Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HDD Capable But Command Failed

• Please log in to reply

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi guys i have a problem with my new hdd.I have a desktop and my motherboard supports sata 2 but the hdd is sata 3.From where i bought the hdd they told me that it will automatically run with sata 2.First i pluged in my new hdd set boot to cd rom and waited.
When i tried to install windows 7 64 bit the hdd wouldnt apear on the screen...i pluged in my old hdd and went to disk manager and the new hdd wouldnt apear there too..Then i checked bios and its detected..can you help me??

Edited by Andrynuim, 07 August 2014 - 02:37 PM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,980 posts

Hello Andry :welcome:

You need to provide us more details so we can try to help.

The machine you have it's a Laptop or Desktop? The new HardDisk's is Sata? Did you try to enter the BIOS and check if the new HDD is detected?

Please post the brand and model of the machine if possible and also the brand an model of the HDD.

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

i have a desktop,the hdd is sata 3 and its called wd5000aakx,my motherboard supports sata 2 but from where i bought the hdd they told me it will automaticaly run with sata 2...i have checked bios and its detected...right now i have pluged in both old and new hdd and the new hdd wont apear anywhere.Before i plugin the new hdd the boot time was about 10-20 secs now its a lot slower i dont know why..

Edited by Andrynuim, 07 August 2014 - 02:48 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,980 posts

What can you tell us about the computer? Brand, Model, if it's OEM can you post the motherboard brand and model?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, as well as answers for SleepyDude, can you also take note of the name and brand of the BIOS please if not sure of the motherboard.

Nev.

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

the motheboard is an asus p5kpl/1600 i have an intel core 2 quad 6600 2.4 ghz 2 gb ram and a 400w power supply.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,980 posts

the motheboard is an asus p5kpl/1600 i have an intel core 2 quad 6600 2.4 ghz 2 gb ram and a 400w power supply.

Thanks. Actually your motherboard have 4x SATA 3Gb/s ports.

The new HDD is brand new?

Can you run msinfo32 to retrieve the BIOS version/Date and post that?

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

yes its not used.Here is the msinfo32

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Edited by Andrynuim, 07 August 2014 - 02:41 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,980 posts

The BIOS version doesn't match what is on the Asus website maybe msinfo32 got the wrong information and you need to confirm the version when the machine starts!

Did you try with different sata and power cables?

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thats what shows up when i boot the pc.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140808_000502.jpg

Edited by Andrynuim, 07 August 2014 - 03:48 PM.

Advertisements

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

And then this.

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

And then this.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140808_001347.jpg

Edited by Andrynuim, 07 August 2014 - 03:49 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,980 posts

I see the command failed is because of SMART, did you try to connect the new HDD to Sata ports 2 and 4? also test with a new SATA data cable.

Andrynuim

Andrynuim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

i just tried sata 2 / 4 and same thing i even tried to disable smart from bios but didnt work..i dont have a new sata cable but the one i have is like 2/3 years old..i havent tried to put jumpers but the hdd didnt have jumpers on the box or on it..do you think jumpers will help??or should i put the hdd to a sata 3 mother board format it and then put it back at my pc?

Edited by Andrynuim, 08 August 2014 - 08:25 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,980 posts

Hi,

Most newer Sata drives don't have jumpers to adjust. Your motherboard is Sata3.

For testing purposes disconnect your first disk and connect the new drive using the Sata data cable from the 1st drive, check if the BIOS stop's complaining about the SMART error.