Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Don't know where the AVG came from. The 404 error is generated for almost anything and don't think you can read much into it.

See if we can update to SP3. Close IE and Firefox, Open Chrome, go > https://chrome.googl...bdenadd/details
On the right, > Click 'Add to Chrome", check it appears, top right tool-bar. close the download tab.

Click on the IE launch tab.
Copy and paste link for the SP3 ISO, instruction in reply #372, into the IE address bar. > Press enter, > Save file to the desktop.

Go to > http://www.7-zip.org/download.html Please download .exe 32-bit x86 7-Zip for 32-bit Windows. This will extract contents from the ISO.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
SP3 to dl was only a exe. I've used that before for my rents computer since that xp is way older.

Edited by cmislin, 10 January 2014 - 02:53 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I extracted to a folder on the desktop then clicked on this file,
> Windowsxp-kb9369290-sp3-x86-enu
Files were extracted. a wizard offered to install SP3.
Completed, I am now going to restart to see what happens.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
That was interesting.

1 minute delay at startup,
A very small windows xp logo screen.
a question screen say windows update was turned off, did I want to start it? Declined.
My normal screen popped up, but noticed Media Player had been installed, disabled.
Checked the system. Now shows, windows xp home, 2002, SP3.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
So do you want to me to run the SP3 exe? Because like I stated in previous post I didn't see a ISO to download only exe.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Please try again as I end up with a ISO file by this method,
Using Chrome, click this link.
>
Download - Microsoft

EDIT

It works from here, let me know how you go.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
OK will do that when back from my walk it does save the ISO somehow I must of found the exe not ISO originally. I take it once I get the ISO downloaded install the 7zip to open the ISO and run Windowsxp-kb9369290-sp3-x86-enu is that correct of what I need to run?

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Had a BSOD while throwing up IE tab also the other night its went not responding. Currently the BSOD is still up the memory dump didn't end and the hard drive activity is still ongoing. Error is Kernel_data_inpage_error win32k.sys - address bf870075 base at bf800000, datestamp 41107f7a and stop: 0x0000007a (0xe17e43c8, 0xc000000e, 0xbf870075, 0x2382c860)

Meant to say its a solid hard drive activity light not flicker at all. Please advise.

Edited by cmislin, 10 January 2014 - 10:26 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
IE has caused the BSOD, so going to ignore it until we have SP3 installed. Please follow these instructions.
Restart the computer. if it boots OK, carry on, otherwise, post.

Do not use IE. Start Chrome click on this link, > Download - Microsoft
Save the file so you don't get it mixed up with any other.

Download and install 7-zip, > http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
right click the ISO file, > Highlight 7-zip, > on the drop down menu, click extract file.
In the save box that opens, > click browse icon, > select Desktop, > click make new folder, > (name, correct ISO) > click OK, > Click OK.

Please close any running programs, including browsers, virus protection, if installed. Then.
Open the (correct ISO) and click on, AUTORUN....19KB ...Aplication ... 14/4/2008, and follow the prompts.
On completion, if asked, say yes to turning on Auto Update.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I only had IE tab open in chrome but I will try the steps above

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Yes please. IE or IE tab is only needed to access windows update sites because they us ActiveX controls.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
SP3 installed and in tern so is IE8 and rebooted and such but still windows update no go same error and even set the time to see if windows would run it via OS not browser way both browser way and OS way no go.

Forgot about the tools and windows update trying that now

Edited by cmislin, 11 January 2014 - 01:25 AM.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Its currently "checking for latest updates for your computer" been a few minutes

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
It took nearly an hour using the express method but only half that time using the Custom method.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
It finally went and it 1st updated windows update trying again now see where it goes.