Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Missing Operating System"

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Just tried to access external link @ http://noahdfear.net and was presented with Problem loading page

Clicked on link via email notification and received black page/white letters that stated:

Did you really think I was gonna let you see what I have in here? :lol:

Love his sense of humor! Is this problem on my end?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this one...
noahdfear.net/downloads/bootable/NTBR_CD.exe

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
:thumbsup: access is successful! Back with the results soon. :happy:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Negative results. :(

Rebooted to Gateway Splash screen then straight to Windows Error Recovery screen with Start Windows Normally as default choice. Clicked Start Windows Normally and the little download bar proceeded to take me to black screen with moveable cursor. :(

PS: I noticed that in the instructions above to create the disk you have to Browse to get the file to burn to disk. You'd be surprised to know that many may not know to do that. Thought I'd point that out for future reference. :blush:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi happyrock,

Any idea if the HD is bad at all? I do have a good friend who owns his own Computer repair shop and he told me yesterday he had a HD in stock if needed. I used Puppy Linux to retrieve all files not saved prior to this disaster and can drop the laptop off in the A.M. if you deem necessary. If you think the HD is good to go, I do have the factory recovery disks that Gateway sent me just after I purchased the laptop.

You make the call.

Donna :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
replace the drive then use the recovery disks would be my recommendation

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Then that is what I'll do.

I can't thank you enough for the time you offered to help me. Thank you so much!

Donna :happy:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
DonnaB

I do not think chkdsk would have solved your problem.
However re your post 10

I boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu and choose Repair Your Computer feature, select a language, select a User name: and type password, select Command Prompt, I type chkdsk /r and the following is the results:

X:\windows\system32>chkdsk /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

The command prompt accessed from the Vista DVD or on some occasions when pre-installed as on OEM systems from F8 Reapir Your Computer, is known as the command prompt at recovery environment.

It creates a ram drive lettered X
That is the reason your command
chkdsk /r
could not run
The report the drive could not be locked, is because that command was instructing chkdsk to run on the ramdrive.

This is the basic explananation

Working at the command prompt
To get to the command prompt, click Command Prompt on the System Recovery Options menu. You will land in the Sources subdirectory (folder) of a RAM disk identified by the drive letter X. From here, you have access to nearly 100 command-line tools, including disk-management utilities such as Chkdsk, Format, and DiskPart as well as file-management items such as Copy, Rename, and Delete.

The Windows Recovery Environment command prompt is a vastly more versatile replacement for the Recovery Console that was introduced in Windows XP. Unlike Recovery Console, which imposed stringent restrictions on your command-line activities, the Windows Recovery Environment command prompt permits you to do just about anything you need to do. Among other things, you can copy, delete, rename, move, and type document files; partition and format hard disks (using DiskPart); run diagnostic

Also for your information, the recovery command prompt, sometimes changes the drive letters, not insofar as an actua change on the system is concerned bu simply at the prompt.
Therefore what was C may well now be D

So when running a command at the prompt it would be in this instance
chkdsk C: /r

Bearing in mind this, as mentioned above

It should be noted that when you boot into the Windows 7/Vista Recovery Environment the drive letter for your Windows installation may not be the same. For example, if your Windows installation is normally on the C: drive, it may be located at the D: drive. To determine what drive letter your Windows installation is located on, you can type this command press enter:

bcdedit | find "osdevice"

This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located. To change to that drive letter you can then type D:, or whatever other drive letter it shows, and press Enter on your keyboard

Personally I think it easier to simply go from X on the ramdrive to C:\ and explore C:

I do not know WHY, but the drive letter is NOT always changed.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Macboatmaster,

Thank you for sharing the knowledge. I did have a new HD put in the laptop and picked it up just yesterday. The Tech Shop gave me the old HD to experiment with. When I get the time to focus I am definitely going to give it go to see if I can get it to boot into windows and see what happens.

:)

Advertisements