Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with a current build

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
By intstalling the SSD at this time, you will now have two old drives with operating system on them as well as the SSD, with drive letters all mixed up.
I also don't know if you had any of the other HDDs connected as well as the SSD.
With the 160GB HDD and optical drive connected you were able to boot to Windows.

If you want to install and use the SSD now, and sort the other drives later? Please give the full model number so I can download the manuals.

This is how to use the Direct Key.

When your system is on and you press the DirectKey button, your system will shut down.
Press the DirectKey button again, (or the Power On button) the computer will Boot into the BIOS.

Advertisements

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Ok i think i finally figured it out. Hey do you recommend Nvidia or AMD graphics cards?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That it good news Posted Image
Please let us know how you resolved the problem so that others can apply the fix if it will help them.

I don't favour one or the other, will depend on how you are going to use it.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I just did the data migration again but this time i waited for the system to turn if which took forever it worried me the first time because it was taking do long to do so, still new to the whole computer thing i was just scared something was going to happen.
So any graphics card brand is fine. My motherboard can SLI and Crossfire i plan to do that in the near future, but i don't know what card to go with.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Thanks you for the update. Some questions before selecting a GPU.
Have you updated the OS?
Have you updated the the Drivers?
Have you taken an image of the OS drive and created a restore disk using the Windows built in tools?

I think it is better to buy the best single GPU you can afford. If you have an older card and add a second, it usually requires a PSU upgrade. Newer cards often need less power but still 2 cards produce a lot more heat and have more display problems, like Micro stutter.

Are you still using this PSU? > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139001
What will be your budget?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
For the OS i went to windows update and it downloaded some things. And the drivers well side I'm using my old geforce gtx 8800 nVidia downloaded some things but that's it. A for the third question i don't understand.

So your saying SLI and crossfire is not worth it? No i got a new psu got a corsair 650wTX series oh and it's modular. Currently my graphics card is using both six pin connectors that i have.
Idk what card to get. Idk if i want an Asus brand nvidia card or amd one since i can benefit from the fact that my motherboard is an Asus and can instantly know that there is an Asus card connected. That way i can take full advantage of what this board has to offer.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Thanks for the update. Great to see you were able to update the PSU.
[quote]for the third question i don't understand.[/quote]
A drive image is an exact copy of, (in this case the OS drive) and is a backup that you can use if your system gets corrupted, it saves you having to reinstall winnows update everything and add essential programs. Window 7/8 have built in tools to do this when you have your system set up as you want it, Please read the tutorial, (I prefer to save to Hard Drive) let us know what you think.
> http://www.techrepub...e-recovery/7464
[quote][So your saying SLI and crossfire is not worth it?/quote]
Not in my opinion, possible exception, if you had paid $70 for a card, you can now find one for $40, (your max budget) and your PSU could support it.

It does not matter what brand of video card you install on a MB because it is controlled by the software an utilities that come with it.

We do need to know how much you want to spend on a GPU, before giving you a selection.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I don't want to spend more than 300 but if you suggest getting one card. But if you suggest getting two no more than 200 on each card, buy one and later down the road get another one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
If it was my own build and is this price range, I would get a single GPU,

Here are some to consider. The AMD cards use more power and run a little warmer. Find Pro reviews for the cards and compare how they perform for the games you play.

> http://www.newegg.co...131-478:$$$$$$$

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I notice that AMD cards also have a higher bit then nVidia but let boost clock. What is better?

Advertisements

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
So now that i have my computer up and running with the ssd, I'm afraid to plug in the old hard drive at the same time to reformat. I have a feeling it will say something went wrong again like last time.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
What drives do you have installed inside the computer?

Pleas do the following.
Press Windows key + X
In the left windows, click Disk Management.
Take a screen shot and add to your next reply.

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Got the game drive up and running now :)

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Thanks for the update.

What do you have installed on the Game drive?
What do you have installed on the removable Hard drive?

Alfserratos

Alfserratos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
The game drive just had my steam, and windows live for games installed. My games are also downloaded on there. The removable drive has nothing i was formatting it back to a NTFS since i had it as FAT32 to transfer some game data that i have on my ps3.