Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malwarebytes deleting important files?

malwarebytes winlogon pcimon

• Please log in to reply

Shruikan66

Shruikan66

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hiya! Was hoping someone here could help me, as I've encountered a problem that's got my head spinning. I'm running Windows 7 Professional on a Lenovo B560 Laptop.

I started noticing some virus-like behaviour such as automatic messages being sent through my Skype "XD Check out these fails! <insert probably infected link here>", chrome working very slowly, and my webcam actually turned on all on its own for like 30 seconds. That freaked me out, and prompted me to tape up my camera and start running scans. I ran a full scan (which took like 6 hours for some reason? I don't believe it should have taken this long) with Windows Security Essentials but it found nothing. So I've been told I should try Malwarebytes instead as it is apparently one of the better anti-virus programs out there. I downloaded Malwarebytes from malwarebytes.org, free version and was given a trial program. I ran a full scan and sure enough it found 6 things Windows Security Essentials didn't find. I don't have the log sorry, but i remember it found a bunch of PUP files, something called BitcoinMiner, and the two files winlogon and pcimon. After letting it doing its thing and remove the threats, my computer was working great.

But then when I restart my computer it has trouble logging on. I get pass the users screen and it will load my desktop and taskbar, but nothing else. I can't really click on anything; when I mouse over my taskbar the little blue "waiting" circle on my cursor appears. And it does nothing. It won't go into hibernate either, my only option is to hold the power button until it shuts down. System Restore solves the problem, but I still have all my viruses!! 

What's got my head spinning is that I've actually noticed the two files "winlogon" and "pcimon" asking for my permission to run when I log in (with publisher: Unknown"). Obviously, this has never happened, so that was a red flag that those two are definitely viruses. I look up these files and they're windows files? According to what they do, they really shouldn't be asking my permission like this, but they are very important nevertheless. I also found out viruses like to mimic these files, and if my winlogon is a fake I should find the fake in my User Directory, but I can't.  

I have no idea what to do. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

Naathim

Naathim

GeekU Minion

• Expert
  • 4,568 posts

Hi  :)

Please go to Malware Removal Forum and read the instructions here. Post a new topic there and one of us will surely help you  :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Naat ;)

Shruikan66

Shruikan66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Alright thanks! Forums are so complicated I never know where to post...  :headhurt: