Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Rolling screen virus?" [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

PattyB

PattyB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you so much for your help.

After the 11/16 Malware Bytes scan things seem to have settled down. I was on the Church Program & there wasn't a problem, except for the change that occurred there during one of the rolling episodes.

The answer to your question re: C:\Users\Pat\Desktop\Connect2Carol.exe is Yes. Carol is one of the Church Program technicians that has helped me with issues in the program. She is one of a number of techs. I have dealt with there.

My screen is not flipping now. I tried using it in safe mode & it didn't flip & it's not flipping now in the reg. mode. The real test may be when I go onto the Church Program. that would get pretty bad with rolling & even losing some info.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Thank you so much for your help.

You are welcome. :)

That's good news.
I asked about the C:\Users\Pat\Desktop\Connect2Carol.exe program because MalwareBytes quarantined and deleted it. I'm not sure why you would need an executable file, Connect2Carol.exe to connect to a support tech.

I'm thinking there may have been something in this executable program that caused the issue. Does the church program start automatically when you boot Windows up or do you have to click on a file to start it after Windows boots up? And if you have to click a file, do you normally do that first thing after Windows boots up?

If all else seems to be OK then we need to update your Java program and then we can start cleaning up the tools we have used.

Posted Image JAVA Advice
WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software or need it to play games on-line.
In that instance I would recommend that you only use Firefox or Chrome to visit those sites and do the following:If you still want to update your Java, follow the instructions below:

A.
Your version of Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older versions of Java components and update:

• Download the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) Version from Here or Here and save it to your desktop.
  • Look for "Java Platform, Standard Edition". You will see the current Java version and update number under listed under the heading. Example: The newest update is Java SE 7u45
  • Click the "Download button under the JRE" column.
  • On the Java SE Runtime Environment page, click the button to "Accept License Agreement".
  • Under the Java SE Runtime Environment 7u45 heading:
    To install the version for your system:
    • For Windows 64bit systems, look for Windows x64 29.27MB, click the jre-7u45-windows-64.exe file and save it to your desktop. Do Not run it from the Java site.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.

B.
Uninstall all versions of Java

• Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs. The list of installed programs will populate.
  • Click the Start Orb, then Control Panel. Under the Programs or Programs and Features section click Uninstall a program. The list of installed programs will populate.
  • Remove all older versions of Java. These may call themselves: Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, J2RE or J2SE
    The versions I see on the computer are:
    Java™ 6 Update 20 (64-bit)
    Java™ 6 Update 22
  • Right click each program and click Uninstall and follow the on screen instructions for the Java uninstaller.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java version.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
    -- Starting with Java 6u10, the uninstaller incorporated in each new release uses Enhanced Auto update to automatically remove the previous version when updating to a later update release. It will not remove older versions, so they will need to be removed manually.
C.
Install the latest JAVA

• Back on your desktop:
    • Right click the jre-7u25-windows-x64.exefile and click Run as Administrator and OK the UAC prompt to install the newest version.
  • When the Java Setup - Welcome window opens, click the Install > button.
  • If offered to install a Toolbar, just uncheck the box before continuing unless you want it.

[Note:] The Java Quick Starter (JQS.exe) adds a service to improve the initial start up time of Java applets and applications. To disable the JQS service if you don't want to use it, go to Start > Control Panel > You will have to be in Classic View to see Java(It looks like a coffee cup). Double-click on Java click the Advanced Tab click Miscellaneous and uncheck the box for Java Quick Starter. Click OK and reboot your computer.

Special Note: After you have updated Java, if you notice that some programs won't run properly it is probably because they also need the 32-bit version of Java installed. As an example of this, older versions of Firefox reqiured the 32-bit version of Java. But some 64-bit systems seem to run perfectly well without the 32-bit version installed.
At any rate, if you notice this behavior just download and install the 32-bit version of Java.

Things For Your Next Post:
Please post the logs in the order requested. Do Not attach the logs unless I request it.
1. Let me knwo how the Java update went and answer my questions above.

PattyB

PattyB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I'm sorry, but, no-script was so confusing I couldn't get anything to work in my browser.

You asked about the connect2Carol.exe program. You had a question about whether an executable file was necessary. I don't know the answer to that. I would have to contact the tech at Churchpro to find out. I do have to click on this file right after Windows boots up.

I will tell you that there are a number of technicians that help me when I need it. I don't always get the same technician. Carol is one of the techs I have used there.

The Java program has been updated & it was a success.

Thanks for your help.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Thanks for the info. And you are welcome.

I'm sorry, but, no-script was so confusing I couldn't get anything to work in my browser.

NoScript stops all JavaScript and Java plugins from running on any web site you visit unless you tell it to allow them. Most /all web sites require Java Script, but there aren't very many that require Java in order to run properly.
When NoScript is installed there should be an Options button at the bottom of each web page if NoScript has blocked JavaScripts or Java plugins from executing on that page. You click on that Options button and then you will see a list of sites that Java has been blocked from. You can click the Temporarily allow (whatever the site is) and NoScripts will allow scripts from that page. If you are on a web site that you know is clean, like the Microsoft site, you can click Allow instead of Temporarily allow and the site will be put in the white list and NoScripts won't block it any longer. If the Options button is not there, put the mouse pointer over the NoScripts icon up next to the browser address bar and click Options... On the Options page click the Appearance tab and under the Show... section, click both boxes and then click OK. You can get to the NoScripts site to read more about it by clicking here. Or, you can just uninstall it.

You had a question about whether an executable file was necessary. I don't know the answer to that. I would have to contact the tech at Churchpro to find out. I do have to click on this file right after Windows boots up.

If you have to click on that file after Windows boots up and MalwareBytes quarantined, and deleted the file, what do you click on now?

Let me know if everything else is ok and we'll start the cleanup process. This is important.

PattyB

PattyB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you for your response.

I would like to tell you the steps I go through with the church program. (This is the program that has "connect to Carol.exe: who is one of the techs that has helped me.)
If I am having a problem with something that requires me to talk to a tech at churchpro I go to Internet Explorer & type in the web address. This brings up a page with the names of the different techs at churchpro. I call their phone no. & whoever answers will tell me to click on their name. I do this & then a window comes up that I have to click on to connect them with my computer. That person then can take over on my computer to fix whatever I need to have them fix. For example, the program went completely off my computer during the processes I was doing with geeks to go. I called & connected with Patty.exe yesterday & she brought the program back up on my computer. When the session ends I click to quit & that tech is no longer on my computer.

If I merely want to do the church business on churchpro, I simply click on the churchpro icon on my desktop. That gets me to the pages I have to do my work on.

I had to do work on churchpro today & my computer screen was jumping & rolling like crazy. I kept exiting the program & coming back on. After doing this a number of times, it settled down & worked o.k. It just doesn't make any sense to me. It's behaving perfectly now as I'm typing this.

As for NoScript, I do not want to use it.

I hope I explained everything in a way that was understandable.

Thank you again for all your time & work.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Thanks for the explanation. I don't see any malware left on the system. And it sounds to me like the screen problems begin when in the churchpro program. It may be a file in the program or an audio or video driver that the program has installed. You would need to check with their support to see if they have an update available for the program.

For the drivers we can check the Device Manager and see if there are any problems.

Click the Start button and click Run.
In the Run box type devmgmt.msc and click OK. The Device Manager should open.
Look for any Red Xs or Yellow triangles, exclamation marks or question marks.
If you see any, click the + beside the device and post a screen shot.

Capture a Screen Shot

• When you have the screen up that you want to capture...click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key. This will put the screen shot in the clipboard.
  • Click on Start>> All Programs>> Accessories>> Paint. A Paint window will open up.
  • Left click in the white area and press the CTRL + V keys. This will paste the screen shot from the clipboard into the Paint window.
  • On the Menu bar at the top of the Paint window, click on File, click on Save and save it to your desktop.
  • In the File Name box, name it something related to the screen your capturing.
  • In the Save as type: box, BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload.

Upload a file or Screen Shot and put it in a post:

• Click the Add Reply button an the bottom of the last post. That will load the Full Editor.
    • Type or copy and past any text you need in the post. When you get to the point where you want to attach a file:
  • Scroll down and click the Browse button. A new window will open where you can browse your computer for the file to upload..

a. Select the file. This will put the file in the File Name box on the Choose File to Upload window.
    b. Click Open. This will put the file name and path in the Attachments section of the post editor.

• Click the Attach This File button. This will open a new box under the Attachments section that has the file name.
  • To the right of the file name you will see Add to Post | Delete
  • Click on Add to Post. This will attach the file to the post.
  • Once you have completed your post and are ready to submit it, click the Add Reply button.
Some screen shots of the process can be seen here

PattyB

PattyB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Again I say thank you for all your help.

I am having trouble with the instructions you sent me. When I click on the start button I don't see any place to click on Run.
What am I missing here?

Thank you.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
The Run... command should be on the Start menu. Like the photo below:

Posted Image

If the run button isn't there you can either put it on the Start menu or envoke the Run box from the keyboard.

Click here for instructions on how to do it.

PattyB

PattyB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi There

I got the run command at the bottom of the start menu. Thank you for that.

I saw no red x's, yellow triangles, exclamation marks or ? marks.

What do I do next, if anything?

Thank you

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Ok, so there isn't a problem with any devices. Can you tell me if the audio and video are integrated into the motherboard chipset on the computer or if there are audio / video cards installed in the computer? If you don't know please open the Device Manager again, click the + beside Display adapters and the + beside Sound, video and game controllers and post a screen shot showing both.

Also, is the CPU usage still at 100%? And is this still only once you have connected to the internet or is it high all of the time?

Advertisements

PattyB

PattyB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi. This is my daughter, LOL. I came up to check things out, I've been helping her but kinda wound up in the hospital for a couple of days and threw a wrench in the works. My apologies. I checked her CPU usage with the Task Manager and it was running up to 5% so that's ok. This computer is integrated, it's a Dell. Well, you know what I mean. But, she hasn't had any complaints and the flipping has stopped. I cleaned up all the tools and logs used. I don't think we need to do anything else. I really want to thank you for helping her out. She has come miles in using the puter in just a couple of years as she was doing her own work there at the end with no coaching. So, if you're happy, I think we're happy. Thanks again so much, from me and Patty B!

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hi,

I'm sorry you had to visit the hospital. Hope everything is ok. I'm glad everything is ok with the computer but there are still a few files that I was going to remove during the clean up procedures that we go through.
Please tell me what you did to clean up the tools and logs as there are probably other files/folders that were missed.
It is important that we do the clean up and there are also some prevention suggestions that I would like to share with you / her.

thanks

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.