Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't startin any mode. Stop 0x000000ed, and DST Short St

• Please log in to reply

JimSellers

JimSellers

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Dell Inspiron B130 (Old, I know), windows XP home edition SP3. When I start the computer I immediately get the screen asking whether to start Windows normally, or in safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. No matter which mode I choose Windows tries to start, displays a blue screen for about 2/10 of a second, at the bottom of which is "Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x8A691C08, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). (Caught it in a video) After this Windows tries to start, and then the computer ends up back at the screen where the options are "start Windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. It will continue doing this until the computer is shut down.
When I run the diagnostics the DST Short Status Test fails, with error code 1000-0146. I replaced the original hard drive about a year ago, as you suggested in topic http://www.geekstogo...-e/page__st__15 and everything has worked fine until now. I did reseat the hard drive, to no avail. I made a boot disc, and when I selected "R" to repair, it said to type "exit" to end the session, and then the prompt would appear, with no other choices. Thanks very much for your time and consideration.

Cheers, Jim

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
based on the other threads you've got, and a quick search of the googles (and dell), dell's official stance is that any time you get a DST failure it means the drive has/is failing.

what make/model hard drive is it?

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply. It's a Western Digital 120GB WD 1200BVE-00AOHTO S/N WXA1A81F0436 I think I got it in May of 2012. The date on it is 24 Aug 2011. Cheers, Jim

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Dsenette,

I replied 6 days ago, and wonder if I've fallen through the cracks. Anxious to hear from you. Thanks for your time and trouble. Cheers, Jim

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Download Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS. Create a bootable bootable USB drive or floppy disk. Follow the instructions on the WD download page to run a quick test, and extended test.

Please post back with your results. :thumbsup:

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Thanks for getting back to me. The Western Digital website seems to be down right now, but I will keep checking and I'm anxious to get on with the analysis. Thanks again.

Cheers, Jim

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
I downloaded and extracted the diagnostic file, and copied it to a blank CD. I got to "boot disk" by clicking on your link, and clicked on the "DOS/Windows9X/Me/NT/2K/XP Excellent Bootdisks" link, and first tried the"DOS 6.22 5 1/4 1.2 meg disk,"file. and copied it to the CD. I copied the "dlgdiag5.exe" to the CD. I made sure that the bios selected the CD-ROM as the primary boot source, and started the computer. It went right to the screen where it asked if I wanted to start in normal mode, safe mode, safe mode with networking, etc. I went to bios and double checked that CD drive was first in the sequence. I next made another CD, to which I copied the "dlgdiag5.exe" file. Then I download the "boot622.exe" file, and copied it to this second CD. I tried that in the computer with the same result. What am I doing wrong? Does it make any difference that the computer I am using to communicate with you and to make the CDs is a Windows 7 computer, and of course the one I am trying to fix is a XP computer? is it necessary to make any of these CDs using an ISO burner? I'm stuck. Thanks very much for the help.

Jim

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can't make a bootable CD buy coping files to it. You need to use a program like Imgburn to create a bootable CD from a ISO file.

Get the WD ISO file here: http://support.wdc.c...oad.asp?lang=en

Get Imgburn here: http://www.imgburn.com/

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
"Get the WD ISO file here: http://support.wdc.c...oad.asp?lang=en" Which file do I need from here? I guess I need more basic instructions. Thanks again for the help. Cheers, Jim

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You need to pick the drive type of drive you have, which looks like a

Western Digital Scorpio Blue WD1200BEVT 120GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive

I think this is the diag you want: WD Blue

Click on the Download button below the Release Notes: pdf line.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
Yes, I found the dlgdiag5.exe file. What I am having a devil of time finding is the "boot to Dos" ISO file. Could you please point me at that one? Also do I put both the "dlgdiag5.exe" file and the ISO file on the same CD disc? Looking forward to your reply, and thanks very much again. Jim

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I'm going round and round and not finding a downloadable .ISO file. All I can find it the Windows version which runs under Windows and a DOS version which you need to put on a floppy disk, neither of which is any help.

But, since the DST Short Status Test fails, replace the drive.

JimSellers

JimSellers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
OK, and thanks for the time and effort. I guess it's time to retire the old girl anyway. Thanks again. Cheers, Jim