Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W7 computer freezes every 10mins!

• Please log in to reply

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
hehe, I admire your persistence!

so where is the devil then? :) it seems we've excluded any possible reason?

Yes it ran in safe mode with no issues for several hours and did the same in normal mode as well. but then froze again :(

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I still suspect a driver or a service of being the culprit. Please do the following and post the requested screenshots for me.

Download DriverMax and have it scan your system. It will open their website with all the out of date drivers you can update. With the free version you can update only 2 drivers per day so if you have a lot of them it will take a few days to get everything updated. I have been using it for about 4 months now and like it better then any other utility out there for keeping my drivers up to date.
If you want you can post screenshots of all the drivers in the list that need to be updated and I will suggest in what order to get them.

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
HI Ron,

wow - i have tons!

here is the screen-shot.. Anna

Attached Thumbnails

• outdatd drivers.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the very first one I want you to do is the smbus controller. That is the main controller for the system and will allow all the other controllers and chipsets to work correctly when we are done. I have to apologize to you because this part is going to take some time since we can only update 2 drivers a day using Drivermax. I will make sure to do the most important in order as we go. Once you have the smbus downloaded and installed then let me know and I will decide which one is next.

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi,

whatever works!! so no apologies of course - i'm very grateful for all the time you've spent helping me!

smbus installed!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ICH9 Family Root port 5 is the next one. Once that is installed then reboot and lets see what happens till tomorrow when we can install the next 2 drivers. :thumbsup:
Thank you for being so patient with everything. ;) :cool:

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
and you! I'm probs the dummiest user you've come across :)

both drivers installed - we'll be in touch tomorrow :)

have a good day! anna

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope you are not and besides it's not a point of intelligence but the lack of information. Hopefully when we finish and everything is working correctly I hopefully have taught you something. That is all I want besides the satisfaction of assisting you to resolve this issue.
:thumbsup:

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
the freeze continues...
where do we go next? thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now get the first and third ones today when you can. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi,

I haven't restarted after the drivers were installed and in the morning it froze when the radio was playing.
after a restart have been working all day with no freeze!! but haven't played a radio either.
So have no clue if it's drivers, activity (working) or radio off!
I guess I'll know more later when I stop working and put radio on...
So what are the next two i should go for?
thanks! anna

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 70 above has the next two. The fact it doesn't freeze up unless you use the radio may still be a driver but one that is connected to either network or sound.

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi Ron, I already installed the ones in post 70 yesterday... what about today?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your internet wireless or wired?
If wireless then start getting the wireless stuff and then we can verify if that is the cause.

elsavako

elsavako

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi
it doesn't seem to be radio - froze at inactivity (w-o radio on)...
installing WIFI Link5100 AGN and Intel ICH9m-e/m sata controller drivers(couldn't find any other wireless drivers)..