Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD xp emeraldnzl [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I was gone most of the day not sure. But I did noticed that none of the addon for chrome work now even though they are enabled. They both say webpage not found when i click on the icons. I will give it a week or so run as normally do and see if anymore BSOD. The addons are only gmail notification and tv watch.

Edited by cmislin, 24 November 2013 - 06:26 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello again cmislin,

The addons are only gmail notification and tv watch.

Some bad stuff was removed from your browsers so I guess they must have got caught up with the cleaning.

You may have to reinstall those.

Also, if I remember rightly it was Chrome that was the worst offender with the BSOD's so it will be interesting to see if the TV one causes any difficulty when reinstalled. Can't imagine the gmail notification being a problem unless it itself was infected.

Now

Your logs look okay to me. :thumbsup:

We will clean away the tools we have been using and I will leave the topic open for a day or two so that you can come back if any issue arises.

I think your machines is good to go now.

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.

• Go to Start > Programs > Accessories and click on Run
  • Copy and paste the the bolded text below in the box then hit OK

Combofix /Uninstall

Posted Image
Step 2
  • Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.
Any remaining tools may be deleted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if uninstalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Java warning

Java is a popular point of entry to your computer for malicous programs. The United States Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java see here. Unless you need it to run an important software the safest approach is to completely uninstall Java. Where you do require it then the next safest option is to disable it in your browsers until you need it, then enable it.

How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser

If you do still need Java then regularly check that it is up to date. Older versions are the most vulnerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CryptoLocker Warning

There is a particularly nasty infection out there at the moment.

Go here for information about CryptoLocker Ransomeware

Download CryptoPrevent free for home use.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
* Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
* Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

Have a safe and happy computing day!

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Ok will do and the extension for from that tv one is this
https://chrome.googl...hjfojjindefnffk

Also if I do get a BSOD should I post here or old thread?

Edited by cmislin, 24 November 2013 - 11:15 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Ok will do and the extension for from that tv one is this
https://chrome.googl...hjfojjindefnffk

Try it and see how it goes.

Also if I do get a BSOD should I post here or old thread?

Come back here, we can have a look to see whether its something we can deal with or whether you should go back to the technical side. :)

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Had a BSOD today I don't even recall if I have chrome open or not. Here are the standard logs Whocrash and bluescreen viewer.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.txt   5.58KB   161 downloads

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hmm... before we send you back to the techs I think we should check a couple of possibilities:

Might be some corruption somewhere... could be caused by malware, file damage or hard drive corruption. I guess most of that would have been looked at before you came here. Sometimes you can get corruption during the malware cleaning process so I think it's worth running these even if you have done them already.

Firstly

Please run the System File Checker.

Follow these steps:

• Click Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (note the space, it should be there), and then press ENTER.
  • Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
  • Restart your computer when System File Checker process is complete.
When you come back tell me if system file checker found anything.

After that

Please download Security Check by screen317 from here .

• Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
So when you return please
  • tell me SFC found anything
  • post checkup.txt

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
SFC gave no log or what not just close when done saying nothing.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.77
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
Please wait while WMIC compiles updated MOF files.d
i
s
p
l
a
y
N
a
m
e
ECHO is off.
A
V
G
ECHO is off.
A
n
t
i
V
i
r
u
s
ECHO is off.
F
r
e
ECHO is off.
E
d
i
t
i
o
n
ECHO is off.
ECHO is off.
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
CCleaner
Java 7 Update 45
Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.152
Adobe Reader XI
Mozilla Firefox (25.0.1)
Google Chrome 31.0.1650.48
Google Chrome 31.0.1650.57
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
AVG avgwdsvc.exe
AVG avgrsx.exe
AVG avgnsx.exe
AVG avgemc.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 4%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Please run chkdsk.

To do this:

• Click Start, select Run,
  • Then type cmd in the box; to get to the Command Prompt utility
  • Click Ok
  • Run the chkdsk utility by typing in the following command:
chkdsk c: /f /r

Note: The gaps should be there.

• at the question "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" type Y
  • Restart you computer and let chkdsk run
The /f command automatically fixes any errors encountered, the /r command locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Be patient, it can take a long time.

When it's finished come back and tell me how it went.

Also

Sometimes an anti-virus program can interfere with something it doesn't like, causing problems. You might try uninstall AVG and trying something else for a bit to see if that helps. If you think that is a good idea here are two good anti-virus programs free for personal use that you can choose from:

Note: Do not use more than one anti-virus or firewall. Running two or more real-time anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall monitors at the same time can cause a conflict. That conflict can result in slow computer performance, error messages, crashes of the programs or other types of failure. You will very likely end up with little or no protection.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
If I recall Avast doesn't seem to work well on my computer. I've tried MSE before even if I turn it off for gaming it horrible lags my computer and makes the protection almost worthless at that point. Would you have any other suggestions of antivirus? Also I will tell ya the chkdsk last time I did with /f and /r the one that runs before windows boots actually BSOD last time I did it. But I have no problem trying again.

Edited by cmislin, 25 November 2013 - 05:52 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Would you have any other suggestions of antivirus?

No, those are the only free for home use ones I would recommend.

It was only something to try if you wished.

Also I will tell ya the chkdsk last time I did with /f and /r the one that runs before windows boots actually BSOD last time I did it.

I wonder if that was an indication of an hard disk problem. Might be something to take further in the tech forum.

But I have no problem trying again.

Well up to you but it might tell us something.

Advertisements

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
1st time threw said clean and then said please wait I waited like 3 hrs and it must of hung up. So I hard powered it down and rebooted it started the scan again. I only hard powered it done because after 3 hrs of please waiting and such I saw no cpu light activity of any kind. I'm currently posting from my brothers spare laptop. The 2nd try is currently at stage 4 of 5. Well for now I will stay with AVG the 1st thread I had on bsod issues (not the 2nd one) I did try both of those choices for antivirus and didn't care for either. I found no way to make them run gaming friendly at all. So far in the scanning I haven't see anything its fixed or done beyond the scan. Is there a log from this that can be accessed when windows finally boots up?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Try this:

Go to Start and in the Search programs and files panel type Administrative tools

Click on and open Administrative tools and go to Event viewer > Windows logs > double click Application and Click on 'source' at the middle top to sort by ascending/ descending order. Locate 'wininit' and click on it to view.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
I will when its done as I stated currently on my brothers spare laptop right now waiting for my machine to get threw chkdsk or attempt 2nd time. Watching it more than before now to see if it found anything as it goes. But at soon as its up and booted I will check that info ya posted out.

Well I let the 2nd chkdsk run its course no problems found but it did BSOD I will write out the code here after I explain. I rebooted after the BSOD and windows wanted to chk the drive again I hit any key to bypass and its currently stuck there. I'm giving it time to make sure no hard drive activity before I power down again any advice? I do that the recovery console as a startup option. Here is the error it didn't state the type just the address and such.

stop 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xb85f651d, 0xb84ebc3c, 0xb84eb938)

FS_rec.sys

-address
b85f651d base at b85f6000, datestamp 3b7d8361

If ya check my older thread on BSOD that might be the same error for the BSOD that happened for chkdsk or atleast same
file

Further update its currently stuck bypasses the scan that was done before the BSOD hit after chkdsk was done. It hangs there a good hour before hdd activity ceases. I starts to bypass the chkdsk and starts the dot line like it will boot to xp normally then spots.

Edited by cmislin, 26 November 2013 - 10:08 AM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Outside my area now.

The problems with running chkdsk are better dealt with by technical experts.

I think you need to go back to your old thread. Tell them that the BSOD's are still there and provide a link here and see if they can find a technical reason for your problems.

From a malware perspective:

• We did find some malware which we cleaned.
  • There could be conflict going on with your anti-virus programs - this is evidenced from your reports of problems with AVAST and MSE both of which work fine on other XP machines. Also AVG has caused problems on some machines too. If it is conflict with your AV's I would try MSE as the most likely to work but as you say that doesn't seem to work for you. A paid for AV might be your best option. Maybe ESET or BitDefender.
  • SFC appeared to run without finding anything. If it had run into difficulties, I would have suggested you uninstall and reinstall SP3 to fix any corruption in your files.

cmislin

cmislin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Outside my area now.

The problems with running chkdsk are better dealt with by technical experts.

I think you need to go back to your old thread. Tell them that the BSOD's are still there and provide a link here and see if they can find a technical reason for your problems.

From a malware perspective:

• We did find some malware which we cleaned.
  • There could be conflict going on with your anti-virus programs - this is evidenced from your reports of problems with AVAST and MSE both of which work fine on other XP machines. Also AVG has caused problems on some machines too. If it is conflict with your AV's I would try MSE as the most likely to work but as you say that doesn't seem to work for you. A paid for AV might be your best option. Maybe ESET or BitDefender.
  • SFC appeared to run without finding anything. If it had run into difficulties, I would have suggested you uninstall and reinstall SP3 to fix any corruption in your files.

Thank you for your help I will head back to my other thread