Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Failure?

• Please log in to reply

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 motherboard. Oh yeah, also the sys_fan slot is empty, but it's behind a bunch of cables and even further from the rear.

Edited by l3th4l, 26 May 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Gigabyte M57SLI-S4 motherboard. Oh yeah, also the sys_fan slot is empty, but it's behind a bunch of cables and even further from the rear.

You have just done my research for me as the sys_fan header on the MB was what I was after.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
What did your research conclude? :o

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok, so I actually found a fan with 4 pin connector, going to order my stuff after I get a confirmation that I got everything right. Will also post here if my issue was fixed once the fans arrive.

http://www.kilobaita...L_391&ID=368088 - 3 Pin connector fan, in case only one fan won't fix the overheating issue. If I will use it, I will connect it to the sys_fan slot.

http://www.kilobaita...L_391&ID=368089 - Molex connector, will connect this one to the back of the case. I could also use this one http://www.kilobaita...L_391&ID=346190 instead of the 4 pin one. This one has only 2 pin and less RPM. How noisy are they? If they are really noisy I'll probably get this one.

http://www.kilobaita...L_391&ID=346160 - Screws, will order 2 packs of these if I choose the 4 pin molex, the 2 pin molex already comes with screws.
They cost pennies, so price isn't an issue, but don't want to fail and have to re-order something again. The delivery costs are higher than all of this combined.

Edited by l3th4l, 27 May 2012 - 10:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Go with the 3 pin sys fan and the 4 pin molex types, they are normally only noisy after years of use causing worn bearings.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Ok, clicking the order button. Thanks for all the help! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome and let us know how it goes or if you have any questions :thumbsup:

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
So I'm back once again, still haven't received the fans I ordered, but did more experimenting. So basically, my GPU shuts down when it reaches 91-92C degrees. Tested it with Furmark, installed 3 different drivers (with a full cleanup of the previous one before installing a new one), always black screens and gives me no signal error on monitor once it reaches 91-92C degrees. Can you tell me why it does that when the temp is so low? The "shutdown" temperature of my card should be 120C from what I've read and experienced in the past myself. I can't seem to find a bios setting that would allow me to set the safe temps a bit higher. I know fans might fix the issue, but just want to be more informed in case they don't. Thanks. ^^

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
There is a chance that the heat is affecting other components such as the CPU due to no hot air being expelled from the case, your card temps are compared @ http://www.tomshardw...50,1957-22.html

Do not change any settings as the high temps will already be damaging other components - wait until your fans arrive.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Another quick question, does it really matter into which direction I'll direct the airflow of the fans? If I make one fan blow the air into the case and the other one out of the case or if I make both fans blow the air into my case, will the temps change? Watched some videos of the fan placing. Most of those guys have really good cases with grids that allow the air to come in or come out into the case really easily, but the front of my PC doesn't have any small spaces that would allow the air flow through easily like here http://youtu.be/w_j_6I7LZck?t=5m42s for example.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
From my post #9

one at the front of the case for air induction and one at the rear for expelling the warm/hot air would be best but an exhaust fan at the rear is the minimum you should add.

Other things that help with keeping your case cool are good tidy cable management as it reduces turbulence and allows the hot air to be more efficiently expelled and cleaning out heat trapping dust every 1 - 2 months maximum.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Woops, old post, didn't notice. Ok, the fans should arrive tomorrow or on friday, can't wait. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I will look out for an update :thumbsup:

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Fans finally arrived, took me like an hour and a half to install them because Gembird can't make freaking decent screw holes and the rubber screws didn't fit in for some reason. Anyway, to the point. Installed the fans and ran furmark for 10 minutes, after like 6 minutes the temperature seemed to idle at 89-90C. Didn't want to run it for more time because the GPU was making some weird scratchy noises... Here's a picture of my idle temps:
Spoiler
. Took a furmark picture as well, but can't seem to find it anywhere.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Furmark is intended to max your card out to see if it fails, keep an eye on the temps using Speedfan but keep in mind the card making odd noises may mean that it could fail at any time but hopefully not.