Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transcend Back up Drive Fails to Back up

Best Answer 123Runner , 25 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

I use SyncBack Free for backing up my drives, folders, and files. It does a really great job. The nice thing about Syncback is that the files and folders can be looked at via windows explorer. You... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Solving error 0×80080005 of Windows Backup (Access is denied)

?

Edited by SpywareDr, 18 January 2014 - 09:47 AM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Can we fix the problems that show up on the log?

The error I'm referring to:

Error: (01/13/2014 11:15:35 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

That's why I ask about the chkdsk. The error could be related to another external device you use, maybe a flash drive!
The chkdsk didn't find any problem with the Transcend drive according to the last log.

Can you tell me what files you have if any inside the folder c:\windows\Logs\WindowsBackup?

Are you trying to do a Full Backup?

Edited by SleepyDude, 18 January 2014 - 09:36 AM.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Can we fix the problems that show up on the log?

The error I'm referring to:

Error: (01/13/2014 11:15:35 PM) (Source: Disk) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1.

That's why I ask about the chkdsk. The error could be related to another external device you use, maybe a flash drive!
The chkdsk didn't find any problem with the Transcend drive according to the last log.

Can you tell me what files you have if any inside the folder c:\windows\Logs\WindowsBackup?

Are you trying to do a Full Backup?

The second time I ran chkdsk, it was still running after 3 hours when I turned in for the night. It was only 50% completed after 3 hours, so it may have taken up to 6 hours to complete.
I use a wireless mouse and keyboard and nothing else that would use ports (except for the Transcend drive, of course). Yes, I attempted a full backup.
Here is what is in the file:
file:///C:\Users\Brain\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.pngfile:///C:\Users\Brain\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image004.pngfile:///C:\Users\Brain\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image006.pngfile:///C:\Users\Brain\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image008.pngfile:///C:\Users\Brain\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image010.png

WindowsBackup.etl, as well as the same name only numbered 1 - 4.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Solving error 0×80080005 of Windows Backup (Access is denied)

?

At the end of the editing process described in your linked article, should I hit apply? I did hit continue, then I received a final message saying that access is denied and my choices was retry or cancel. Retry just sent back to the editing process all over again. If I competed the process now, without hitting apply, should I try another full backup?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If what was outlined didn't work I don't know what to tell you. That's why I added the question mark above ... because I didn't know if it was applicable or would even work.

AFAIC, Windows Backup canNOT be trusted as a reliable Backup and Restore solution . . . not for my data anyway.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Yes, I have decided to give up on Windows backup and restore. Over this 3 day weekend (MLK holiday on Monday), I am going to look at the free backup sites you sent me and 'll most likely use one of those from now on.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

WindowsBackup.etl, as well as the same name only numbered 1 - 4.

Can you attach the WindowsBackup.etl file or share the file using Dropbox please.

Edited by SleepyDude, 18 January 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
Here are all the files:

https://www.dropbox....owsBackup.2.etl

https://www.dropbox....owsBackup.1.etl

https://www.dropbox....ndowsBackup.etl

https://www.dropbox....owsBackup.3.etl

https://www.dropbox....owsBackup.4.etl

Edited by Braind, 18 January 2014 - 06:57 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi Braind,

Thanks for the files but unfortunately I couldn't get any usefully information from them, I can see lots of records but all empty...

I suppose you don't have another external drive to test the backup?

Braind

Braind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
I just have the Transcend external drive.

Edited by Braind, 19 January 2014 - 11:38 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
✓  Best Answer
I use SyncBack Free for backing up my drives, folders, and files. It does a really great job.
The nice thing about Syncback is that the files and folders can be looked at via windows explorer. You can set the program up to copy in numerous ways. I run it at night when I am not using the computer.

I use EaseUS Recovery Free to image my drives. You can purchase Easeus and it will do back ups on a schedule (not available in Free version).

I never trusted Microsoft's built in backup program.