Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Department of justice virus [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

kitsu2

kitsu2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am on a windows xp laptop, it has been infected with a virus which locks out the computer with a department of justice screen asking for $300. I have tried doing a factory reset on the computer, but f11 on the bootscreen doesn't do anything. I don't have any of the original disks, and I am not worried about losing any files. My malwarebytes is not picking any threats up and I am unable to do a system restore. I'd Appreciate it if anyone could help me.

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello,

:welcome: Can you boot the computer into Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking?

Reboot into Safe Mode.

• Restart Windows in Safe Mode. To do that....
  • Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key.
  • An Advanced Boot Options screen will come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.
    NOTE: If you miss the Boot menu, continue to let the machine boot up. Then restart the machine and start tapping the F8 key.
    Very Important: Never restart the computer while it is booting up. Bad things, including the computer not being able to load Windows, can occur!
  • Use the down arrow key to highlight Safe Mode with networking and push the ENTER key.

Windows XP
Posted Image

If you were unable to boot into Safe Mode with networking, try just Safe Mode.

kitsu2

kitsu2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for responding so quickly! I have actually tried to boot into safemode,safemode with networking, and safemode with command prompt. When i try it will begin booting, but then it will flash with a blue screen and restart the computer all the way from the beginning. it will do this everytime untill you boot normally. Any other ideas?

Edited by kitsu2, 18 February 2014 - 10:25 PM.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

...it will do this everytime untill you boot normally.

Are you saying that you can boot into Windows normally?

If you can't boot up normally, or in any other mode, we will need a second computer that we can download files onto. Does the sick computer have a CD/DVD drive and USB ports?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.