OK, I rebooted the pc in normal mode.... I noticed that AzMixerSel is still checked to run in startup, from the same location as before. I didn't trust this so I unchecked it and rebooted again, without AzMixer. I went to the new driver archive and looked at the folder. It appears that the new version of the driver does NOT contain AzMixer at all that I could see. Perhaps they found a way to eliminate it?
So anyway, with AzMixer not loaded, I opened Zoiper. A few test calls and NO BLUE SCREEN. Yeeeeowww! Even without azmixer, now the sound volume controls show the mic boost option, and the internal mic is recognized in sound recorder. While only 2-3 calls is not a conclusive test, It is farther than I ever got before, and without azmixer which was noted to cause the problems before, and still everything else appears to be not affected by its absence, I am very hopeful and encouraged that this is the correct solution.
So, bottom line is SUCCESS ! It worked!
Thank you phillpower2 !!!
Now, a couple of housekeeping items.
1. What should I clean, given my previous description of the steps I took? I have not done any cleaning except for removal of the startup check box for Azmixer (but the directory files are still there)
2. I removed the check box for drivermax at startup. Is that OK?
3. Re: MSE- Do I understand correctly that virus definitions will still be given updates for the near future even for XP? If so, then I can live with it for awhile. If not, then it won't do any good for anything new after today....
4. You mentioned delete Internet Explorer? I thought this could not be done? How about just don't open it and choose a different default browser?
5. You said turn off automatic updates? What if MS decides to send one periodically, or if other installed MS programs have their own updates? Would it hurt to leave it on Notify Only?
Thanks again !!