Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I did that ... nothing happened .. I took them both out and reinserted them rebooted then nothing ...

I then took them both out and rebooted without putting them back and nothing (was confused about your instructions sorry :()

I then reinserted them and still nothing ...

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Is the video onboard or a add on card. If add on you may have knocked it loose.

I have no idea .. what you mean .. .sorry.

I checked to make sure nothing was loose and dont see anything .

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
My colleague rshaffer61 means that if the graphics are a separate card, the monitor will be connected to that card

If the graphics are not a separate card the monitor will be connected near to the mouse keyboard and the usb ports.

WHICH colour clips was this

opened the machine up and saw one was just hanging off the clip

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

If the graphics are not a separate card the monitor will be connected near to the mouse keyboard and the usb ports.

Now that you mention this .. I just realize my mouse isn't lighting up underneath like it normally would be .. it is connect above the monitor cable in a usb port along with my keypad ... My monitor is connected underneath my mouse & keyboard/usb ports.

WHICH colour clips was this

opened the machine up and saw one was just hanging off the clip

Black

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi everyone ...

OK this is so embarrassing .....

Let me start by saying I am so sorry for driving you all crazy with my issues, lol. Seemed like I would have one problem resolved and another would present itself ... the the problems that presented itself after installing my new drive seemed to have been mistakes or goofs on my behalf!! I guess I thought I was being careful and in fact I was being careless and I apologize.

The problem I was having in the last few posts was because I did NOT insert the memory sticks correctly! I thought they were in the slots correctly and clipped securely ... after reading the DELL manual on the display signal (1,2,3 &4) I saw that the #1 was the only number on ... which meant memory sticks not detected I believe (no longer have manual in front of me) ... so upon reading and reading ... I got a flash light and lite the inside of my tower, to only notice that the top memory stick was not in properly ... I was afraid to push down on them too hard out of fear of damaging and or breaking one or all ... hence they weren't clipped in securely ...

I then proceeded to push down hard on each side and heard the clip click on each side on all 4 sticks and on each side. Once I heard all 8 clips "click" I booted my system and it no longer made that beeping revving noise ... it booted quietly and smoothly with no problems ..

I then right clicked on "my computer icon" to properties and my system is now showing that it has 2GB of RAM instead of 1GB of RAM!!!

I want to thank you all from the heart for all the time and help you all have provided me, time is valuable and you are all sweet kind people for helping people like myself on your free time with our issues ...

My new drive is working magnificently, all my programs & stuff was cloned successfully and all my other issues are resolved.

I have learned A LOT and I am extremely GRATEFUL to you all!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Simple mistake and you would be surprised how many times we see that.
It is a common mistake that even some veterans make. Nothing to be ashamed of and we are glad you found it in the end. Your determination and hard work has paid off in the end. I wish to say from all of us collectively and for myself especially Congratulations Lexy610. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Thank you so much!

I will certainly stay in touch and will continue to be a member here. This is an awesome forum with great people.

I am going to take a short break before trying to fix my son's computer lol. So you will hear from me soon ..

Thanks again :cool:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I am going to take a short break before trying to fix my son's computer lol. So you will hear from me soon ..

Since it is a different system make sure to start a new topic just so who ever is helping you won't think it is the same system we have been working on here. :thumbsup:

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Yes I will start a new topic .. think it is more of a malware, virus problem so I will post a new topic at that forum :)

I actually have 3 additional computers that are infected with viruses/malware (is that OK?).. but I will start with my son's system because he will need it for school in September.

Hope that is OK?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep just start a new topic as you get ready to work on each one. You may get a different Malware Tech everytime so that way they can concentrate on the system and not the ongoing topic.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Lexy610

All the best pleased it worked out and since you only had 1Gb ram showing when you started in the Malware forum, you should now with 2Gb find it smoother and possibly a little quicker at various matters.

Macboatmaster