the following

1. Open my Computer right click C drive, click properties, click tools, click error checking, click check now, click to check the second box - scan for bad sectors, so now both boxes are check marked, click start
Agree the message to run on restart and do so please

After the computer has carried out the chkdsk and it is a five stage check, please do not interrupt it, go Control panel Admin Tools, event viewer and on the left pane click application please on the main window on the heading Source, click once on that and it will sort them alphabetically, now please find the winlogon entries.
Open please the most recent.
CHECK PLEASE that it is the chkdsk results from the time and date of that run
Click once on the double page symbol to the right of the main window, that is below the broad up and down arrows, then right click to paste on this reply panel, or on a word doc and then copy and paste to the reply when ready.
If bad sectors are recorded, this will very likely be the problem

2. When was the case of the computer last opened and cleaned of dust please
If you feel competent, disconnect, open the case, normally two screws holding the side panel, but not always, could be a release catch somewhere, exmaine please the general area of the computer fans and if you know what I mean the fan of the CPU and the cooling fins underneath that fan.

If they do have a heavy build up of dust, a soft brush and a cotton bud are ideal, be gentle and do not use the household vac. DO NOT TOUCH any components, without FIRST taking hold of the bear metal case inside with both hands to discharge any static in your body.

If you do not feel competant to open the case, then please say and I can give you further guidance.

This may help but of course it is not your computer and the images can only be a general guide
http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

the CPU with the aluminium cooling fins underneath the fan is shown on image 16 from the top , they are not numbered
If the fans and particularly the CPUT fan and cooling fins are in clear and desperate need of a clean, this may be the problem, if so after cleaning try again.

3. AFTER 1 and 2 above if NO bad Sectors and NO asppreciable dust build up do this please to check the memory. A defective ram stick could be responsible.
Make this disc please and run it as shown

1. Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip). If you prefer to use the USB version then use this link USB KEY
2. Unzip downloaded /memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip file.
3. Inside, you'll find /memtest86+-4.20.iso file.
4. Download, and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/
5. Insert blank CD into your CD drive.
6. Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc
7. Click on Browse for a file... icon:

Posted Image

8. Locate memtest86+-4.20.iso file, and click Open button.
9. Click on ImgBurn green arrow to start burning bootable memtest86 CD:

Posted Image

10. Once the CD is created, boot from it, and memtest will automatically start to run. You may have to change the boot sequence in your BIOS to make it work right.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

The running program will look something like this depending on the size and number of ram modules installed:

Posted Image

It's recommended to run 5-6 passes. Each pass contains very same 8 tests.

This will show the progress of the test. It can take a while..

Posted Image

The following image is the test results area:

Posted Image

The most important item here is the "errors" line. If you see ANY errors, even one, most likely, you have bad RAM.

Rhineus

Rhineus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello Mac,

Sorry that it took so long to reply, the chkdsk kept freezing the computer but it finally finished. I did that, about the chkdsk thing... Cleaned out my computer and everything. Downloaded ImgBurn and memtest86. I'll do the memtest later on tonight... Cause it looks like it will take a long time to finish.

I know I'm not an expert but I don't see no bad sectors...

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 4/19/2012
Time: 3:11:02 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HOME
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

78140128 KB total disk space.
18964004 KB in 78231 files.
28948 KB in 10034 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
190836 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
58956340 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19535032 total allocation units on disk.
14739085 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
80 b5 01 00 d4 58 01 00 f5 d7 01 00 00 00 00 00 .....X..........
41 1e 00 00 02 00 00 00 8f 03 00 00 00 00 00 00 A...............
08 36 c3 03 00 00 00 00 7c d0 bc 55 00 00 00 00 .6......|..U....
60 34 3c 02 00 00 00 00 ce 02 ce 8b 02 00 00 00 `4<.............
b0 f7 b2 7d 04 00 00 00 ae f7 cb 68 07 00 00 00 ...}.......h....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 90 38 07 00 97 31 01 00 ..6......8...1..
00 00 00 00 00 90 78 85 04 00 00 00 32 27 00 00 ......x.....2'..

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You are 100% correct no problem with the file system or the disk itself from the aspect of bad sectors.
There are none.

I notice that you have Malwarebytes installed.
The free MBAM is a scan only and does not provide real time protection.

YOU have Avast as your resident AV, so if you have the free MBAM that is great as it is a fantastic program

However I notice that you have it loading at startup.

If you have that set to scan at startup, which I do not think you can with the free edition, then open MBAM and set so that it does NOT scan at startup - that may well be the cuase of the porblem if you do have MBAM set for scan at startup

You also have ERUNT set for backup of registry on each startup - cancel that as well - the both of them MAY indeed be the casue

http://www.geekstogo...ry-using-erunt/