Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SW-Sustainer 1.80 infection - Please help [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Surfing the web seems to be pretty fast :)

I went to sendspace to check how it looks, as I am waiting for some files to be sent to me, and it doesnt look good (see attachment). Should I use dropbox instead or what would you recommend (files are large..)

My questions would be:

1. What antivirus soft should I use/keep? (I think you saw  all that I have and smiled at another custom user - I would ;)

2. Which browser would you recommend to use?

3. I had my portable hd connected, is it possible that it got infected? (I had it off during all this cleaning process)

4. What cleaners should I use/keep for later?

5. Is my info safe, or it is possible it leaked thanks to those adware? (I was buying online)

6. What did I have? Was it Sustainer only or something more? How to recognize something is wrong before it gets too bad?

I really appreciate your answers, opinion and knowledge. THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!! 

Advertisements

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

forgot attachment... :)

Attached Thumbnails

• sendspace.jpg

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Oh, and about Chrome - do I need to uninstall it or it was already re-installed and I didnt even notice? :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I went to sendspace to check how it looks, as I am waiting for some files to be sent to me, and it doesnt look good (see attachment). Should I use dropbox instead or what would you recommend (files are large..)

Looking at the number of download buttons and the scope for error I would recommend Dropbox instead :)

1. What antivirus soft should I use/keep? (I think you saw all that I have and smiled at another custom user - I would ;)

Generally all AV's are pretty much of a muchness and the differences between them are minimal

2. Which browser would you recommend to use?

Personally I prefer IE11 as it works straight out of the box with no need to add any bells and whistles.  You need to uninstall Chrome though as the version you have is open to attack

3. I had my portable hd connected, is it possible that it got infected? (I had it off during all this cleaning process)

As the portable probably contains just data then it was in all probability safe

4. What cleaners should I use/keep for later?

I will go into that when I tidy up

5. Is my info safe, or it is possible it leaked thanks to those adware? (I was buying online)

Based on the nature of the infections I would suspect you are safe however, prudence would dictate that you watch your accounts for anything odd over the next few days

6. What did I have? Was it Sustainer only or something more? How to recognize something is wrong before it gets too bad?

You had about 8 adware programmes running and one rogue antivirus.  To mitigate them coming in again use the following programme:

A small tool that may help when you download programmes

http://unchecky.com/

Click on the link above to be taken to Unchecky.com
click the very large Download button.
click Save
Click Open folder

Right click on the Unchecky_setupuncheckysetupicon.png or folder and choose to Run as Administrator

Once open click the Install button.

uncheckysetupwindow.png

Then click on Finish

uncheckyfinishsetupwindow.png

Unchecky is now installed and will help you keep unwanted check boxes unchecked ;)

So how happy are you with the computer now ?

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Very happy :) If I could, I would give you a bears hug, but now I can just bow and send you a google of thanks.. THANK YOU!!!! :) 

About Chrome.. Can I re-install or uninstall forever?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You can re-install and it will be the good version :)

Subject to no further problems :)

I will remove my tools now and give some recommendations, but, I would like you to run for 24 hours or so and come back if you have any problems

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :thumbsup:

A good workman always cleans up after himself so..The following will implement some cleanup procedures as well as reset System Restore points:

Download and run Delfix

delfix.JPG

: Keep Java Updated :

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article

I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programmes:

CryptoPrevent install this programme to lock down and prevent crypto ransome ware

CryptoPrevent.JPG

Now you are clean download and install Malwarebytes.

Update and run weekly to keep your system clean

It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this little guide Best security practices Keep safe :wave:

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Delfix - done.

Java - uninstalled.

Hitman - uninstalled.

Chrome - uninstalled (not sure, maybe I re-install later..)

CryptoPrevent - installed.

Malwarebytes - installed (that's why I don't need Hitman anymore, right?)

I'm just not sure, how to turn on Firewall, no matter how funny it sounds. When I go to control panel/system security/window firewall and click on the left pane "turn Windows firewall on or off", it tells me to update firewall settings. I clicked "use recommended settings", but nothing happened. What I am doing wrong here?

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

When I clicked on Advanced settings, I got this..

Firewall help says:

" How can I be sure that Windows Firewall is on?

Windows Firewall is on by default in this version of Windows. To make sure it hasn't been turned off, follow these steps:

1. Click to open Windows Firewall. - I did.

2. In the left pane, click Turn Windows Firewall on or off.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation - I wasn't.

3. Below each network location type, click Turn on Windows Firewall, and then click OK. We recommend that you turn on the firewall for all network location types - it says "Update your Firewall settings, I click "Use recommended..", but nothing happens...

Attached Thumbnails

• firewall advanced security problem.jpg
  • firewall settings.jpg

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

One weird thing happened, when I tried to delete some bookmarks in the line indicated by red arrow (see pic). My pc froze and began buzzing like it was generating a big file. Below (another red arrow) was a line blinking, and I didn't really like the name on it, as it is related to ads again..

Attached Thumbnails

• weird behaviour 1.jpg

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
FW: McAfee Firewall (Enabled) {959DA8E2-3527-57D1-4915-924367AD4FE9}

You have McAfee firewall so windows firewall has been disabled :) No problem

Adclick is present on most websites as that is how they generate their revenue. Did the bookmark delete ? and is the system still behaving ?

Advertisements

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Thank you about firewall, I didn't know that, now I'm a bit smarter :)

Yes, it did delete, after a few seconds :)

I wanted to keep pc running (or sleeping, just not turning off) the whole night, set time 20min, pc didn't go to sleep. Then I simply clicked sleep, it did, but in some time (not sure, 10/20min) it turned on on itself. There was nobody to move it forcing wake up. Is that ok?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You may have it set to wake on LAN which means that the router could cause it to restart

There are simple instructions here on how to disable that http://www.ehow.com/...ake-up-lan.html

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I did this, its I have a different name:

Intruction says:

Step 5. "Click the "Advanced" tab, and then in the "Property" box, click the "WakeOnLAN From Poweroff" or "Wake from Shutdown" selections if available - I have none of these listed, but have "Shutdown Wake-On-LAN", it is the same thing?

Step 6. Click "Wake on Magic Packet" in the "Property:" box, and then click "Disable" in the "Value:" box - I had that with the same names and disabled.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Could you open a command window and type in the following command :

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
And let me know if it shows the culprit, if that command fails then use this one

powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

◾Open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, and then clicking Command Prompt

Aviete

Aviete

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Please don't laugh - how to open a command window?