Please follow the instructions below.
Step#1 - Create a Bootable Recovery Console CD
1. Please download the Windows XP Recovery Console file to the desktop of your working Windows Vista computer.
2. Put a blank recordable CD in your CD Burner of the Vista machine.
3. Download ImgBurn and save to your desktop.
4. Right-click on the SetupImgBurn_188.8.131.52.exe file and select Run as Administrator.
5. Click Next.
6. Click "I accept the terms of the License Agreement" and click Next.
7. Click next a few times until you reach the following screen.
8. Make sure to select Custom installation (advanced) and uncheck "Install McAfee SiteAdvisor"
9. Click Next
10. Then ensure you select Custom installation (advanced) again and uncheck "Install Mezaa"
11. You will receive a prompt asking if you would like ImgBurn to periodically check if a newer version is available. Answer No.
12. When the install finishes, click Close.
13. You will see an icon on the desktop for ImgBurn. Please double-click this to open.
14. Select the first option "Write image file to disk".
15. In the Source, please click the little yellow icon with a magnifying glass on it to browse for the file you downloaded in Step#1. The name of the file is rc xp iso.iso.
16. Make sure the destination has your burner selected.
17. Click the write button. Once complete you will have a CD that we can boot from.
Step#2 - Boot your Windows XP Computer to the CD
1. Please put the CD in your Windows XP computer.
2. Turn your computer on and keep tapping the F2 key on the keyboard. This will bring you in to the BIOS settings. You should see an area in here where you can change the boot order
of your computer. We want to ensure that the computer attempts to boot to the CD before the Hard Drive. Save your settings.
There are many articles on how to do this. The options may be slightly different on various machines.
3. Once the boot order is correct, reboot your machine and it should attempt to boot from the CD. You will get a message that says press any key to boot from the CD. Go ahead and hit a key.
4. The CD will boot and you will get to a screen asking you to hit enter to install Windows or hit R to enter the recovery console. Please hit R on the keyboard.
5. It will attempt to identify your Windows XP installation and show a screen similar to the following. Type 1 and hit enter to select the Windows installation.
6. You will be prompted to enter your password for the Administrator account. Please do.
7. At this point you should just be at a prompt waiting for you to type commands in.
8. Please type fixboot and hit enter on your keyboard. You will get a prompt asking if you are sure. Please answer Yes by typing Y.
9. Remove the CD from the Windows XP computer.
10. Reboot your machine and see if it comes up.
Items for your next post
1. Let me know how it went or if you have any questions. Thank you.