Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 32bit continually crashing

• Please log in to reply

Murrr

Murrr

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

I recently formatted my hard drive and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 32-bit, and things have been going very wrong since then.

Everything tends to run just fine for 20-40 minutes, then everything freezes for a couple of seconds. The screen goes black for a second or two, then it returns. I can move the cursor around but as soon as I click on something the computer freezes outright, and I have no choice but to turn the power off. Ctrl-alt-delete is completely unresponsive at this point, as is everything else bar the power button.

Occasionally I've had a BSOD after the screen has flashed black, but not too often.

I've no idea what is causing this, but it is obviously very annoying. Perhaps it has something to do with Windows 7 and my display driver, as I didn't have these issues on Vista. If it helps I'm running SiS Mirage 3 Graphics with up-to-date drivers.

Apologies for the vagueness but this is all I know at the moment. Any help would be massively appreciated!

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Some questions Murrr

Was Vista originally on the machine and you got rid of it by installing Windows 7, or by some other method?

Is the machine a laptop or a desktop?

If it is a desktop when was the last time you cleaned it out with a can of compressed air?

Murrr

Murrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hello,

It is a laptop that originally had Vista, which I replaced by formatting and installing Windows 7.

Hope this helps.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Have you obtained all Windows updates including the service pack for 7?

I have a feeling that this is an overheating issue so I'll ask how old is the machine and have you been using it on any soft furnishings or a bed for example?

Murrr

Murrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yeah, I currently have all updates installed. Regarding overheating, I used the laptop on a cooling mat with built-in fans. I also had it open a few months ago to clear out what little dust was inside, just in-case.

It crashed again just a few moments ago. This time, however, it recovered with the following error message:-

Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver SiS ® VGA Kernal Mode Vista Driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

First time I've had that message and it's strange that it says Vista driver, as I have the most recent Windows 7 driver installed.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
What is the make and exact model of the laptop Murrr?

Murrr

Murrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It's a Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile v5535.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Is this the driver that you got from Fujitsu?

graphics.shf.png

Murrr

Murrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Yes, that's it.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Then we are all agreed that the driver is for Windows 7.

Now let me ask if when you installed Win 7 did you delete all partitions, or all remnants of Vista in other words, or did you use another tool to get shut of Vista?

Advertisements

Murrr

Murrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I deleted everything on the main partition by formatting through the Windows 7 installer. I didn't touch a much smaller partition labelled OEM Reserved, however.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Ok what was the type of Windows 7 disk that you used, for example was it an unbranded OEM or a Retail version.

Both versions at any rate would only have created a 100MB partition on the drive and it strikes me that there are still vestiges of Vista lurking on the system.

Murrr

Murrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
It's a retail copy.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Is it feasible to do a new install deleting all partitions this time?

If it is and before you do so can you post a screen shot of what it says in Disk Management please.

Murrr

Murrr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Here is a screenshot from Disk Management:-

Posted Image

Shall I proceed with the reinstall now?