Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast! Shields won't turn back on... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jaunce

Jaunce

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Maybe two weeks ago I disabled all my Avast! shields so that I could run a scan with OTL, as I was having some problems with my computer. I enabled them after I was done with the scan, but just today I noticed they're still disabled. I tried to enable them again but no matter how many times I try that it won't work.

I figured it might have just been a weird software problem or something, so I went to uninstall it so I could reinstall it again, but then this came up: avast! setup fatal error
Error reading product data from "C:\Program Files\ AVAST software\Avast\setup\part-setup_abp-ffffffff.vpx". Setup cannot continue.

When I click on the Avast icon itself, it says my system is unsecured and then it has a button that says start. I click it and it asks if I want to allow Avast! to make changes to my hard drive. I clicked yes and nothing happened. Everything was still disabled and nothing came up. There was also a "Resolve All" button right below that that I also tried; the same thing happened as with the "start" button.

Nothing else really seems wrong with my computer, but this still worries me. After this I enabled McAffee just in case, but I would prefer not to use that. Any advice?

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi there the best bet would be to do a clean install of Avast

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel or go direct to the uninstall utility if this is not available

• Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode .. Accept that
    Posted Image
  • Once it has rebooted to safe mode
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

Jaunce

Jaunce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks so much for your help, Essexboy! That worked perfectly; avast! shields are working now. :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
There may be some remnants of McAfee that are causing the glitch so I would recommend that you use the McAfee removal tool to clear it out

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.