Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware check requested [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"The system from what I can see, is on its last legs to be honest."

The operating system?

I don't mind trying if I can get out of it if there is a problem, if I am given a screen option to boot in normal mode pre boot up?

Would I get that?

Re: "my main concern at the moment as the stop error could be the way the BIOS interacts with windows"

Why would that suddenly develop so long after the os was installed, happened first in April with CCleaner?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 11 June 2014 - 01:33 PM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

That really is based on the type of RAM on the motherboard

Type:
RDRAM
Size:
256 MBytes

By around 2001, RDRAM was no longer supported by any mainstream computing architecture

Modern software is more processor and memory intensive than before, so the system will struggle to cope.

With the clean boot option, if you have problems then you can restart in safe mode and reset the start back to normal by reversing the steps  

When you used CC did you use the registry clean option ?

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

"With the clean boot option, if you have problems then you can restart in safe mode and reset the start back to normal by reversing the steps"

Oh that's what I wanted to hear, that there is a way out and the computer isn't stuck with that setting.

"When you used CC did you use the registry clean option ?"

Yes I did occasionally, but on the 2 days the BSODs occurred - no.

"By around 2001, RDRAM was no longer supported by any mainstream computing architecture"

Thanks for that info. I'm totally aware that an older computer will struggle with modern technology and I know that the ram is way too low. I explained to phillpower2 that I tried to upgrade it, but the PC World technician said he couldn't because it was Rambus and they didn't stock it. He said it would be expensive and might be difficult to find.

What's needed is a new computer, but I can't buy one at present.

If I knew how to I would be wiping the disk clean and doing a fresh os installation right now.

On the one hand I'm thinking this computer is all I have, I would be miserable without it. It's fragile, I can't take risks unless I have to......unless there is a serious problem and I have no other choice.

Yesterday's STOP error was the first I've had for a while, so at present the BSOD issue is not serious.

If they recur more frequently then of course I will have to investigate further as to the cause.

But on the other hand I am a perfectionist and determined by nature, so I want to get to the bottom of it, don't like letting it lie. :) Same with the SFC errors, want to put that right too. Want to make my computer as good as I possibly can.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 11 June 2014 - 03:45 PM.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Further to my message above>>>>>

Well right now I'm thinking soldier on as you suggested. If there are more BSODs and I am concerned I can then attempt a clean boot and come back here, is that ok?

Alright to turn on Automatic Microsoft Updates now to see if I can get the recent emergency / critical update for Internet Explorer (2965111), which Microsoft made an exception to and rolled out to XP SP3 users in May 2014.......because it hasn't been offered to me through Microsoft Updates Custom Install (along with many others over the last few years I have just found out, which I will probably not now be able to get)?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 05:05 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you wish to do a re-install of XP then it just so happens that we have a tutorial here http://www.geekstogo...all-of-windows/

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

It's not something I would normally attempt myself, for the usual reasons - I fear something might go wrong and I might not be able to put it right - but if things get worse and I am unable to ask a technician to do it I will look at that.

Thank you.

I will return to my original post now to ask about the Microsoft Update issue, as you have dealt with the malware query.

:)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 08:10 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK I will clear my tools now and give you that bit more space

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

delfix.JPG

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

CryptoPrevent.JPG

Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide Best security practices Keep safe :wave:

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ahh what a great team you are here, thank you.

I have run Delfix.

I have installed CryptoPrevent. My sister's friend had ransomeware on her computer, sounded absolutely awful, she couldn't get into it at all, so I am pleased to be told of that.

I will uninstall Java, I already have the Java plugin in Firefox disabled.

My computer seems to be running faster since the cleaning you carried out and a Standby issue I had has gone (my computer had recently become very slow to respond to that) - is that possible or just my imagination? :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We have done a bit of tidying up :)

What is the problem with windows updates ?

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

I have just uninstalled all 6 entries for Java in Add/Remove programs. Now I would normally run CCleaner, both general and registry cleaning......and despite what happened on the last two occasions that I did, I am tempted to do just that. Shall I, see if a BSOD occurs again?

You'll find all the details in my previous post (mentioned at the beginning of this) regarding the Microsoft Updates issue.

In short since I installed SP3 in 2011 I have used the 'Custom Install' option (as opposed to 'Express') to install Microsoft Updates.

I have ALWAYS installed ALL High Priority updates that were offered to me (and checked Optional to see if they applied to my computer), but your colleague has recently advised me that my computer is missing lots since 2011.

I recently tried to install the critical Internet Explorer May 2014 XP update mentioned above, but this was not offered to me after the Custom Install scan? Only one XP End of Support and two Optional were offered.

I am very concerned by this and cannot understand it. I have used one of the two options given to install Microsoft Updates, but it doesn't appear to be functioning properly.

I wanted to try setting Microsoft Updates to 'Automatic' in the hope of getting this latest update.......but all the other missing ones I probably won't be able to get now. The last scan (bar one) I carried out was in March 2014 before Microsoft withdrew them!

Back later

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 11:17 AM.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I am just checking out an MSFN unofficial service pack 4 which includes all post SP3 updates http://www.ryanvm.ne...p=137319#137319

At this stage I am not sure if it needs to be slipstreamed with the SP3 disc or if it is standalone. I will need to set up my VM with XP and check it out, this may take me a day or so

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok, thank you.

Please see my other post to view a screenshot of Windows Updates in my Add/Remove programs and also a list taken from my Microsoft Update History - bizarrely they do not correspond, which concerns me. So I really don't know what is going on.

http://www.geekstogo...t-viewer/page-2

Can I try turning on Microsoft Automatic Updates first? I think I'm secretly hoping the unexpected might occur.

UPDATE

In order to get the recent critical XP update:

http://blogs.technet...g-security.aspx

1 May 2014 10:18 AM

"If you haven’t turned on automatic updates yet, you should do so now.  Click the “Check for Updates” button on the Windows Update portion of your Control Panel to get this going."

At least that one should be fixed if nothing else!

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 02:35 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Yes turn the auto update on I do not know how long MS will keep them on their servers though

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok will do.

I have just run CCleaner - general and Registry Cleaner.

NO BSOD!

:yeah:

Edited by scarlet.rose, 12 June 2014 - 02:53 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

Aha maybe it just needed a little tidy up :)