Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Brand New Gaming System Freezes

• Please log in to reply

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
So I noticed that when I tried to do a Windows Update as there was a platform update for my version, everytime I tried I'd get frozen up at the part where a restore point in created. I called up my buddy who get me my version of windows and have found that it's... a "shared" version. So I'm going to go out and purchase Windows 8 (although I hate to change OS) but do you think that perhaps the illegitimacy of the OS and therein it's inability to update might be a possible cause to my issues?

Advertisements

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Windows 8 was an extremely fast install and update. However once I began encoding again got the same freezing problem. I had read among other forums that some people using the software have found better results by lowering their RAM speed in BIOS. I dropped mine from "Auto" to 1066 and I see that my new Speccy seems to now be reading my Memory as faster?

http://speccy.pirifo...HqY4f1U8yXSjlBr

However even with dropping the RAM freq. still have the freezing problem. I can't seem to get passed 1-2% before it just jams up on me.

Edited by trokua, 08 April 2013 - 11:44 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
I should have asked at the beginning of the topic what OS software ver you were running. As you have indicated that the Windows software you were using may have not been legit, as part of the Policy of G2G we may not help you until we are certain your software is now legal
I will refer the matter to a more senior staff member who will decide how to proceed

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I understand. If necessary I can provide a copy of my new confirmed legitimate Product Key as well as Invoice of its purchase tonight

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Quick Update:
Just for s**ts and giggles I tried a different Motherboard with a little bit better customer ratings and the problem is gone. It seems there was a fault somewhere in the motherboard, but with the replacement I have seen no more issues!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Great result, only sorry we did not diagnose the problem for you.
If you need any more help, we are here.

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well, I thought I was safe. Everything was running great on the new motherboard. I was able to convert files for DVD viewing as is needed by mu business, even able to throw Skyrim on full settings without so much as a hiccup. Then one day, mid-conversion she froze up on me again. I tried to do a hard reset and I can't get passed the Windows 8 loading screen. I've even tried disconnecting the current SSD and trying to even re-install Windows on the WD Green Drive, but I can't even get so far as the installation. If I try to boot from CD it gives me a nifty loading screen for quite some time, and then just black screen. No HDD LED flicker, no Disc Drive LED flicker. No response from the Keyboard. I'm able to boot up to BIOS and reset to defaults and try to restart, but same problem. I even went so far as to update the Motherboard BIOS with no luck. I popped each Stick of RAM out to try them 1 at a time, and no change. I am utterly lost at this point.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I think to sort this we need to start with a base configuration of hardware and a limited install of software.

Not quite sure what you are running on now as you have changed the MB,so please list all your current hardware, brands/model numbers, everything.

You had a second GPU installed.
Q. What are you using it for?
Q. What connections are you using to power it?
Q. What are you using the second HDD for?
Q. Is the second HDD involved with converting/rendering or running games?

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hardware:

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU
AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL10Q-32GBZL

SSD (For Bootup and basic function)
Intel 335 Series Jay Crest SSDSC2CT240A4K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Data HDD
Western Digital WD Green WD30EZRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM

PSU
ENERMAX NAXN 82+ ENM750AWT 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Optical Drive
ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS

GPU:
Nvideo GeForce GTX550 Ti
------------------------------------------

For the 2nd GPU
1. I was using it just to have backup VRAM for conversion processes, not too sure if it actually worked for it.
2. Using the 6+2 PIN connectors from the PSU to power both GPU's

For the 2nd HDD
1. Using as storage for all music/picture/video files.
2. Not really connected to games as I'd install those direct to the SSD for faster load times. However it was the save point of all Video files, therefore was connected to the conversion process.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the info, update.
Please configure the hardware so you only have the following installed.
the CPU, heat-sink/fan connected to the CPU fan header.
2 sticks of RAM in the optimal slots.
the GTX550 Ti in the PCI-E slot, closest to the CPU, (slot #2. Use the fixed PCI-E cables from the PSU.
Case fans.
Front header connections.
The SSD.
Monitor.
Keyboard/mouse.

Disconnect the DATA drive.
Remove the second GPU.
Go to the SSD manufacturer Web site and look for a Firmware update. Please note any warnings given.
After updating the SSD, Enter BIOS, make sure AHCI is still enable, > save setting and exit.
Without connecting the DATA drive, can you perform any sort ot video conversion?

GPU configuration. a second GPU is not able to interact with the primary card unless in SLI and must be of the same series. Your cards are not compatible but we may be able to use it for PhysX. some games can use it and some application. We can try it later to see if it makes a difference for your rig.
> http://www.tweakguid.../NVFORCE_6.html Page 7 is relevant to PhysX management.
Cards supporting PhysX > http://www.nvidia.co...hcmmr2bytnkzymy
Some Aplcations/games supporting PhysX > http://www.geforce.c...da/applications

Advertisements

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
I disconnected all noted software and attempted to update SSD firmware, however once I inserted the firmware update disc it said that an Intel SSD could not be found (however my BIOS sees it just fine.) I have an inquiry in with Intel support, but if you have any ideas I'd greatly appreciate them.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
While waiting for the reply, have a look at using this tool.

> Toolbox User Guide. > http://www.intel.com...b/CS-033540.htm

> https://downloadcent...=eng&iid=dc_rss

trokua

trokua

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
So, quite a few attempts made today:

1. Hooked up my SSD to a different computer as a slave in order to run the Diagnostic Tool - Ran all tests I could with no issues. I attempted to update firmware, but it said it was at its latest version.

2. Went into BIOS on the Gaming Rig and realized that the Memory Advanced Settings were basically overclocking the RAM (Disabled that) and finally got more frequest successful attempts to boot. However during one of the previous boots that froze up, there must have been a fault in the Windows Repair and was unable to load Windows.

3. I attempted to re-install Windows 8 using an installation disc, however still got freezing issues mid install.
I wondered if this might be a corrupted disc or perhaps it didn't burn correctly or I'd burned it too fast. So I decided to try to install Windows 8 via USB instead. It seemed to go through the standard install fine and when it came time to restart and finish the process, my computer just hung out with "Preparing Devices" barely visible.

4. I wondered if the problem is the SSD itself just not wanting to be compatible, so I'm attempting a clean install on the data 3TB drive. The read/write speeds of course aren't all too great with it being a Green Drive, but at this point I'll settle for a successful boot up of anything!

And Installing Windows froze up at "Getting files ready for installation (97%).

SO fairly sure it's not the SSD or the HDD at this point. I've tested the RAM and switched out Mothorboard. My last idea is CPU problem?

Edited by trokua, 23 April 2013 - 12:13 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I wondered if this might be a corrupted disc or perhaps it didn't burn correctly or I'd burned it too fast. So I decided to try to install Windows 8 via USB instead.

May I ask where the file you are using to burn came from?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So I'm going to go out and purchase Windows 8 (although I hate to change OS

I did take this, as you had bought a disk, did you buy a licence and key?
What software are you using to built the USB installation. Are you copying the files from another media or a download source.