Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Assistance Needed: Gigabyte B450M H Secure Boot Update Caused System R

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

essqsq

essqsq

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm facing an issue with my Gigabyte B450M H motherboard. After enabling Secure Boot and accidentally updating the Platform Key (PK) in the BIOS without having a USB stick with the PK file, I didn't have a USB stick with that PK file or anythingI simply clicked 'Update,' and the system prompted me to reboot without saving changes. Now, my system is stuck in a reboot loop, and I can't access the BIOS or boot into Windows. Additionally, the back panel USB ports, Ethernet port, and other components are not receiving power and remain inactive. The screen stays black.

Here are the details of my system:

- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
- GPU: DUAL RTX2060 6G EVO
- SSD: Kingston SSDNow 2.5" SATA III A400 Series 480GB
- RAM: Kingstom ValueRAM KVR26N19S8/8 2x8GB 2666MHz
- MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B450M H rev.1.1

I updated the BIOS to [F64] from the Gigabyte website, enabled Secure Boot in custom mode, and encountered this issue after the accidental 'Update PK' action.

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps without success:

- Restarting the computer and pressing the Del key to enter the BIOS.
- Clearing the CMOS by removing the motherboard battery for a few minutes.

I attempted troubleshooting with a PS2 keyboard as well, yet the issue persists. The display remains black, and the backpanel lacks a consistent power supply. Upon the initial power-up, the PC initiates successfully, but after approximately 10 seconds, it enters a repetitive loop reminiscent of pressing the restart button during the system's startup exhibiting a behavior akin to restarting itself. During the first power-on phase, all fans, including the cooler and one GPU fan, operate seamlessly. However, as the system begins to cycle through restarts, the cooler and one GPU fan appear to lose power, akin to a gradual decrease in energy, similar to a battery-powered lamp dimming when the battery is low.

Additionally, it's worth noting that the restart loop behavior can be visually and audibly observed in the video I mentioned bellow. This video provides a firsthand look at the sequence of events, offering both a visual and auditory insight into the recurring restart loop.
This should provide a clearer understanding of the situation by offering a visual representation of the observed restart loop.

Video: https://player.vimeo...12?h=5194cfe999

Edited by essqsq, 05 December 2023 - 07:28 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
- Restarting the computer and pressing the Del key to enter the BIOS.

Using the PS/2 keyboard have you tried any other keys to access the BIOS, F2 for example.

- Clearing the CMOS by removing the motherboard battery for a few minutes.

That would not clear the CMOS " how to " do it effectively explained below;

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the case power button for twenty seconds or so to get rid of any residual charge in the system, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case or PSU or if a notebook by touching a household radiator or associated copper feed pipe. 

Remove the CMOS battery from the MB and leave it out for at least ten minutes, while waiting, press and hold in fo twenty seconds or so the case power on button again a couple of times before putting the CMOS battery back in.

Reseat the RAM to make sure there is a good contact with the slots.

Connect the power cord, screen to the GPU, keyboard, power up with your fingers crossed.

Let us know how the above goes.