Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Update Repeating same Update KB2868038

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi Ztrucker and DonnaB,

No FN key on keyboard. I was using same DELL reinstallation CD that I used in November. I finally got to the setup file and selected new installation, but this time it asked for Product Key (did not in November). I have two computers running XP Home SP3, one is DELL Dimension 9100 (the one I'm trying to re-format) and a DELL laptop. I think this DELL CD is from the laptop which I bought refurbished from DELL in 2010. The only COA sticker on it is for VISTA, not XP and it came with XP loaded on same. In short, I apparently don't have the Product key for this CD because when I enter the Product key for the DELL 9100 computer, it rejects it and the laptop sticker has Product key for VISTA.

What I can't figure out is why the CD is asking for the Product key now and didn't in November.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hey Guys,

Since I've not figured out how to reformat my hard drive and start over, I thought that I just may wait until next year and try Windows 7 (but I really like XP). So..... I went ahead and installed my new Turbo Tax software and it required NETWORK 4.0, which it had and installed same before installing Turbo Tax.

No problems with the installation and later on in the day, I got another notify icon from Windows Automatic Updates in the taskbar. Well, it wanted to install 11 updates mostly for NETWORK 4 but two of them were our old friends KB2868038 (which installed) and KB2863058 (which failed). The update required a reboot and afterwards the update icon reapeared and our two old friends were back.

The interesting fact about all this is that apparently if you are having these kind of update install problems, new updates can still install. Maybe I can limp by 'til next year.

Your thoughts please!

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hey guys,

Another interesting note. When I used All-In-One program, the double Network Connection icons reappeared in Control Panel. I used the same registry change as before to delete one.

barneyhelper