Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox crashes; IE - unable to reach certain sites

Firefox Internet Explorer Flash plugin

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Try some of these for problems with a slow performing and slow booting PC.

Open the Performance troubleshooter by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Under System and Security, click Check for performance issues.

Delete programs you never use. If hard drive is almost full can cause a problem too. With Pagefile and write caching.

As said before, start up programs, many programs are set to start automatically when Windows starts.
Software manufacturers often set their programs to open in the background, where you can't see them running, so they'll open right away when you click their icons.That's helpful for programs you use a lot, but for programs you rarely or never use, this wastes precious memory and slows down the time it takes Windows to finish starting up.
Some programs will have an option to stop this process while others may not.
Take a look in the Notification Area on bottom right of the taskbar, click up arrow to extend it to see what is also running at Startup.

Can Use the System Configuration Ultility, but need to first be familiar with what you are turning off.
By clicking Start button, select Run, type msconfig, go to the start up tab, uncheck what you do not want to start up.Then click Apply and O.K..

Now you have CCleaner and this has an easier option to do this,can be reversed easily. Go to tools option in CCleaner, select Startup.
There it will list a Windows tab with all items starting when the PC does and most that  will be running afterwards. To right there will be a Yes next to the description of the Startup item. Just left click the Yes, it becomes a No. now the same as above, you need to first be familiar with what you are turning off, it could be something that is required to run at startup or possibly can't be turned off.

Again mentioned before Defragging drives.Cleanup hard disk (windows temp, browser history, etc..) Either Disk Cleanup or CCleaner or both.

After bootup, Run fewer programs at the same time. Next solutions comes with this " Add more RAM".

Windows is running slowly, you can speed it up by disabling some of its visual effects.

To adjust all visual effects for best performance:

Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type Performance Information and Tools, and then, in the list of results, click Performance Information and Tools.

Click Adjust visual effects. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation,type the password or provide confirmation.

Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK. (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer.)

Now if like all eye candy, Aero stuff, etc.. don't have to bother with this now.

Also run Anti-Virus regularly on a schedule, although lately did have a clean bill of health by Malware Team. Full system scan weekly is good, quick scan everyday.

Mentioned some this above before, you may or could use some Hardware upgrades, More RAM, New Hard Drive or faster Video Card.

Check your Hard Drive when you get a chance i would like you to run CHKDSK

Recall before told you how, right click the command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator"  then type        chkdsk c: /f /r
Exactly as shown, copy and paste if need to. Will take some time, so do it when you know you have the time.

Anything that you are not too sure above, do not do, get back to me for help. To be sure of some performance issues would need to know more about PC specs.

Edited by jds63, 26 September 2014 - 07:23 PM.

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I was out of town yesterday...will hopefully study your latest entry today or tomorrow. Thanks.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I was out of town yesterday...will hopefully study your latest entry today or tomorrow. Thanks.

It's o.k. wayneman50, hope this can help for slowness of PC. Also tell me how Firefox and IE are doing lately when you reply back.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Wait a minute, i thought you tried Resetting Firefox once before and it did not work ? ..Correct. The first time around it crashed. This would be the most common first approach to reset Firefox.

I believe may be working this time possibly due to other things you tried or did, updates,etc...That’s what I figured.

Startup programs are attached. There are a couple I’m sure I don’t need at Startup (ex. TomTom – the software for my GPS), but most of these I am not familiar with. Can you help me pick and choose?

ou have this password protected ?...No

Click the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK….Tried it, didn’t like the look.  (For a less drastic option, select Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer….I reverted back to this one.)

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture2.PNG

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Ran CHKDSK. I saw it running. When I came back later, my PC was rebooted. No messages or anything about the results.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

wayneman50,

Little confused here before i recommend anything. Where did you get this list your attched here ? Nothing is checked for one. Now in Windows 8.1 you can use the task manager under a startup tab to disable programs from startup. Now i believe in Windows 7 this is not possible have to go to the MSCONFIG under run command. Now i do not like doing it this way, because everytime you start your PC you will most likely get a popup in notifcation area that certain programs are disabled.

Still have CCleaner as said an easier way to do it, plus you can easily revert back if problems. Always make system restore points.

For now i can look at what you posted, but i need something better to go by. Either try to capture a screen shot of CCleaners startup list of just Windows items, post it here. Or the MSCONFIG's startup list.

AVAST is one you definitely need, sure you know this. Catalyst Control you most likely need running for Video Card software, but may be option to remove something running within it still. Others from this list do not give me a clear idea to tell you.

Again look through these programs menu options, should be a way there first, this is always way to do it, unless you can not.

See screenshot of CCleaner what i mean about startup items:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

The list I posted is from Check for performance issues. I will post the CCleaner list.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Speaking of system restore points....before I contacted geeks, I tried to restore and the two system restore points that were available both failed. Not good, huh?

Startup programs from CCleaner attached.

Thanks.

Attached Files

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Long list may take me awhile to figure out what is needed and what can go.

Also if you look at the notification area, bottom right corner of taskbar see programs there that start up, right click them usually can bring you to a setting.

I do not know if i mentioned all of this before i believe a chkdsk i did. What kind of error are you getting with System Restore ?

Can sometimes be something in your Anti-Virus causing this too, some type of  product tamper setting.

Can try this, chkdsk will take some time.

From a Run as Administrator  command prompt, type chkdsk c: /f /r
need to restart for it to run   
After that finishes again from Run as Administraor command prompt, type:  dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
When that finishes run as administrator     run: sfc /scannow
Now try to create System Restore, then run it

Now can just try a DISM, but prefer all steps.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

What kind of error are you getting with System Restore ?...I don't remember. 

I can start chksdk tonight before I go to bed.

Now can just try a DISM, but prefer all steps....Do you mean "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth"?

if you look at the notification area, bottom right corner of taskbar see programs there that start up, right click them usually can bring you to a setting....Got rid of some. Some - not sure what to do:

Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media - click on it and it takes me to: Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers

Solve PC issues:

Turn on Windows filewall

Solve a problem with AMD/ATI Video Driver

Check backup settings

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Yes checkdisk take sometime, by time you read this after the chkdsk, try this and post it here. Click Start button, then run command, type Powershell.exe. O.k. in Powershell put this in.........

get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt

If need to copy paste it's best, so you can get it correct, this will make a text document on your screen about your chkdsk results. Post it here.

Yes same DISM as shown. " Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media " this is either external devices hooked up, sometimes your main HDD, leave it alone, no harm.

Assume either Free AVAST you have no Firewall, should have this enabled. Good resolved some issues there with other stuff.

MAN!! Do you have a lot of stuff running on startup. I posted the same text document you attached last, with notes next to every startup i advised you what to do on what i knew and researched about.

Some of these items can be set to manual in Services.msc, if not familiar with this process, hold off for now. This only means certain items rather then completely disabling them, set them to manual, that way they are not running all the time.

Once an item starts up at boot, it is running all the time, most of the time. Can try it yourself just to look at it, see if you can spot programs you saw in CCleaners startup list, Click Start Button, select Run and type Services.msc   Just familiarize yourself with it for now. See some are manual, some are automatic startup.

Take a good look at the list i provided back to you, question anything not sure of how to do or if you do not want to disable the startup.

Attached Files

Edited by jds63, 29 September 2014 - 07:34 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Just checked your latest post before starting chkdsk. Sorry, I don't know what this means. I guess you're writing in 'shorthand' but it's sometimes beyond me:

Assume either Free AVAST you have no Firewall, should have this enabled. Good resolved some issues there with other stuff.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

No problem about chkdsk, have to run it first before you can show the log.

As long as half of my posts have been, you question one word as shorthand ,lol

Something in your startup shows me you have free version of Avast Anti- Virus, correct ? Sorry i originally capitalized all of it. AVAST!!

If free version, no firewall. Why needed Windows Firewall. Some cases you can run 2 firewalls.

I have Norton Internet Security, didn't disable Windows Firewall and there is no problems.

Edited by jds63, 29 September 2014 - 08:47 PM.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Wow! PC startup went from 5 minutes to 2 minutes after setting some of those programs to not run at startup. Great suggestion.

System restore...I'm not having any problems now, so not sure I want to try a system restore at this point and possibly mess myself up. Let's wait a few days? Or maybe not worry about it unless I need to do one?

I'm having a problem logging into pof.com (a dating site). I can log on using IE 9 on my work laptop (can't make a habit of that - they track internet use), but can't log on via IE 11 or Firefox. Have emailed the company - no response. Did a google - couldn't find my specific problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

How far have you gone through the list of startup programs and how many did you eliminate that i suggested ? More the better on your startup time and overall performance of the PC unless you make hardware changes, like RAM.

Do not recall knowing your PC specs to tell you more. Did you do a chkdsk, get a log ? Along with DSIM then a scan disk ? What do you mean you will mess things up using system restore, be worse if you have no restore point to go to in case of a problem. Make one now, that you know everything is running o.k.,then as you go along trying other fixes if something happens you can go back to that restore point to fix it.

Well .... a problem logging on, not sure exactly if this is a browser or site problem with certain versions of a browsers and it's settings, plug ins, etc..... Suggestions you say !!! Not yet, i can't obviously log in. How about this, go out more often and meet women instead, lol  :D Jokin'.Up to u.  Plenty of Fish, now that's original. :laughing:

Always Welcome!! Glad it is getting better, you know at least with the PC. :yeah:

Edited by jds63, 01 October 2014 - 08:54 PM.