Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

why would i be missing a registry entry?

• Please log in to reply

SallyMae

SallyMae

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
I've been trying to bypass dep settings so I can run a program/plugin on ie8/9. Unfortunately I have windows 7 and I can't install and run an earlier version of ie. I've reset my dep settings in the system manager and ie. That didn't work. I went to the registry to try to reset the dep settings but for some reason I'm missing DWORD key called DEPOff in Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain. I did a new install of ie just in case my old one was corrupt for some reason. Same problem. No DWORD key DEPoff. Why would this key be missing in a fresh install? BTW I understand the "dangers" of what I'm doing here. As an alternative I could use Netscape 4.7 but I can't find a download for it on the internet.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
The earliest version you can run on windows 7 is ie 8.

Here is the versiion of Netscape you are looking for.
http://www.oldapps.com/netscape.php

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thanks. I downloaded netscape 4.7 and i can't run it because it is 32 bit. I can't use microsoft virtual pc because i don't have a licensed copy of xp. Back to my original question. Why would the registry key I need to reset dep be missing? How do I get it back?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Not sure about that Someone else will have to help with that.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
There are a lot of keys and values that could be in the registry but aren't (and as far as I can tell the value you want is normally not there. It has not gone missing. ) If they aren't there then the default applies. To change from the default you need to add the key or value. This can easily be done with a .reg file. Download the attached fix.reg file and save it then right click and extract all. Then right click on fix.reg and Merge. That should create the value you want. I would reboot afterward to make sure it takes effect.

If you don't trust my .reg then you can create the value yourself:

Go into Regedit and navigate to
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]

Click on Main then on Edit then on New. Choose DWORD(32 bit) Value and then it will create a new value in the right pane called New Value #1. You just overtype it with DEPOff and hit return. (Use the exact name with the same caps and small letters to be sure it works. I don't know that it cares but I don't know that it doesn't either.) If you then double click on DEPOff you can set it to 1 (off/Disabled) or 0 (On/Enabled) then OK.

I see there is now a QWORD(64 bit) option which you might need if you are working with the 64 bit version of IE.

Personally as an anti-malware guy the idea of turning off Data Execution Protection seems like a really bad idea so I hope you have some really good reason for this.
http://blogs.msdn.co...hes-in-ie8.aspx

Ron

SallyMae

SallyMae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thank You.