Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing Running Videos

• Please log in to reply

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,
I pulled my video card, and when I restarted I had to reload drivers from the web for the onboard video.
I then tested 2 full length movies on my HD, and a 10 hour youtube video, and guess what, no freezeups!
I then reinstalled my GeForce 6200 card, tried the first movie, and it locked up within 10 minutes, tried a youtube video, and it locked up after 20 minutes. Pulled the card again and retested the onboard video, no more freezeups!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello dimills

Thank you for the update :thumbsup:

There is no way of knowing 100% for certain that the Turbolink PSU did indeed damage your Ram and GPU but it is highly probable, you now at least have a stable machine that you can use and can decide for yourself if you want to replace the add on video card.

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yes, at least now it's finally stable, I'll probably go for the EVGA card that I linked to in a previous response, it's relatively cheap, and had very good reviews. Thanks for all your time and help, it's been much appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
For the price it does appear the best option.
You are most welcome BTW :thumbsup:

Let us know when the new card is fitted and any questions feel free to give us a shout.

mgabriel

mgabriel

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
The video card may need to have thermal paste reapplied. Are there any bulging or blown capacitors? I ran across this numerous times and the solution has been to clean the old thermal past off the GPU chip and heatsink and reapply new thermal paste. If there are any bulging or blown capacitors then the card is no good.