Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Had laptop fixed now its slow [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Click on the Windows folder, then the Minidump folder. Left click the 041614-20420-01.dmp file and then hold the Shift key down and left click the 032214-35942-01.dmp file. This will enable you to select them both.

just spent 20 mins trying to do this and I cant do it so I tryed to do it seperate. I right click and there is nothing telling me to archive it

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Click on the Windows folder, then the Minidump folder. Left click the 041614-20420-01.dmp file and then hold the Shift key down and left click the 032214-35942-01.dmp file. This will enable you to select them both.

just spent 20 mins trying to do this and I cant do it so I tryed to do it seperate. I right click and there is nothing telling me to archive it

Let's try it this way.  When you reply to this topic, select More Reply Options at the bottom right side of the reply box. 

When the reply box expands, look to the lower left and Attach the 2 files by clicking Browse and then navigating to the location of the 2 dmp files and select one of them and attach it.  You will have to attach each file separately.

When you select one, then click on the Attach this File button.  :thumbsup;

Also, your logs show you still have 2 anti-virus programs running.  Please uninstall Avast Anti-Virus from your machine.

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

oh my days its says I dont have permission to open it

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

oh my days its says I dont have permission to open it

No worries, let's change the permissions so that it will let you access it. :thumbsup:

Here are the steps to modify ownership and permissions of folders and files:

1. Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

2. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

3. Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

· To change the owner to a user or group that is not listed, click Other users and groups and, in Enter the object name to select (examples), type the name of the user or group, and then click OK.

· To change the owner to a user or group that is listed, in the Change owner to box, click the new owner.

4. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

5. Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of, in our case the C:\Windows\Minidump folder

6. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations

An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.

Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control.

Once these steps are complete, you should be able to attach and send the 2 minidump files. :thumbsup:

Also, please remember to uninstall Avast Anti-Virus to eliminate the dual anti-virus problem.

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Avast has been uninstalled

I have tried all of that but it wont let me in . There is a padlock on the folder I have set it toshiba...toshiba owner and toshiba admin and it still isnt working I then sent tit to documents and it still says I dont have permission

Computer now running so slow it takes 10 minutes to log on , when I shut it down a bsod appears and windows shuts it down

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

I have tried all of that but it wont let me in . There is a padlock on the folder I have set it toshiba...toshiba owner and toshiba admin and it still isnt working I then sent tit to documents and it still says I dont have permission

Try this: Left click on one of the files, and then right click. In the menu that pops up, do you see Take Ownership? If so, click on that, and if it completes that command, do it for the other file as well. :thumbsup:

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

no it doesnt work 

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hi :)  Let's try this method.

http://www.sevenforu...structions.html

Please follow the instructions listed at the link above. :thumbsup:

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

is this it

Attached Files

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Yes :)

I'm checking with my colleagues regarding the contents of the files, and will post back as soon as possible. :thumbsup:

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello :)

We have some work to do, so let's get started.

Step 1: FRST Fix
  • Open notepad (Start =>All Programs => Accessories => Notepad). Please copy the entire contents of the code box below. (To do this highlight the contents of the box, right click on it and select copy.
  • Right-click in the open notepad and select Paste).
  • Save it on the desktop as fixlist.txt

Start
Hosts: Hosts file not detected in the default directory
End

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait. The tool will make a log on the desktop (Fixlog.txt) please post it in your next reply.

Step 2: Check For Hardware Problems

If possible, please print this set of instructions out.

1.) Restart your computer and when the screen comes on, repeatedly press the F8 key. Your computer should bring up the menu pictured below.

what-is-windows-recovery-console_zps67be

2.) When the menu comes up, please select Repair Your Computer.

3.) The computer will come up to a window and ask you to select your language and keyboard. Once you have entered those, the next window will have your user name and request your password.

4.) Once you have entered these, you should have the menu as seen in the picture below:

win7recoverytools_zps911081e3.jpg

5.) Please select Windows Memory Diagnostic and Windows will begin testing the computer's memory. This may take a while and it may seem like it's not running, but it is.

6.) Once it has finished, if problems are found, it will generate a report after the machine reboots.

7.) If it finds errors, please post the log.

[b]Things I need to see in your next post:

Fixlog.txt log

Memory Diagnostics Report (If one is produced.)

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

step 1 same prob as before when I press fix 

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Hello :)

According to the last log from FRST, you are running it from here:  Running from C:\Users\Toshiba\Downloads  You should find the fixlog.txt in that directory.

dustypink

dustypink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x64) Version: 19-04-2014
Ran by Toshiba at 2014-04-19 19:13:36 Run:2
Running from C:\Users\Toshiba\Downloads
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

Content of fixlist:
Start
Hosts: Hosts file not detected in the default directory
End

Hosts was reset successfully.

==== End of Fixlog ====

dustypink

dustypink