Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard & Mouse not responding but appear to be working fine

• Please log in to reply

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi, I tried the below but am still not getting any luck, I couldnt try the USB card in another slot though as the graphics card takes up the other slots, or could I just remove that?

Advertisements

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I did see someone post this for a smiilar problem I saw on Youtube:

Dell Dimension 9150

-Unplug the computer and disconnect all devices.

-Press and hold power button for 10 seconds to drain the capacitor to prevent electrical shock.

-Open computer case and locate the 3 pin jumper block (located next to the 4 SATA harddrive connection points on the motherboard). The jumper is blue and will be connected to two of the three pins on the motherboard.

-Remove the jumper block for a second then reconnect it back to it's original postion.

Is that a possibility?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No harm in trying the above but removing the CMOS battery does the same thing.

Hi, I tried the below but am still not getting any luck, I couldnt try the USB card in another slot though as the graphics card takes up the other slots, or could I just remove that?

Sorry but I`m not sure what you are referring to for the first part.

Regarding the USB card and the video card, they are different types of card and so go in different types of slot, the video card is the PCI-E X16 slot and on your MB it may be black or brown in color, the USB card is the standard PCI type and your MB should have three of these type of slot which are generally white in color.

You may have another card in one of the PCI slots as system builders such as Dell often supply their machines with an Ethernet/NIC device so you have internet access, if this is the case remove that card and try the USB card in that slot.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Oh ok, I did'nt realise that. I removed the WinTV card and tried it in that slot, it still doesnt work.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
At this point I am out of ideas and can only suggest that you ask the IT department if you can take the computer in to them and have them try some of their keyboards on the computer.

If I can think of anything else meanwhile I will post back here.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
As a final note from me you may want the IT crew, if possible, to test the voltage on the usb from the board.

http://pinouts.ru/Sl...SB_pinout.shtml

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If the IT people have no luck your final option is to fit your own PS/2 ports using the MBs PS/2 serial hardware key (see attachments) the card is available from Dell, amazon if still in stock and ebay, some info from someone who wanted to fit PS/2 to their PC, different model but same principal applies http://en.community....2.aspx#19914382

http://accessories.e...239715600820560

http://compare.ebay....type=pla&crdt=0

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Ok, thanks for your help. I will speak to them tomorrow.

Thanks again.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hopefully the techs will sort it out with one of their keyboards, you are welcome :thumbsup:

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi, great news.... The IT guys wer'nt interested, so I bought the card you sugested, had a bit of trouble at first as im not sure both ports are working on it, got the keyboard working but not the mouse, but i was able to get into the Setup Utility, set the date and time, them boot into the Desktop and use the keyboard to install the new USB card. So i now have a working mouse and keyboard. The normal USB ports are still not working though.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi bg111

Thanks for the update which is good news and a job well done on your part :thumbsup:

Two things for you to check are whether the onboard USB ports have been disabled in the BIOS and the Device Manager to see if the USB ports are showing there and if they have a yellow ! or red X against them.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
This is what i can see in the Device Manager. Will check the bios, but just doing some backing up of files in case I struggle to get back in.

Attached Thumbnails

• USB.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No problems showing in Device Manager, good idea backing everything up and once you have done this I would check for any updates that you have missed while the computer has not been usable.

bg111

bg111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Hi. Im not actually sure how I get into the bios?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Press F2 when the Dell logo appears.
Press every few seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.