Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox crashes; IE - unable to reach certain sites

Firefox Internet Explorer Flash plugin

• Please log in to reply

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Also: Odd that now the logo no longer appears on this page where it says it will. I had to access this from IE to see the logo.

http://helpx.adobe.c...playback_issues

Solve video playback issues

If you experience problems when playing back video, follow these steps:

Try disabling hardware acceleration. Right-click the Flash Player logo below, choose Settings from the context menu. Deselect  Enable Hardware Acceleration (on the Display tab), then and click Close.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

try these

https://support.mozi...w_testing-flash

https://support.mozi... video&r=0&as=s

Ever try to use Firefox in safe mode, believe mentioning this, "restart with addons disabled" to narrow down a possible conflict.

Last time checked for updates for video card drivers ?

If disabling hardware acceleration worked, most likely old drivers on Video card.

Need to go through every step on each of these links to narrow down the issue in post #16 and 18.

Like said before, probably something else besides the browsers causing a conflict, can't rule that out, each browser is different in it's own way that it works.

Newest flash player number is 15.0.0.152

Edited by jds63, 17 September 2014 - 08:39 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I did a "Never activate" on Shockwave flash, and as I expected, the problem went away. What I didn't expect is that I can still play videos on youtube. I thought it needed flash player. I'm wondering now if I need flash. Can you think of some websites that need it?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Well, not off hand, except http://www.speedtest.net/

Do not see this as a solution. Do you have Microsoft Silverlight ?

Assume you updated flash back to the 15.0.0.152.

Probably something conflicting with flash player, another addon. One link i sent that tests adobe flash, check that one out ?

Sure you are going to come across some page won't work. Now i do not know an alternative to flash player, some sites use silverlight. Not sure about youtube and if it needs it.

Plus when you use a site that requires this plug in (adobe) Mozilla will ask you to activate it.

You have to try every step in both those links to try to narrow it down, not just one or two if you ever want to try to figure this out, sure not the only one with this issue.

Then there are ones without it, running the same version browser as you with adobe, by deactivating it will not solve it, just may show whatever is conflicting with it which you do not know yet is fixed in that way.

Edited by jds63, 18 September 2014 - 06:04 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I've tried just about everything with no luck. Here are a few I'm stuck on - maybe you can help me...

Check for conflicts with your Internet security software -  I don’t think avast is a problem. How would I check this?

Tried to download Memtest86+. – avast is blocking it.  Is avast wrong about this file? Is it safe to download?

emeraldnzl mentioned several tech errors in http://www.geekstogo...e-5 in post #72. Do you think any of these are worth pursuing? The documentation in the links he provided are a bit over my head.

Ad-blocking software, such as anti-banner filters of your Internet Security program, or extensions, such as Flashblock or Adblock Plus, can prevent audio or video content from playing. If the site works with ad-blocking disabled, you may want to add the site to your whitelist in your adblocker filter.” I don’t know how to check this.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Can disable both the anti-virus and firewall temporarily look in the settings. If icon on notification area, right click it see if there is an option to disable.

Some cases put an exception in firewall, be if it was blocking it.

Matters possibly where you are downloading Memtest86 from, believe it's now downloaded under this site  http://www.memtest86.com/features.htm

Assume certain Ant-Viruses do not see certain programs to be safe, personally i never used Memtest. Believe might be a way within Windows to check memory, rather then this tool, let you know.

Did it say to check for memory issues in those Mozilla Help articles ?

Which pop up blocking software do you have ? Adblock plus for Mozilla is all you should need i have it, no issues with websites that are safe to be on.

If Adblock should be an icon at top right of browser. Clicking it shows filter preferences there you can add one. Instead you can turn it off completely disable the addon within mozilla's addon page or at top right disable everywhere then go to the page you can't usually see. Be easier way of knowing rather then adding filter for now. Not too familiar with adding filters in Adblock, so far has not been an issue on any page, i use it to block popups.

Have to look over that page from the other post, let you know what i think. Post back.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Well let's start off by saying i am not a A+ certified techie, but i know enough.
Just commenting on malware teams advice.

Like to see a list of addons you are using for browsers, added extensions and plug ins as we know from these articles could be a conflict and if you are going by the help you disable them to try also, in Mozilla's safe mode.

One is related to a USB stick error. Using a USB Flash Drive for something other then storage ?
If so when plugged in, any errors ? Check it in device manager for that, while USB is in.

Other is a Roxio Component not compatible with Windows 7, make me feel most of the program is not either.
Should then be removed, but do not feel this is related.

Seems at one time, you had HP Support helped you remotely, is this right ?
If yes, possibly some of this remote software still remained on PC, which i feel is not safe. Go to System in control panel, under remote settings, make sure "Allow Remote Assistance connection to this computer" is not checked, for security reasons. Unless you use this.

Also feel this PC is no longer under warranty for HP to help.

Again these few items do not seem to be a cause for certain web pages not to load.

Seems that Adobe being hacked had to do with having an account with them ,possibly with other adobe programs.
So i see no affect here from that, but another reason to keep software up to date. True most will say that it is not safe to use Adobe flash, but it's needed to run certain websites.Seems i feel safer then Java.

I feel he made you run software to check your system and it was fine for that kind of issue any any viruses, rootkits, spyware.

Question, how is your PC running in general, besides this borwser issue ?
Do you regularly do maintenence to this PC ? Defrag, clean cache, web history, disable unwanted or needed startup items.
Try CCleaner. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner.

Try a SFC too. At elevated command prompt type : sfc /scannow

Edited by jds63, 20 September 2014 - 02:41 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

STILL WORKING ON SOME STUFF. HERE'S AN UPDATE...

Can disable both the anti-virus….tried it…. and firewall…I’ll have to find out how to disable the firewall that my ISP Verizon has… temporarily look in the settings. If icon on notification area, right click it see if there is an option to disable….

Some cases put an exception in firewall, be if it was blocking it.

Matters possibly where you are downloading Memtest86 from, believe it's now downloaded under this site  http://www.memtest86.com/features.htm

Assume certain Ant-Viruses do not see certain programs to be safe, personally i never used Memtest. Believe might be a way within Windows to check memory, rather then this tool, let you know.

Did it say to check for memory issues in those Mozilla Help articles ?..... A bit of a challenge plowing through all the suggestions. Will let you know what I find.

Which pop up blocking software do you have ? …….none that I’m aware of……Adblock plus for Mozilla is all you should need i have it, no issues with websites that are safe to be on.

If Adblock should be an icon at top right of browser. Clicking it shows filter preferences there you can add one. Instead you can turn it off completely disable the addon within mozilla's addon page or at top right disable everywhere then go to the page you can't usually see. Be easier way of knowing rather then adding filter for now. Not too familiar with adding filters in Adblock, so far has not been an issue on any page, i use it to block popups…………

Have to look over that page from the other post, let you know what i think. Post back.

Like to see a list of addons you are using for browsers, added extensions and plug ins as we know from these articles could be a conflict and if you are going by the help you disable them to try also, in Mozilla's safe mode….I did that.

One is related to a USB stick error. Using a USB Flash Drive for something other then storage
?.....No…
If so when plugged in, any errors ? Check it in device manager for that, while USB is in.

Other is a Roxio Component not compatible with Windows 7, make me feel most of the program is not either.
Should then be removed, but do not feel this is related
….I have a bunch of Roxio programs. Do they all get removed?

Seems at one time, you had HP Support helped you remotely, is this right ?..Yes, several times.
If yes, possibly some of this remote software still remained on PC, which i feel is not safe. Go to System in control panel, under remote settings, make sure "Allow Remote Assistance connection to this computer" is not checked, for security reasons. Unless you use this……I unchecked it.

Also feel this PC is no longer under warranty for HP to help……..You’re probably right.

Again these few items do not seem to be a cause for certain web pages not to load.

Seems that Adobe being hacked had to do with having an account with them ,possibly with other adobe programs
…….I do not have an account with Adobe.
So i see no affect here from that, but another reason to keep software up to date. True most will say that it is not safe to use Adobe flash, but it's needed to run certain websites.Seems i feel safer then Java.

I feel he made you run software to check your system and it was fine for that kind of issue any any viruses, rootkits, spyware
….Correct.

Question, how is your PC running in general, besides this borwser issue ?....A little bit slow.
Do you regularly do maintenence to this PC ? Defrag, clean cache, web history, disable unwanted or needed startup items…..There is an HP routine that has some regular maintenance scheduled on a regular basis. I’ve seen it before but can’t find it now.

Try CCleaner. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner.

Try a SFC too. At elevated command prompt .what is the elevated command prompt?....type : sfc /scannow

Thought: I switched to Firefox years ago when I read that it was better than IE because it had less overhead and was less vulnerable to attack. True? I could switch back to IE and forget about Firefox. Thought?

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Welcome Wayneman50,

I would not worry about your ISP Verizon being any issue for you. Interested use there website, must have an account with them online too.

Really do not think you have a memory issue or you would of received a popup on your screen to run the diagnostic tool built into Windows 7, can look here, explain what i mean.

http://windows.micro...n-your-computer

When you go to the Adblock icon at top of your Mozilla Screen right click it and select the option to open blockable items, click that brings box to bottom of screen, if something is in red while on a web page, that item is blocked.

Adblock is good to have with Mozilla, usually recommended. Like i said if you felt this was the issue, could of easily disabled it altogether to find out.

As far as Roxio programs you have being compatible with version of Windows you have, figure you must know if you bought this product would be listed as it was compatible.

Seems hard to find Windows 7 compatibility center, comes up Windows 8. http://www.microsoft...?Language=en-US Try here if you want or check the versions online with Roxio or Google it.

Not that it is your Firefox issue, but had HP support help your PC remotely a few times, you probably stilll have the software somewhere on the system, unless at the time they told you how to remove it.

When i asked, do you regularly maintain your PC, you said : " There is an HP routine that has some regular maintenance scheduled on a regular basis. I’ve seen it before but can’t find it now.

What does this mean, HP has a software  that optimizes the system ? You say it is slow, slower then use to be lately ?

Sorry an elevated command prompt means, run as administrator. Either in control panel under accessories, right click the command prompt icon, select " Run as administrator"

Then type  sfc /scannow    Exactly as shown, if need to copy paste it you can. Just want to make sure files are good on system. Should take around 5-10 min..

This still does have me wondering what is exactly going on with certain websites on your browsers and why.

Edited by jds63, 23 September 2014 - 05:41 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

When you go to the Adblock icon at top of your Mozilla Screen right click it and select the option to open blockable items, click that brings box to bottom of screen, if something is in red while on a web page, that item is blocked…Adblock is good to have with Mozilla, usually recommended. Like i said if you felt this was the issue, could of easily disabled it altogether to find out. ………I don’t have Adblock

As far as Roxio programs you have being compatible with version of Windows you have, figure you must know if you bought this product would be listed as it was compatible.

Seems hard to find Windows 7 compatibility center, comes up Windows 8. http://www.microsoft...?Language=en-US Try here if you want or check the versions online with Roxio or Google it.

Not that it is your Firefox issue, but had HP support help your PC remotely a few times, you probably stilll have the software somewhere on the system, unless at the time they told you how to remove it……..What is your point here? Should I try to find this software and remove it?

When i asked, do you regularly maintain your PC, you said : " There is (or was) an HP routine that has some  maintenance scheduled on a regular basis. I’ve seen it before but can’t find it now.

What does this mean, HP has a software  that optimizes the system ?...The machine does have a regularly scheduled defrag.  I thought I saw other scheduled events to optimize the PC, but can’t find the routine now. You say it is slow, slower then use to be lately ?...It seems to be slower for maybe the past year.

Sorry an elevated command prompt means, run as administrator. Either in control panel under accessories, right click the command prompt icon, select " Run as administrator"

Then type  sfc /scannow    Exactly as shown, if need to copy paste it you can. Just want to make sure files are good on system. Should take around 5-10 min…..did not find any integrity violations.

This still does have me wondering what is exactly going on with certain websites on your browsers and why.

Try CCleaner. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner…I downloaded it and ran it. There are a bunch of applications listed on the Applications tab. I can’t find a good explanation as to what this does…Does Ccleaner remove these programs?

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Per your request.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture2.PNG

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

wayneman50,

All this time i thought you mentioned you had adblock for mozilla or another type of pop up blocker.

My point about the remote software used by HP is i felt that it may pose a security risk and malware team saw something regarding it during the scans you did with software they told you to use.

Where it is on your system, i am not sure, for one you had to download it. Now in that case it went to download folder first or one other Users folder in libraries. Check " Programs and Features in control panel, look down the list of installed programs.

If using Roxio software is not causing you any issues and do not want to get a newer version that is o.k., this was just again something seen in your thread with Maleware team.

O.k. it's good that scan disk did not find anything and everything in your files are good.

When you spoke of CCleaner in applications you meant the " Cleaner "  section ? Applications section are everthing else on system plus other browsers, Windows section is all windows cleaning plus IE.

Usually checks off all of what it finds on your system, plus what is available to the version of CCleaner at the time, it is updated periodically.

Do not check other items in windows tab unless you are familiar with them.

CCleaner has other categories as you see registry, tools and options sections. Do not use any others right now and if you need further help on it later, can ask again.

Slow computer are due to number of things, most common to do is regularly clean browser cache and history, windows temp. files. Pretty much things you see in CCleaners list in Windows and Applications tab.

Most of this can be done with Disk Cleanup, right click your C: drive in windows explorer, select properties and Disk Cleanup.

Others are Monthly Defrag of drive, turn off start up programs, remove programs you no longer use, adjust Windows visual effects (aero), increase RAM.

Again a lot of this should be routine to keep PC running smoother, but not the main cause of certain browser pages not loading.

List of plug ins you showed me are not always active except the Micorsoft one,but i believe you told me you tried those web pages you have trouble with in Mozilla in safe mode with all addons disabled and still does not work. Is this correct ? Mozilla is constantly updating it's browser, do you get the notifications lately to update it ?

Past response to a quaestion or thought, should i get rid of Mozilla, well, up to you. For me i feel it is better for my use than IE and not so much on security end of it, way it performs compared to IE and has more options to add stuff to it.

Edited by jds63, 24 September 2014 - 02:42 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

HP helped me years ago, so I don't remember what program I would have downloaded. Attached are the HP programs on my PC. Do any look like what you are looking for?

I uninstalled Roxio. No point having outdated software that I don't intend to upgrade.

Still reviewing your other comments...

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. about HP software, do see HP Support assistance but has a question mark possibly just a help to a website.

Just a thought that if it was still there you do not need it anymore, i always felt these were a security risk. I used that once and afterwards i made sure to get rid of it, i asked support how to do it at the time.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Here are some of the things the Cleaner is showing. I don't know what some of these programs are, but I know MS Wordpad and MS Paint and it wants to remove them? Why? If an app is checked here, it intends to remove it?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture2.PNG