Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with win7 lock ups and random BOSD getting frustrated

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

I don't know if you have experience working inside the computer, did you install the PSU yourself?

Make sure all the cables inside are firmly connected. Can you access the BIOS and check if the Hard Drive is recognized?

Advertisements

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yes I have had experience inside a pc. All the cables are connected. Can't get into the bios keyboard not responding. Everything was running smoothly Friday and Saturday. This is what I've tried so far. I reset the CMOS jumper and booted, keyboard responded but can't get into bios or any other option at all. I even let it sit for 20 mins at the bios splash screen saying entering setup. I shut down put the win7 cd in to see if it would boot from that nothing. I remembered my brother inlaw telling me that his hd was the same one I had and his crapped out last month. So I thought maybe....... And I pulled the drive from the motherboard and booted. I got 1 beep and went right to the bios. While I was in the bios I reset date and time. And turned off the pc. Replaced the drive and same thing couldn't get past the bios splash screen and keyboard didnt respond. (Oh I should mention before I did all that I changed out keyboards just to rule out it was my keyboard ) anyways I pulled the hd again. I happen to have a spare sata hd that was given to me from a non working computer. I was going to add it as a 2nd drive but just didnt do it yet. I took the other drive and plugged it in to my computer. And booted. And it tried to load the os that is on that. I exited and shut down. So I'm 98 % sure it's the hd so I am going to best buy first thing In the morning and picking up a new one.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Thank You for the update, thankfully you reinstall windows so I suppose all your data is safe.

When you have a bad power supply it can harm the other components... or I could be wrong and the problem was the HDD all along.

If you have a chance take the power supply to someplace with a tester to check before send it to recycling.

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 October 2013 - 02:30 AM.

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well I can't say that you might have been wrong since the whole thing started with it turning itself on and off over and over before it could even get to the bios splash screen. But I will save the old and I will find someone to run a test on it.

A few times I was thinking hdd or mb but I was leaning more to the psu. But I'm actually happy with the new psu its so quite I don't even hear it power on or anything plus more power bigger video card soon.

During the time you were helping me I ran tests that you suggested and I even downloaded seagate hdd diagnostic tools and it past. So I am going to have to go with the old psu fried it. Until I have it actually tested.

I'll you know how the new hdd goes.

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
SleepyDude

I sent you a PM

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
In case someone stumbles on the same problem installing Windows 7 on a new Hard Disk...

ERROR: Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware

Hi,

Your Windows 7 DVD doesn't have Service Pack 1?

I would try the Method 2: Change the BIOS hard disk drive setting to AHCI or IDE from the page you linked
http://support.micro....com/kb/2466753

Let me know if you can change the Hard Disk mode on the BIOS or not.

Edited by SleepyDude, 15 October 2013 - 04:36 PM.

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Yes I can when i looked

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ok i am in the bios

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Yes I can when i looked

What options do you have?

Also can you confirm that the Windows 7 DVD doesn't include the Service Pack 1?

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I can change it from Raid, IDE, AHCI .

Win7 DVD does not come with SP1. I bought it win7 first came out.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I can change it from Raid, IDE, AHCI .

Win7 DVD does not come with SP1. I bought it win7 first came out.

Ok, you have two options try to install with the BIOS set to AHCI or IDE and it should work with the DVD you have.

The second option is to download an updated Windows 7 ISO image already with Service Pack 1.

If you install with the DVD you have now you will need to install Service Pack 1 after the initial setup and that is something that will take time...

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i dont feel comfortable to enough to mess with the bios. I dont mind doing it one of the other two ways.

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
If i choose to do it with the one i have now. I will get “Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware” and then when i follow the steps to load driver from the method 1 steps i dont know what drivers to use. maybe i should just go with the win7 sp1 iso? where do i get that and will my key from mine work on it?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

i dont feel comfortable to enough to mess with the bios. I dont mind doing it one of the other two ways.

I understand but it's a simple change and the option is actually incorrectly set because you don't have a RAID setup.

You can download Windows 7 full ISO using the links on this page make sure you select the Edition matching the one you have a key for it.

Autumndreams

Autumndreams

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
It is set to RAID. It says SATA Controller Mode RAID. That's right, right?