Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound/Mic Issues

Asus Motherboard Windows 7 64-bit Sound

• Please log in to reply

cecuts

cecuts

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hey there,

My sound and mic no longer work, and I hear static over my headphones.

I built my PC myself, and it has an ASUS P5Q SE Plus motherboard with onboard sound. I recently moved, and prior to moving, my sound worked fine. After moving, I noticed there was a great deal of static over the speakers/headphones, but I could still hear sounds. And when trying to use TeamSpeak, people only heard static when I tried to talk. Now I have no sound at all except the static.

I thought maybe the motherboard might have gotten shorted out to the case, but nothing I have done seems to fix the problem. I considered the outlet I was plugged into might not be properly grounded, so moved my PC to an outlet not on the same circut as the first, and I still have the problem. I also tried updating the driver, but it says it can't find the proper hardware. Device Manager, however, shows that the device is working properly.

Is it possible that the sound module itself has gone out? Any ideas on what else I could try?

Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, :welcome:  cecuts.

A drivers disk should have been included with the motherboard, do you still have that disk? Or the driver you already tried, did you download it from the Asus site and is the correct driver for that motherboard?

If yes, then you can try going back to the device manager, open the small window for the sound then click on the drivers tab, and then the uninstall button.

Reboot the machine and have either the drivers disk ready or the downloaded drivers.

If Windows cannot find the correct drivers, try installing from the disk or the download.

Let us know how you get on with that.

Nev.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Things you could try.

- Uninstall your souncard from the device manager and reboot your computer, it should then reinstall the driver itself and if not try the driver you have downloaded or go to the Asus website and download the driver for your motherboard.

- Go into your BIOS and see if the options for your integrated sound is enable or not.

- Last resort, if your case as front panel sound jack connect them to your motherboard and try your speaker and mic when plugged in your front jacks.

Hope that helps

cecuts

cecuts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi Plastic Nev and Alzeimer,

I appreciate the suggestions! However...

1. The driver I downloaded was from the Asus site, specifically for my motherboard. It didn't work.

2. I tried uninstalling the driver, rebooting, and allowing Windows to redetect. It didn't work.

3. I checked the BIOS to see if the sound module somehow got disabled. It was enabled.

4. I've tried front panel and back panel, with my speakers and my headphones. None of these worked.

I'm really starting to think that the sound module has just quit working. I think I'll try to get hold of a sound card and put it in my machine and see if it works. I can get a SoundBlaster for $25. Won't be a huge loss of money if it doesn't work either. Besides, my PC is about 6 years old now, and it's really getting time to build a new one.

This being said, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm willing to give it a try, if I haven't already.

Thanks!

Claire

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Suggestion,Try to reseat the sound card, maybe in move somehow shifted and not fitted properly. Positive the headphone and mic are good, no broken wires, can try them elsewhere ? Tried other speakers same thing ?

Edited by jds63, 24 November 2014 - 06:15 PM.

cecuts

cecuts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

It's an onboard sound module. Otherwise that would have been the first thing I tried.  :)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

It's an onboard sound module. Otherwise that would have been the first thing I tried.  :)

ummm, might of missed that sorry...and headphones and mic, they good for sure? Any speakers to try out too ?

Too bad it's older PC, would recommend good card for it, did not think wanted spend much on it.

Edited by jds63, 24 November 2014 - 07:50 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, if as jds63 suggests that other headphones or speakers give the same result, and if possible try the headphones on a known to be working system and it proves they are OK.

I have known many times that a sound card can rescue the system if the cost is of no problem.

Entirely up to you of course which way you go with a machine of that age. The sound chips on board may well have died by pure coincidence, or the move has jolted a poor soldered connection on the motherboard.

Nev.

cecuts

cecuts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

None work at all now. I've tried headphones w/mic, as well as speakers. Tried them plugged directly into the sound module in the back, and tried them in front panel. No combination works. Pretty sure now that the sound module is shot. I'll get a sound card and put into it. A basic SoundBlaster is only $25.00. Can't be any worse than onboard sound.

Thanks for the help y'all!

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Have you been able to check the headphones on a different system and do they work OK?

Nev.

cecuts

cecuts

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yes, they work fine.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, OK thanks for the clarification. It looks like a sound card, or replacement mother board, I know which one I would try first as the sound card is the cheapest option.

Nev.