Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

vista won't allow me to run cmd prompt as administrator

• Please log in to reply

QuickCate

QuickCate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Tom, here's the screen dump you requested too. Many thanks, Cate

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture 3.JPG

Advertisements

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi Cate,

What a horrible error! Windows says you're in the Administrators group so I don't know why it's giving you so many access denied errors.

If you boot into Safe Mode, then log into your admin account (The Pool and Spa Sho), does the following command work?

Command Prompt

• Click on the Start Posted Image button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
  • When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
  • When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it, press enter after each

net user administrator /active:yes

There are plenty of ways to get this hidden account working, but this way is the easiest by a long, long way!

Tom

QuickCate

QuickCate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Tom, I tried your latest suggestion prior to posting on this forum (see my original post) but I just get 'access is denied' and then error box saying 'system error 5 has occurred. Any other suggestions? Cheers, Cate

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi Cate,

Sorry about that. Let's change tack slightly. Can you disable UAC by following Option 2 of this tutorial:

http://www.vistax64....ontrol-uac.html

If it fails, try importing it in safe mode.

Tom

QuickCate

QuickCate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi Tom, I swear I'm about to use this computer as an anchor. It won't let me save the reg entry, or boot in safe mode, but it did say turn user accounts off registry changes have been saved to registry - see latest screen dump. But it won't allow me to open, access or view contents of C or desktop to run. I've tried saving download to USB stick but won't allow me to do that either - 'Access denied.' Over to you again! Sorry about time delay - I notice you're in UK so we have 9 hours time difference! Many thanks, Cate

Attached Thumbnails

• Latest Tom's capture.JPG

Edited by QuickCate, 12 June 2013 - 11:58 PM.

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi QuickCate,

Sorry for the delay, I had an exam yesterday.

That has successfully disabled UAC, so let's see if we can elevate command prompt now:

Command Prompt

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

• Click on the Start Posted Image button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
  • When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
  • When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it, press enter after each

icacls * /T /Q /C /RESET

icacls /restore

• Right-click on the Command Prompt window and click Select All, this will invert all of the colours by selecting the text, now press enter. All of this text is now copied.
  • Paste (Ctrl+V) it into your next post please.

Tom