Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8 randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The one constant item is the +3.3V rail on the PSU being low, this can affect both the memory and add on video card slots, see attachment below.

Can you check what your voltage readings are in the BIOS please, it may be under "PC Health Status" or similar.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

Advertisements

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
The voltages in the BIOS are the following:
Vcore - 1.431
3.3 - 3.384
5 - 5.053
12 - 12.347

I am also beginning to suspect that the freezing only happens when I play SC2. I had not played for 5 days and experienced no freezes. When I played yesterday I had a freeze. I don't think it's related to SC2 specifically, but rather to times when my PC is performing demanding tasks, because SC2 is the only game I play and the only demanding task I run frequently. I hope this helps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
As I have said earlier the readings in the BIOS are not conclusive for the reason that I explained, swapping in a known good PSU for testing purposes is still my suggestion, you should also try a stress test for the video card by way of a Furmark burn in test http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/ unless the card fails the test before run it for a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 20 minutes.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I don´t have a PSU that I could use to test. When I do I will. I ran the Furmark burn in test for 16 minutes. No failure. The card reached 90 degrees C.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good that the card did ok :thumbsup:

Now refer to the memtest guide provided courtesy of rev_olie @ http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I can't get it to boot. I have set boot from CD in the BIOS. By defaulte the cd was not labeled BOOT, but I changed that so now it is, but it still won't boot. When I open the CD in My Computer it has a folder BOOT and a README file. In the BOOT folder there is a BOOT file and a MEMTEST file. How do I get this to work?

Edit: My PC just crashed while I was in the SC2 menus. I did a hard reset and now Memtest just started, since the cd was still in the drive. I ran the test for both sticks. Zero errors.

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 15 April 2013 - 08:32 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Can I ask did you test each stick of Ram individually and allow a minimum of four tests per stick, it can take up to several hours to complete and so is best left to run overnight or when you are going out for the day and will not be using the computer.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I ran 8 tests for each individual stick.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ram would appear all good then.

Can you test the VRam and provide a screenshot of the results for us http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I ran the VRam test. 0 errors. I tried playing SC2 on low settings (extreme texture quality but no effects like shadows) and then it does not seem to crash.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Could be a bad setting in the CCC http://www.amd.com/u...overview.aspx#4 see CCC information there as well as drivers.

You can also auto-check for the latest drivers for the card in future http://support.amd.c...uto_detect.aspx

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Just as an aside let me relate something which may have no bearing on this issue whatsoever.

The past two days I have been working on a Packard Bell desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate and decent specs for it's age but the thing kept freezing and then shutting down.

BSOD's were appearing but disappearing so fast I did not have chance to read them.

Tried to run all the usual tests but again freeze and shut down.

Booted up yet again and bang the whole screen dissolved into a mish mash of colour and white vertical lines.

Pretty obvious then what it was wouldn't you agree?

I pulled the graphics card, hooked up to the onboard VGA and all was good.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for your input Bob :thumbsup:

I would have suggested doing the same steps if the MB had a VGA port but alas no :(

If the drivers and CCC check out as being ok I would try the video card in an alternative video card slot on the MB.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Oh dear what a bummer.

Back over to you Phil. :thumbsup:

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Sorry for not replying for such a long time. I have the newest drivers and CCC everything default. It seems to be a SC2 related problem. I have been playing GTA 4 on highest settings without any problems. There are some SC2 specific fixes suggested on the internet, but none of them have worked for me. However, I can play on low settings, which is what a lot of the pro's do anyway. So I guess I will just keep doing that. Thanks for your help.