Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP opens and reopens again... [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Here is the log of OTL.txt

Edited by Essexboy, 06 November 2013 - 04:11 PM.
OTL log removed

Advertisements

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
...and to answer your other question, internet is not wireless with this PC, but with a cable. And I had no specific problem to connect.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

...and to answer your other question, internet is not wireless with this PC, but with a cable. And I had no specific problem to connect.

But D-Link Wireless N DWA-140 is on the list of installed programs and there are some related drivers loading also Windows reports some problems with a service related to the device...

Please avoid doing changes to the system, I need some time to check the logs and discuss this case with my Teacher.

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
DLINK offers wireless internet for other devices, but this PC is not connected in wireless...

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Hi SleepyDude,
My computer is working well again ! I did nothing on it...
After last post, I have not shut down the computer, I was afraid that it would become worst next time I would open it...
Yesterday evening, I have finally shut it down. I have installed nothing new.
And this evening, I have opened the computer and everything was like after the "good" restore 2 days ago. I have immediately seen it: the image on the desktop was back, Google Chrome was in it, I can access my emails in outlook...
Shall I shut it down this evening ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like Sleepydude has worked the magic again. It has been at least 2 days now. :thumbsup:

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi SleepyDude,
My computer is working well again ! I did nothing on it...
After last post, I have not shut down the computer, I was afraid that it would become worst next time I would open it...
Yesterday evening, I have finally shut it down. I have installed nothing new.
And this evening, I have opened the computer and everything was like after the "good" restore 2 days ago. I have immediately seen it: the image on the desktop was back, Google Chrome was in it, I can access my emails in outlook...
Shall I shut it down this evening ?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay I was discussing your case with my Teacher...

Do you have more than one user account in your PC? Do you remember when you run the OTL scan if you use a different user to log-on?

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
there are many users but I always use the same : All family.
I can't have made a mistake, the button is so big on the screen that there is almost only that one I can select !
Remark : in OTL, it is written that I have logged as administrator. But I guess it is normal as All Family has the admin rights.

Edited by Jo21a, 07 November 2013 - 02:21 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

there are many users but I always use the same : All family.
I can't have made a mistake, the button is so big on the screen that there is almost only that one I can select !
Remark : in OTL, it is written that I have logged as administrator. But I guess it is normal as All Family has the admin rights.

Thanks for clarifying. If it's working now you should start by doing a Backup of all your critical files to an external device, external disk, USB flash drive or at least to another machine if the other options aren't available.

It's not normal that windows log you with a TEMP profile and now returned, we need to do some checking to the Hard Drive and sometimes the tests can stress the drive and make it to fail or corrupt data.

I want to know the brand of the Hard Disk you have, please execute this:
  • open Device Manager (Start > Run > devmgmt.msc)
  • expand the Disk Drives
  • take note about the HDD model and post

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
The disk drive is : ST3250824AS
Is this what you were looking for ?

Concerning the backup, I had already done it before posting for the first time here, for everything that is in My documents of all users + the D Drive. I have also checked now that my outlook files are also in my documents, so backup OK I think... but not for the programmes...

Shouldn't I create a restore point today ? I know you have asked me to do it last time via OTL, but as the PC didn't work properly...

Edited by Jo21a, 07 November 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

The disk drive is : ST3250824AS
Is this what you were looking for ?

Yep :thumbsup:

Concerning the backup, I had already done it before posting for the first time here, for everything that is in My documents of all users + the D Drive. I have also checked now that my outlook files are also in my documents, so backup OK I think... but not for the programmes...

Good.

Shouldn't I create a restore point today ? I know you have asked me to do it last time via OTL, but as the PC didn't work properly...

You can and yes OTL did created a restore point.

If the disk have some physical problems the Restore Point will not help, that's why I ask about the backup.

I would like to test the Hard Disk, please Download and install SeaTools for Windows
Execute the Basic Tests only:
  • Short Drive Self Test (20 to 90 seconds long)
  • Long Drive Self Test (may take up to 4 hours, progress in 10% increments)

Let me know if it passes the two tests.

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Had to install Microsoft.Net 4 to install Seetools.
Installation successful, when I ran Seetools it did not ask me for short or long test.
It wrote that it was scanning for supported drives. Then after 1 minute, I got this error message.

Fatal error : device discovery
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.String GetBootDriveSerialNumber ()

Then Seetools stopped.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Had to install Microsoft.Net 4 to install Seetools.
Installation successful, when I ran Seetools it did not ask me for short or long test.
It wrote that it was scanning for supported drives. Then after 1 minute, I got this error message.

Fatal error : device discovery
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. System.String GetBootDriveSerialNumber ()

Then Seetools stopped.

Did you restart after installing Net Framework?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like this is running from within windows?

Jo21a

Jo21a

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
now I restarted and I get the same result