Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 8.1 KB2919355 update fails

• Please log in to reply

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

The dism log doesn't include dates I'm not sure if it's the information is current. The log references partition5 and you have only 4!

Can you try the following sequence of commands from Command Prompt running as Administrator:

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And check if the dims.log gets updated.

Edited by SleepyDude, 16 April 2014 - 04:11 PM.

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I did another check health and restore health today after I tried to apply the update again and it failed. When I did the scan health and restore health and it could not find a path to the "store", again,  same as before. Attached is the DISM zip from today. Why cannot it use windows update if directed to find what it seeks?

Attached Files

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Same result, I suspect that you have a missing partition...

Do you have the Windows 8.1 install DVD? If you don't have but have your Windows 8.1 key you should be able to download one following the instructions here.

Eventually if you run the commands above from the Recovery Console included on the DVD there is a chance of fixing the problem because the Winre.wim file will be available.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I dont have an 8.1 disc, I upgarded to 8.1 online. Sounds like a lot of time consuming grief LOL   I will wait to the last minute and see if microsoft comes up with a magic fix being so many people are having trouble with the update. Then if all else fails, I will pound on this thing and make the disc and refresh. I just don't want to lose my drivers and windows updates and all that stuff that takes forever to get loaded up and back going again unless it is the last resort. .. Thanks for the info.

Question...if I only have 1 relevant drive with data and the rest are clean, what the heck are they needed for ? 

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I dont have an 8.1 disc, I upgarded to 8.1 online. Sounds like a lot of time consuming grief LOL   I will wait to the last minute and see if microsoft comes up with a magic fix being so many people are having trouble with the update. Then if all else fails, I will pound on this thing and make the disc and refresh. I just don't want to lose my drivers and windows updates and all that stuff that takes forever to get loaded up and back going again unless it is the last resort. .. Thanks for the info.

Question...if I only have 1 relevant drive with data and the rest are clean, what the heck are they needed for ? 

Having the install DVD can save you from a lot of troubles if I was you I would download it right away we don't know if Microsoft will close that door or not!

The idea is to try fixing windows from the DVD because if that will not work sooner or later you will be facing with more problems and then only a full restore or reinstall will solve the problem.

It seems the system want to restore some files using the files stored on the system reserved partition.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I see your point and you are right but curiosity has got ahold of me at the moment. I might try something first. I have a cloned SSD from a month ago, I might put that in and check scan health and keep restoring back if need be until it checks good, if it will. I have a bunch of restore points...or had. 

Edited by woodrow896, 18 April 2014 - 05:59 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I see your point and you are right but curiosity has got ahold of me at the moment. I might try something first. I have a cloned SSD from a month ago, I might put that in and check scan health and keep restoring back if need be until it checks good, if it will. I have a bunch of restore points...or had. 

Ok, Check also the number of partitions you have.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Ok I swapped SSD's and checkhealth good now. Downloaded 9 windows updates and what was unusual this time was that it said there were 10 but 9 were applied...The 10th one, which was the KB355 in question, was held back from installing. I restarted 2 times and did a check health again and all was well as was SFC. When I downloaded and attempted to install the troublesome 355 update it failed right off the bat this time and gave the error 80200056

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I have a 400mb and a 260mb partition both empty and the C drive which is 190gb

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

I have a 400mb and a 260mb partition both empty and the C drive which is 190gb

You need to check the partitions using Disk Manager because some used by the system are hidden

Advertisements

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

That is where I went to gather the info on the partitions.

Thanks for your help by the way..I am wandering aimlessly half the time LOL

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I was incorrect...In windows update it showed 10 important updates but I noticed only 9 were downloading. After a couple restarts I noticed windows update said there is 1 important update.

It failed . The 355. I don't remember now if it was during the download of it or the instal but it failed quickly and gave a differant error.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

That is where I went to gather the info on the partitions.

Thanks for your help by the way..I am wandering aimlessly half the time LOL

You are probably missing one partition because they should be 4 but never mind can you attach the dims.log generated after you trying to install the update?

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

If I had to guess I would say it acted like Microsoft pulled that update or did something. According to Microsoft support engineer Babu V on the Windows site :

Error: 80200056, means the application requested data from a web site, but the response was invalid.

I need to find the dims log..drawing a blank on that for the moment

Edited by woodrow896, 18 April 2014 - 10:19 AM.

woodrow896

woodrow896

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

I tried updating 2 more times and picked up a 80200056 error (do not have permission? )  and the second error was back to the 80200056.

I need some info on where to locate the dims log...Thanks .