Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't see own wi-fi, but any other yes

cant detect wi-fi in range

• Please log in to reply

trosco

trosco

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Hello,

I have an Hp g6-2303q and I recently moved out of my house and now I can't detect this network in here. All other devices can, I tried with another laptop and phones. I tried reinstaling the Ralink driver from the hp website, but with no success. I can see about any other network. I have this program, Xirrus wi-fi inspector, and it can;t detect it either. 

The router is a ZON-F BVW - 3653 . I can also see other networks from ZON routers here, but not mine. Please help as soon as possible, as I am stating university in another country and I need my e-mails and websites which I can't use the phone for. Thank you!

Advertisements

Intalex

Intalex

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Have you tried to manually connect to the network with your laptop? Sometimes you might need to do that instead of just trying to connect automatically. Let me know if that works.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Looks like that's a N router but it should also support G.

Try what Intalex suggested and setup the connection manually rather than look for the broadcast SSID as it may not be broadcasting it (turned off).

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

that is the "Manually connect to a wireless network" from the network and sharing center - Set up a new connection? I've tried it - set the security level to WPA-PErsonal and also WPA2-Personal (as it's written on the back of the router for it to be WPA) and set it to connect automatically. Apart from creating a new wireless network profile, nothing happened - did I miss something?

Also thanks for the response!

Intalex

Intalex

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yes, that is correct. It sounds like you did the right thing. This is pretty strange, your SSID/Wireless network seems to be acting as if it's a hidden one..

When you manually created the wireless network, what happened? Did your computer see the network at all? or is it still not visible?

The other option would be to access your modem/router to check your wireless network's settings and make sure that you have all the right info. Once you confirmed the ssid/security type/encryption and password which I assume that you already have, try again to manually connect to the wireless (you just want to make sure that you have everything typed correctly).

In order to access your modem (assuming that you are unfamiliar with the process) :) :

type in your browser: 192.168.1.1 after that you will be prompted to enter a username and password.

username: home

password: zonnet

Check these screenshots for further assistance. http://www.pcwintech...53-zon-firmware

If this does not work, you can also try temporarily turning the wireless on/off from the modem interface. You will be surprised what little things like this can do. Last scenario would be to create a totally new wireless network once you are in the modem and see if your computer is able to pick it up. The only drawback  is that once you do that, you will have to re connect the rest of you wireless devices to the new SSID. in any case, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this :)

trosco

trosco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

well today morning nobody could see the network anymore, so we had the owner come and check it. At first reseting the settings did nothing, and I had to leave, while he was calling the network operator. Now everything is working for everybody, so I don;t really know what the problem was, but it had something to do either with the router or the internet provider itself. Thank you for helping and hope I never get this problem again!