Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open any antivirus or spyware [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
That means on the full test - as on your computer I think, it is not termed short and long test but QUICK and FULL test

From HP dupport documentation
"Hard Disk Test
Hard Disk 2 Full
The hard disk drive may have failed. Contact HP Support for further assistance."

in common with many HDD manufacturers checks and many OEM checks - HP do not make available what code 306 means

So you may if the computer is within three years of age, contact HP and tell them the symptoms and the results and see how far you go, I say three years because some HDD`s are guaranteed against failure in that time. Although I recently read that many suppliers are now reducing that to one year, See below

http://www.computerw...arranty_periods

I have no idea what code 306 means, but again HP may help you even if not to replace the drive, as I see little chance of this occurring - with you being the second (at least) owner
Please go back to the screen for the options of the tests, run the others offered and see where we go from there.

http://h10025.www1.h...c01443317#N1304

There is no need to quote the whole of my post in your reply, please only quote any part you wish to highlight to me.

However please do answer this question

The other point that comes to my mind is - you say it is second hand - did it ever work Ok or were you unfortunate enough to buy it and find this problem immediately

Advertisements

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm not sure if it's still under warranty but i'll give a go at checking. My parents are the second owners and it was fully operational when they got it about 8 months ago. I'm going to perform all the diagnostics and will get back to you with the results ASAP.

Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am honestly not sure of the position with second owner.
It is not a question of the original warrantry on the computer as a whole
It is on the evidence available at this time a question of the HDD
It will certainly do no harm to try sending a message to HP with the error code and asking them, then take it from there

This of course depends on what if anything we find on the other tests you are going to run - and then we will see where we go from there

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well everything seems to be fine except for the Disk Testing.

Disk Failure ID: UCV415-000685-XD0023-61F103

PRODUCT ID: WQ856UA#ABA

---------------------------------------------------------------

HDD INFO

TYPE - ATA

MODEL - WDCWD2500BEVT-60A23T0

SERIAL - WD-WX91A40P8612

---------------------------------------------------------------

This is the only thing i can seem to come up with.

But there are definitely Malware issues as well.. I can no longer open HP Advisor, HP support tools, Firefox, (Chrome is open at the moment but will eventually crash) and many other programs. All for unknown reasons.

Edited by bcourage, 17 September 2012 - 01:30 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Just in case you are wondering - that
product id is the

Product Number WQ856UA#ABA
of your computer
Compaq Presario CQ62-215DX Notebook PC - Product Specifications

The assertion that it is malware is a very wild guess at the moment, I think, although I am not qualified to assess that aspect as only certified Malware advsiors may do so.
However my colleague Dakeyras, who was assisting, you at first and asked if I may take a look on the Tech side of the issue, is as you may have seen, so qualfied and he will be watching the topic

That HDD is a Western Digital SATA 2 drive Caviar Blue 2.5

Capacity232.8 GB
Interface SATA 2

I would like to confirm the result of the test via the HP Self Drive test - WD offer their test utility download
Ideally I would think it best to test it connected in an enclosure to another computer using the WD untility for windows which also tests external drives
That test would eliminate the possibility that we have another hardware fault on this computer - which is causing the drive to fail the test.
for example a motherboard fault or a severe ram error.

However I suggest you start with a CD using the DOS utility, as of course we already know that you cannot use the Data lifeguard for Windows

http://support.wdc.c...&sid=30&lang=en

so in summary make yourself the CD. It is ISO so you must use the ISO burning program and although there are recommends on the WD site, I think my colleague has sent you one.
I will check and add to the post if necessary

OK ISO if you have windows 7 on the other computer the included software on 7 will make an ISO if not use this
http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

DO NOT put the blank CD in until asked.

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you, I'm going to message HP support and see what they can do (if anything)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See - to be completed on my last - slow down a little please. - I got a phone call

Previous completed 2115hrs Please run the WD check

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

My personal thanks to Macboatmaster for the assistance....

--------------

@bcourage, going back to this you mentioned:-

But there are definitely Malware issues as well.. I can no longer open HP Advisor, HP support tools, Firefox, (Chrome is open at the moment but will eventually crash) and many other programs. All for unknown reasons.

Going to be somewhat problematic giving the current state of the machines hard-drive to be quite honest. In all likely hood we will still encounter the same problems we have so far. I am sorry I do not have any more positive advice/news at this time but only so much can be achieved via the medium of online Anti-Malware support I'm afraid.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased to have looked not that I achieved too much, but the results of the WD check if it will run, which I think it should in Dos, may confirm.

I would prefer to have Data Lifeguard for Windows which checks external drives but of course bcourage will have to take the drive out - that would eliminate the drive failing the check - because of another hardware error - I think.

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Pleased to have looked not that I achieved too much, but the results of the WD check if it will run, which I think it should in Dos, may confirm.

I would prefer to have Data Lifeguard for Windows which checks external drives but of course bcourage will have to take the drive out - that would eliminate the drive failing the check - because of another hardware error - I think.

I appreciate all of your help! I currently don't have another computer to assist me on this only the faulty one but i should have another to work with in the next few days! I will report back with my findings and hopefully we can come to a conclusion of the status of the HDD. Then we'll take it from there.

Thank you both and i will report back shortly!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting.

I would make that CD see if you can get a boot to dos on it
If not and you wish, either the user guide will tell you how to remove the HDD or I will look for you.
Please do come back and let us know and good luck

I would still try as I said in post 18 and see whatt they say about the code.

I have done it for you here you are it is simple
http://h10025.www1.h...product=4221035

On that link it tells you that the computer has two hard drives.

It is to some extent a generic guide and I do not believe yours does have two. Other than that the guide is correct

CAUTION:To prevent damage to you computer, it is necessary to remove the battery prior to removing the hard drive.
  • Removing the battery
  • Slide the battery release latch to the release position.Slide and hold the battery locking latch to the unlocked position.
  • Slide the battery out of the battery bay.
Removing the hard disk drive.Loosen the captive Phillips-head screws that secure the hard disk drive cover to the bottom of the notebook.Use your finger or a flat-bladed tool to lift the outside edge of the hard disk drive cover and remove it.Loosen the captive spring-loaded Phillips-head screw that secures the hard disk drive.Grasp the Mylar tab and pull the hard disk drive toward the outside edge of the base enclosure to disconnect the hard disk drive from the system board connector.Lift the hard disk drive out of the bay and remove.To reinstall the hard disk drive.
Place the hard disk drive into the hard disk drive bay.

Push the hard disk drive toward the inside of the base enclosure until you make sure the connector is seated properly.

Tighten the captive spring-loaded Phillips-head screw that secures the hard disk drive, to the hard disk drive cover into the enclosure.

Tighten the captive Phillips-head screws.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Thank you both and i will report back shortly!

You're most welcome and thank you for the courtesy of informing us! :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.