Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removal of software

IE PC Boost

• Please log in to reply

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

I was here a few weeks about and had malware removed and the computer is working great.  The owner of the friend as that I uninstall software that he feels is causing problems.   I am the friend that knows of your site and he is not confident in doing the work himself.

Berfore I start I wanted to get some reassurance I was doing what needs to be performed.  His complaint is seeing software he believes he did not install.  Also, in IE, he can not get to Facebook.   If this is not the correct forum, please direct me to the forum I can be get some reassurance from.

Thank you,

Joseph

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, rather than you working for your friend as this can easily lead to either confusion or doing the wrong thing, it may be much better if your friend were to join this forum and then post in the malware removal section, if indeed the problem is unwanted software that your friend did not install.

It is always much better to work directly with the person having problems, than working with friends.

Hope you understand and can persuade your friend to join.

Nev.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What software exactly are you and\or your friend thinking of getting rid of? It might help to decide a direction to take.

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

We have used the uninstall process in Windows and they do not uninstall:

PC Booster,

Memeo Life Agent

I want to unintall IE9 and then install IE 11 to correct the problem of opening Facebook in IE.

The security alert continues to pop, but that may stop once I get rid of the other programs.

--

Nev,

I have talked to my Friend who has no confidence in himself . I can not go to his home everynight and handhold him on this.  Therefore, I have taken on the effort to resolve the issues.  I should be able to answer your questions about the machine, and have carte blanche to remove anything that the Geeks feel are not appropriate for the equipment.

Joseph

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok first have you tried going through add\remove programs and removing the updates for IE?
make sure to check for installed updates if using Win7 or *.
If XP make sure to check the little box that says show all Microsoft updates.
Once you have all the programs uninstalled then and only then reboot the system to complete the process.
Make sure not to remove anything that you are not sure before asking here.

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

It is late (1:30 AM), I am sure you guys (gals too) work all hours and I do thank you for having a drive to help others.

1. I removed the PC Boost software following the instruction the software site has.  It appeared to work fine for me.  Even after numerous restarts is it not appearing.

2.  I delete all the updates for IE - it brought me back to IE 7.  I went to Microsoft's web site and as much as I could find was the Vista Home Premium 32-bit can support IE 9.  Although I saw websites advertise IE10 at 32-bit, I did not feel that was the case if I could not determine an IE 10 32-bit on Microsoft's site.

3. At the moment, I have IE 9 running, it (IE) is slow as a dog yet It does what I am asking it to do.

4. Should I do something to clean up area's that are hidden - I always hear that the Registry gets corrupted.  I have not done any type of file clean up other than the delete process for PC Booster that had it's own uninstall and appears to remove the folder and notation that is was installed.  IE is now IE9 and I am running all updates the MS Update software says it now needs.  Looks to be mostly security patches all dated Nov 11.

So what should I do next?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Should I do something to clean up area's that are hidden - I always hear that the Registry gets corrupted.  I have not done any type of file clean up other than the delete process for PC Booster that had it's own uninstall and appears to remove the folder and notation that is was installed.  IE is now IE9 and I am running all updates the MS Update software says it now needs.  Looks to be mostly security patches all dated Nov 11.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Just a note: Before attempting to clean or fix any registry you should always make a backup of it first just in case something goes wrong.

What OS are you running as I don't see that mentioned before?

If you want to run Internet Explorer 10 on your PC, here's what it takes:

A Windows 8 or Windows RT PC.

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Internet access (ISP fees might apply)

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Ok, no Registry work on my end! 

The system is a Vista Home Premium - I failed to note this in my last post.

Based the information presented here, this laptop does not support the IE 10 requirements.

Everything looks to be working for me.  Should I consider this a closed issue now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So IE9 is installed and working ok then?

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

I  believe so.  It is slow compared to the Chrome browser installed,  but I can access the https websites like I should.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The slowness could be caused by add ons or toolbars. Try this and see if it helps.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8

• 1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
    2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
    3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
    4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
    5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.

Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

I disabled all the ad-on but McAfee stuff.  It may be better.   I don't think we should waste you time on this.  It works so much better than what it was doing.  It is Vista Home, and since I am used to a Office Desktop computer that is only 3 years old, that is Window 7 and wired connection not WiFi.   I hate to compare to Chrome as I am not familiar with Chrome and what I read it is faster.

Summary, I think it is better.  It all looks good, the sites are appearing with no warnings, and I don't see anything I should ask about now.

Joseph

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I will consider this topic resolved and if you have any further questions or issues please let us know.

Congratulations. :rockon: for a successful resolution for your issue.

I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :thumbsup: :ph34r:
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible