Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Video Card on Old PC, What Can I Use Now? - Merged Topic.

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Hello konakula29er

Just a FYI while iammykyl and nic777 are offline;

Something that may have a bearing on what you decide with the upgrading etc;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.
If you have a full retail disk and a product key that is not in use on another computer the OEM restriction/s is/are not the same.

Honestly, I don't remember if I have a full retail disk or not. I've had this Windows XP installation CD for years. I did use the same CD on an older Pentium 4, then bought this current PC from a university surplus sale. So, I've used the same Windows XP CD on both PC's. Never had an issue though.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
nGday.
If you can post a photo of the CD, we can let your know the situation.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

nGday.
If you can post a photo of the CD, we can let your know the situation.

Hope this is what you are looking for. Also, I am not opposed to upgrading to a newer Windows OS if needed or recommended. Thanks.

Posted Image

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
That disc is OEM version, supposed to be paired to your specific and unique system only as they say.

I would highly recommend Windows 7 x64 Bit, Home or Premium. This would allow you to have a new OS (I do not recommend Windows 8) and having 64 Bit architecture would allow you to harvest more power from the processor architecture and also have more of a comfort zone for upgrading memory down the road.

Would you like to give a price range?

I've been off these forums since 2007 or so, I'm not up to date with forum policy to know if this is allowed? :rolleyes:

I'd say go ahead and a mod can edit it if not.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

That disc is OEM version, supposed to be paired to your specific and unique system only as they say.

I would highly recommend Windows 7 x64 Bit, Home or Premium. This would allow you to have a new OS (I do not recommend Windows 8) and having 64 Bit architecture would allow you to harvest more power from the processor architecture and also have more of a comfort zone for upgrading memory down the road.

Would you like to give a price range?

I've been off these forums since 2007 or so, I'm not up to date with forum policy to know if this is allowed? :rolleyes:

I'd say go ahead and a mod can edit it if not.

I'm looking at $400 or so. I like the idea of moving on to Windows 7 x64 bit.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
A new system is a good idea but there is a little problem with your existing hardware being used. You will need a MB that is capable of supporting your existing HDD/Optical dries, they are IDE (ribbon strip), They are about but limited. you must also insure SATA is available, I would also choose a board with FX support.. Did a quick search,
> http://www.newegg.co...h=1&srchInDesc=
You will need a new OS disc as the existing one is not transferable.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Gday.
A new system is a good idea but there is a little problem with your existing hardware being used. You will need a MB that is capable of supporting your existing HDD/Optical dries, they are IDE (ribbon strip), They are about but limited. you must also insure SATA is available, I would also choose a board with FX support.. Did a quick search,
> http://www.newegg.co...h=1&srchInDesc=
You will need a new OS disc as the existing one is not transferable.

You make a good point about my HDD/optical drives using IDE vs. SATA. As I consider all options, it's sounding more like a system build is in order rather than an upgrade to the MB and CPU. Seems problematic to find a LGA 1155 MB/CPU that's still IDE compatible. So with that in mind, I would prefer to do a system build with new MB, CPU, HDD, Optical Drive, OS (am I leaving anything else out?). Can I reuse my computer case/tower for this build, and I imagine I can use the 430W Thermaltake PSU I already have. Again, I have about $400 to work with.
I've looked at your link to the ASRock 990FX Extreme4 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard found here:
My link
Out of curiosity, and a lack of knowledge/expertise on my part, how would the ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard compare to the product you are recommending? Link is here:
My link

Advantages/disadvantages?
I know you're an AMD fan. I guess what I need to know are what specs do I compare between an AMD and Intel product to help me determine which would be best for my needs?

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Okay, stated your HDD and Optical Drive appear to be IDE, and that does limit the playing field. There will be better speeds with a SATA HDD.

You're asking between the AMD 990FX Chipset or the Z77 Chipset. I just put together that 1155 Z77 AsRock combo. You are not going to be able to do that kind of build for under $400. An AMD Build may be possible under $400 but the operating system really puts you down to $300 for all new hardware.

A new Motherboard, CPU, and Ram can be had for about $240 (edit: This would be a good AMD build instead of going with the older Athlon II technology...which could be had for about $60 less--not recommended) A new Optical Drive is only $16-$22 and a new HDD would be around $55 for a fair amount of storage. So you're at $320 before Powersupply and Graphics. A decent GPU will be between $80 to $130 depending on how much power you want or how future proof you are going for. You can get cards for around $60 that are decent (since PCI-E technology is cheaper for performance compared to older AGP) however you may kick yourself for not spending a little extra.

So that's about $400 to $430 just going in my head without checking for any specials going on. That is no PSU, and no Operating System. I will need the model of your Thermaltake PSU to know more. And you may want to consider waiting an extra month to pull a little more income for the build, or buying a couple parts and waiting then buying the rest? All within 30 days if possible.

Case can be re-used. - Generally, assuming it's not a fancy OEM case that is proprietary.

Edit: I misread the last line about comparing.

AM2+/AM3 Athlon II x4 (Quad core 3.2GHz) could likely compared to
LGA 775 IntelCore 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad (3.2 GHz and 2.8GHz respectively)

AM3 Phenom II x4 (Quad core 3.2-3.6GHz) would compare to
LGA 1155 Intel core i5 (Quad Core 2.8GHz-3.2GHz)

AM3+ FX-6300 Vishera (Six Core 3.5GHz-4.1GHz Turbo) would compare to....ohh...I dunno, maybe Intel LGA 2011 core i5 2600 series or i7 2700 series at lower clock.

A quick price comparison on the processors.

AMD AM3 Athlon II x4 @ 3.2 - Unavailable, x3 (triple core) is available at $70
Intel Core 2 Quad LGA 775 @ 2.6GHz - $160

AMD AM3 Phenom II x4 @ 3.4 - $120
Intel LGA 1155 Core i5-3570k Quad @ 3.4 - $220

AMD AM3 FX-6300 Vishera x6 @ 3.5-4.1GHz - $120
Intel LGA 1155 / LGA 2011 core i5 - 3570k $220 - 2500k $270

Do you have any friends you could pawn off your old system to without the dedicated graphics card and just use on board. Maybe family or friends who just browse?

Edited by nic777, 18 September 2013 - 11:58 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Taking into account the limitations of your budget as well defined by nic777, please consider the following build where I have gone for the highest possible performance for the main components, and using your existing, HDD; optical drive, case. PSU will also be OK as I calculate your power requirements at about 340w., this providing there is a PCI-E cable available.
We still need to know the model of the PSU before giving the OK.

> http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1FfFM $

At a later date you can add this drive of OS and still keep your old drive installed for backups. > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148840
If you can find that bit extra, your whole system would be better with a new case, this is very good. > http://www.newegg.co...=1N8-001K-00002

Selected MB page, > http://www.gigabyte....pid=4305&dl=#sp

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
So basically you guys have convinced me to build my own computer system. Not bad considering I originally posted about my video card going out and only intended on replacing it if needed :lol:
So with that in mind, here's what I'm going to do...
For now, I will replace the bad video card with a ATI Radeon HD4670 1gb DDR3 AGP 8X/4X. I found a used one locally for $40 that I feel comfortable buying. I plan to keep this PC/Pentium 4 as an extra, so I don't mind the investment in another video card.
In the meantime, I am planning on beginning my build in the next month or so once I have all my finances in place. At that time, I figure I can invest up to $800 in a new PC build.
I appreciate the help given by nic771 and iammykyl. You've taught me so much in such a short time. Thank you for the system build suggestions and pointing me to some very nifty websites for research.
When I'm ready, I'll post here again about my PC build. Hopefully you guys will be around then too.
Thank you! :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
sounds like a plan, Posted ImagePosted Image
Your welcome.
Look forward to your proposed build, (new topic please) This one will not be closed, so here if any other problems pop up.

Good luck.

nic777

nic777

• PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Glad we were able to twist your arm enough to consider the new build. :lol: With that kind of price range you'll be in good shape for many options. :thumbsup:

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Building this PC from used parts to get my feet wet. Here's what I have so far:

Motherboard Intel - DP35DP LGA 775
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.3GHz 6MB/cache 1333MHz
Heatsink/Fan - Intel D601188-01
RAM - Crucial 4x2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
HDD - Seagate ST31000524AS Barracuda Hard Drive - 1TB, SATA 6Gbps, 7200 RPM, 32MB
PSU - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply
Video Card - EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card
OS - Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Case - NZXT Source 210 Elite Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

That's what I have, or will have, soon. Optical drives, sound card, will be added later.

A couple of questions about this build.
Motherboard specs per Intel indicate this Motherboard will support the following:
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 MHz system bus
Intel® Core™2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket with a 1066 or 800 MHz system bus
Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 MHz system bus
Intel® Celeron® processor in an LGA775 socket with an 800 MHz system bus

According to Intel Processor Match here, there are several CPUs that are compatible with this Motherboard, yet their FSB speed of 1333MHz exceeds the specs showing 1066MHz max. An example would be the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz 6MB/cache 1333MHz.
Why would the processor compatibility chart show processors that exceed the specs for this Motherboard? If I were to install a CPU with a FSB 1333MHz, would it be incompatible with the Motherboard, or will it work but only work at 1066MHz FSB speed? With the limitation for FSB at 1066MHz per specs, should I only consider CPUs with FSB 1066MHz?
Would I be better off installing an Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 3.06GHz 3MB/cache 1066Mhz or an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz 8MB/cache 1066MHz? Lastly, the processor compatibility chart lists Processors and Desktop Processors. Can I consider CPUs in each category or do I have to stick to Desktop Processors?

This PC build is primarily used for typical home computing. No advanced or heavy gaming, no video editing or heavy encoding software.

Thoughts and recommendations greatly appreciated.

Edited by Webslinger64, 01 October 2013 - 07:31 AM.

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Anyone? :confused:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry for the delay in you receiving a reply konakula29er

there are several CPUs that are compatible with this Motherboard, yet their FSB speed of 1333MHz exceeds the specs showing 1066MHz max. An example would be the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz 6MB/cache 1333MHz.

Why would the processor compatibility chart show processors that exceed the specs for this Motherboard? If I were to install a CPU with a FSB 1333MHz, would it be incompatible with the Motherboard, or will it work but only work at 1066MHz FSB speed? With the limitation for FSB at 1066MHz per specs, should I only consider CPUs with FSB 1066MHz?

The specs are for comparison purposes and the speed that the hardware will function at (the CPU and Ram) will depend on whether they compliment each other, DDR2 667MHz in matching pairs will function at 1333MHz for example and this will then be compatible with a 1333MHz CPU such as the Q9650 which would be my selection on the list.

Please also keep in mind that the MBs BIOS will detect the Ram and CPU speeds and then adjust the settings accordingly, this is a form of auto overclock if you like.

Can I consider CPUs in each category or do I have to stick to Desktop Processors?

All of the CPUs are good with the MB but the likes of the XEON chips are intended for servers and workstations etc