Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Management engine Interface

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

RAM is this Brand and Model.

ADATA XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model AX3U1600W8G9-DB

Seems from research SuperPrefetch is not an issue leaving it on in Windows 8.1, even though it's enabled not being used for a SSD, when detected by the system.

Notice now since i have this SSD no prefetch files are being written.

Not too familiar with making changes to pagefile if you advice me to for sure, after looking at RAM specs, so i need guidance.

Indexing i have to decide either to disable it for the SSD only leave for External Drive, or disable all together.

Reading and talking to others it seems Windows 8.1 takes care of a lot, once a SSD is detected. 

I have not made any changes yet.

Edited by jds63, 09 August 2014 - 05:09 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I would like to check the speed your RAM is set at.   Please dowload and install CPU-Z.   When you start it, on the top menu, > click the Memory tab, > take a screenshot and include in your next reply.

1.70 setup, english

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Will this be good, i have AIDA64, here.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes for  AIDA64, shows what I want.

Noticed that your RAM is running at DDR3 1333, and  you have DDR3 1600, so how would you be making a couple of alterations in the BIOS to enable XMP?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes this was RAM i bought but my system specs will only run at 1333MHZ.

Not sure i can change the speed in the BIOS or do not recall ever seeing anything to enable XMP.

Believe the Intel i5 2320 Dual Core will not except more then 1333mhz, unless it's the motherboard ASUS P8H61-M-Pro

This shows it here, system was originally with Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, does support XMP, motherboard

http://www.asus.com/...specifications/

This is the system  originally http://www.asus.com/...specifications/

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Post # 33 in AIDA64 shows Extreme memory profile.

Here too

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your RAM is on the QVL and tested at1600 > http://www.asus.com/...RO/HelpDesk_QVL

Your CPU native supported default speed is up to 1333, but you can still enable XMP, if the MB and RAM support such, yours does.

Start the computer and anter BIOS, it will open in Easy Mode.  At the top right of screen, > click, exit/advance mode, the computer will restart and the advanced BIOS screen will be displayed.

On the top menu, > click, Ai Tweaker.

> click on Ai Overclock Tuner, > click the box to the right and in the drop down menu, > click X.M.P.

> Press F10. to save and exit, > confirm selection,, your computer will restart.

Check with resources manager, memory. 

Edit.

Post #33. look at the 7th item down, shows the speed the RAM is running at. 

Not a complete tutorial, but this video has useful info, > 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

This is a different motherboard mine does not have AiTweak.

All my tabs are Main, Advanced, Monitor, Boot and Tool.

Now i went through all the categories in each i see nothing to change to XMP

Maybe in a different Rev. # of my P8H61-M-Pro, it may have this  option, but  mine is Rev. 1.0

I posted a screen shot in post #29 of my resource monitor.

How about a couple of lines down in that AIDA64 IN POST # 33 shows Extreme Memory Profile, XMP.

Isn't doing something like this Overclocking ?

Edited by jds63, 12 August 2014 - 08:13 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Will research this a bit more. Enabling a XMP profile is not considered overclocking.   If you manually adjusted to run above the XMP profile, then yes.

Please read this page, use the verifier  link near the bottom. > http://event.asus.co...3_Motherboards/

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You talking about this link   http://event.asus.co...cted_SATA_port/     ?

Because has me confused, is for SATA Port.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry about the mix up.   AS you had installed W8.1, I gave the Tutorial link assuming you had a UEFI BIOS.   Doing some searching, saw your other post where you were unable to flash the BIOS, now see you have a ROM.

Gave the link for the verifier, on the off chance you had a "broken" board and would get a safe link for upgrading or be able to pursue getting a replacement one.

I have been unable to find a manual that actually shows your BIOS configurations.   Does it look anything like this one,   You want a line like, "configure DRAM Timing,,,,,"

>http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2063&page=4 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

It's o.k., yes reasons i can not do a BIOS upgrade is because my system has a ROM BIOS and new ones are CAP BIOS.

In past i tried figuring how i could convert it, but no luck, spoke to a motherboard tech w/ASUS once he felt was no reason to and not a good idea, he saw no improvements substantial enough to bother with them.

Find ones for my board plus my model, board ones are ROM, but not sure due to my boards Revision. Not worth making this a paper weight ,frying my chip.

Speaking of UEFI look here http://www.geekstogo...ic/342068-uefi/

Freshly posted i noticed my clean install was done UEFI- GPT style.

Your link did not work, but i know in my BIOS i do not see anything to change RAM timing, that would be in Ai Tweak if i had it, again see my manual might fall with different revisions of this board.

I am Rev. 1.0 those might be Rev. 3.0.

Last BIOS i did was 2012. ASUS Live Update a program they put on never worked for me, this could of helped me do one.

I do see with RAM in the BIOS XMP listed in a 2nd column with jdec headers, think showed you something from AIDA64 like this. Some reason i can't get a print screen when i am there like at the desktop to show you.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Sorry, I did research and thought I had replied.

As you only have the Advanced tab, look for DRAM and click it.   if you get sub menu with speed setting, select 800MHz, (or xmp if seen) then save settings and exit. If there is no options there, you can only run at the settings already set.  

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thanks but i have looked many times i do not see anything to change speeds or as some call it overclocking it too.

Within the BIOS i mentioned before there was columns showing the RAM columns show jdec, one column shows 667MHZ  next column XMP shows 800MHZ.

Now i thought i saw it this way in AIDA64. Thinking the BIOS sets the XMP automatically,no settings.

As you may have looked at my other posts on UEFI i am able to install in that way plus GPT,which it is now with new SSD,works fine. 3 partitions.

I am at a loss about changing anything as far as pagefile, write cache buffering. Pagefile is 2434MB.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If there is no menu item or tab for RAM timing, you will have to run with what is set by the BIOS.

To change.set the page file.

1. Open System by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, right-clicking Computer, and then clickingProperties.

2. In the left pane, click Advanced system settings18abb370-ac1e-4b6b-b663-e028a75bf05b_48. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then, under Virtual memory, click Change.

5. Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

6. Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.

7. Click Custom size, type a new size in megabytes in the Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB) box, both 1024mb (general consensus)

8. click Set, and then click OK.   Restart the computer.