Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help can't update windows 7 internet explorer as i get error

• Please log in to reply

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Had to unzip file first then program ran correctly.

7.Upon completion, a file should be created on your Desktop: SFCFix.txt.

8.Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Ctrl+V) the contents of this file into your next post for me to analyse please. - attached file

Please run the System Update Readiness Tool x64 again and attach the updated log c:\windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log - ran program 4 times Attached CheckSUR.log

Attached Files

Advertisements

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
just realized sfcfix.txt file stated it did not use script - probably because i unzipped it first

Downloading SFCFix.exe and SFCFix.zip to desktop using google chrome and got the same results here's the log

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

just realized sfcfix.txt file stated it did not use script - probably because i unzipped it first

Downloading SFCFix.exe and SFCFix.zip to desktop using google chrome and got the same results here's the log

Yes I notice. Isn't your problem as I can reproduce the exact same result here.

I'm contacting Tom about the problem with the tool, I will get back to you when we figure what is going on.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

It seems there is some problem with SFCFix, Tom just passed the information to Niemiro the author of the tool...

Please extract the SFCFix.zip to the Desktop then drag the extracted file SFCFix.txt onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it, the fix should be processed now. Please post the result.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Please extract the SFCFix.zip to the Desktop then drag the extracted file SFCFix.txt onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it, the fix should be processed now. - did this here's the result:

Welcome to SFCFix by niemiro and sysnative.com.

Checking for updates . . .
No new update is available at this time.

Processing directive 1 of 1 (AutoAnalysis::)
Checking store directories . . .
Checking CBS.log . . .
Checking CheckSUR.log . . .

Attempting repair . . .
Stage 1
Stage 2
Stage 3

SUMMARY:
CBS & SFC total detected corruption count: 1
CBS & SFC total unimportant corruption count: 0
CBS & SFC total fixed corruption count: 0
SURT total detected corruption count: 1
SURT total unimportant corruption count: 0
SURT total fixed corruption count: 0

Press any key to continue to explanation of summary . . .

Displaying Message 1 of 1

Some detected corruptions could not be repaired automatically.

If you are currently being instructed by a helper, you should let them know
about this development by sending them the logfile which will soon be generated
so that they can perform a manual fix.

If you are not currently being instructed by a helper, you should seek free
advice from your favourite forum or sysnative.com. Create a new thread and
provide this logfile in the first post of that thread

Press any key to continue . . .

Attached log but it still says not using script.

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

Please download the following script RunFix.cmd save the file to the Desktop where you should have the SFCFix Program and the SFCFix.txt script.

Double click the RunFix.cmd script, accept the security warning.

Please post the log generated by SFCFix.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Please download the following script RunFix.cmd save the file to the Desktop where you should have the SFCFix Program and the SFCFix.txt script. - downloaded and saved to desck top as RunFix.cmd.

Double click the RunFix.cmd script, accept the security warning - Double clicked RunFix.cmd widow opened and closed by itself.

Please post the log generated by SFCFix. - I did not run sfc fix and no log generated by double cliking RunFix.cmd

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi slathor,

Can you delete your copy of SFCFix.exe and any of the scripts that have been provided so far, then do this please?

SFCFix Script

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

• Download SFCFix.exe (by niemiro) and save this to your Desktop.
  • Download the attached file, SFCFix.txt, and save this to your Desktop. Ensure that this file is named SFCFix.txt - do not rename it.
  • Save any open documents and close all open windows.
  • On your Desktop, you should see two files: SFCFix.exe and SFCFix.txt.
  • Drag the file SFCFix.txt onto the file SFCFix.exe and release it.
  • SFCFix will now process the script.
  • Upon completion, a log should be created on your Desktop: SFCFix.txt.
  • Copy (Ctrl + C) and Paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of this into your next post for me to analyse please.

Then run the System Update Readiness Tool again, and post the log please:

C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

Tom

Edited by tom982, 24 December 2013 - 06:14 PM.

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Tom the SFCFix.txt file is not located in your post for download.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Tom the SFCFix.txt file is not located in your post for download.

Hi,

I have attached the file...

Edited by SleepyDude, 28 December 2013 - 06:46 AM.

Advertisements

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Tom that SFCFix.txt file contains no script - download and check file - when i downloaded and ran this what I got : attached log

as you can see your download is an empty .txt file.

Even the attached file of yours is only 2 bytes in size.

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Tom that SFCFix.txt file contains no script - download and check file - when i downloaded and ran this what I got : attached log

as you can see your download is an empty .txt file.

Even the attached file of yours is only 2 bytes in size.

Sorry I have uploaded the wrong file.

The correct Attached File  SFCFix.txt   460bytes   273 downloads

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok finally some progress:

Please download the following script RunFix.cmd save the file to the Desktop where you should have the SFCFix Program and the SFCFix.txt script - completed

Please post the log generated by SFCFix. - done

Then run the System Update Readiness Tool again, and post the log please. - done

Attached Files

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hi slathor,

Sorry for the confusion about the attachment, not entirely sure how I did that! Eugh, I was hoping that wouldn't happen. The C mark that was missing is one part of a long chain of data, and because it was missing the SURT was unable to detect errors further down the chain - now we've fixed this, it's found the next one which is hopefully the last! I would like to see the whole hive so I can judge the extent of the damage:

Upload a file to Dropbox

Note: If you prefer, the same techniques can be applied to your Skydrive however these instructions may not necessarily work for Skydrive.

• If you haven't already created a Dropbox account, please do so Here
  • Although this procedure can be done directly through the website, it is much easier to do so via the Windows client which can be downloaded from the Dropbox website:

https://www.dropbox.com/install
  • After you have downloaded and installed that, you should now see Dropbox in your Favourites box in Windows Explorer. This is the folder that will be synchronised with the Dropbox servers, anything that you wish to back up online can be put in here, but today we will be using it to transfer files.

Posted Image

• To access your Dropbox folder, just click on the link in the top left hand corner of Windows Explorer (accessible from any location - Documents etc.). Alternatively, you can double click on the icon Posted Image found in your system tray (next to the time). If you are still having issues locating this folder, unless otherwise specified, it can be found under this location: C:\Users\{Your username}\Dropbox
  • Copy all of the following files to the Public folder in your Dropbox:

• C:\Windows\system32\config\components (it has no file extension)
  • Select all files by pressing Ctrl+A then right-click and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder
  • This will create a .zip Posted Image file in your Public folder.
  • Right-click on this file and select Posted ImageCopy Public Link then Paste (Ctrl+V) this link into your next post for me please

Tom

slathor

slathor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
ok I think I did this right, heres the link: https://www.dropbox..../components.zip