Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need info on certain PC parts and possible upgrades - (Hardware Illite

upgradehardware graphics card processor power supply motherboard

• Please log in to reply

EthanAnthonylol

EthanAnthonylol

• Pip
  • 5 posts

My Current Specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory: 4.37 GB (I dont know what "Available" means. Am I not getting the full 8 for some reason?)
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6450
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so before I start this just know I am VERY hardware illiterate lol I have been on PC for about 10 years but never opened any up. I am just now starting to get into it. Anyways, Ill give a quick summary of what this post is about. I am finally going to work on upgrading my PC for gaming. Though, I have quite the budget. Temporarily. So I want to upgrade it piece by piece, little by little. So here it goes.

Motherboard:

How do I find out what type of motherboard I have, and what graphics cards are compatible with it? From all the information I gave you above, I also gave to a friend who was able to tell from it that my motherboard was AMD. In that case, would the graphics card that I linked below be compatible with my motherboard?

Graphics Card:

https://amzn.to/2SruHBs

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 128 Bit PCI-E Graphic Card (GV-N1050OC-2GD)

• New NVIDIA pascal architecture delivers improved performance and power efficiency
  • Classic and modern games at 1080P @ 60 FPS. Recommend operating system is windows 10, windows 8 and windows 7
  • Fast, smooth, power-efficient gaming experiences
  • Support for the latest DirectX 12 Features. Recommended PSU-300W. Multi-view-3. Digital max resolution-7680x4320
  • Delivers all the latest GeForce gaming Features. Card size: H=1.41 L=7.5 W=4.4 inches

^There is a link to the graphics card I am wanting to buy tomorrow. (The link looks weird but its just Amazon. I used a shortened link because the original length of the link covers half the page lol I left information below it in case you do not want to use the link)

Power Supply:

https://ebay.to/2DSIMQf

I was talking with a friend about all of this (He doesn't know a lot, but more than I do) and he said that with a graphics card of that power I would need to upgrade my power supply. It is currently a Dell 460W. What would be recommended to work well with the graphics card I linked above? He said 600W would work fine. And the power supply would have to be Dell to fit inside my tower case, right? Would the link I give work for my pc?

If you need anymore information just ask. I will do my best to try and find it for you lol Any help greatly appreciated. Also, all of this is for a better GAMING experience, nothing else. The game in particular has these requirements:

• CPU: Info
  • CPU SPEED: Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 3 GHz or faster.
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 series card or higher.
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.1
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 20 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2048 MB

Edited by EthanAnthonylol, 04 February 2019 - 01:48 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Need a bit more info. Download, install and run Speccy. Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes > Copy to Clipboard and then paste in the URL you just copied into a Reply to this thread.

EthanAnthonylol

EthanAnthonylol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Need a bit more info. Download, install and run Speccy. Click File > Publish Snapshot > Yes > Copy to Clipboard and then paste in the URL you just copied into a Reply to this thread.

In the link it created it shows a [bleep] ton of information including IP. Would it be better to private message rather than post here where it can be seen by anyone?

Edited by EthanAnthonylol, 04 February 2019 - 02:00 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

You can delete the IP address if you like. It is your private IP address however,  so is really rather useless to anyone on the 'net.

(Most everyone's private IP address is 192.168.n.n, or 172.16.0.0-172.31.255, or 10.0.0.0-10.255.255.255, which are not routable across the internet. More info here: https://en.wikipedia...Private_network).

EthanAnthonylol

EthanAnthonylol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...uAYse5vas4PuEXU

Well, here is the speccy link. 

Edited by EthanAnthonylol, 04 February 2019 - 02:33 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Cool. Here's the basic info from Speecy:

Computer type: Desktop

Motherboard: Dell 0Y2MRG (CPU 1) A00
Chipset: Intel Sandy Bridge 09
Southbridge: Intel H67 B3
BIOS: Dell A04 6/20/2011

CPU: Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.00GHz:

RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

GPU: 1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6450

HD: Seagate ST31000528AS - 3.5" 7200 RPM SATA II 3.0Gb/s

OD: PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16ABS

PSU: <Unknown>
Voltages
CPU CORE: 1.068 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER: 1.500 V
+3.3V: 2.832 V
+5V: 2.782 V
+12V: 10.992 V
-12V: -8.880 V
-5V: -8.880 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD: 2.681

So yes, the graphics card you linked to above would fit in your Dell motherboard. However, no clue if your PSU (power supply unit) could handle it. Recommended PSU for the GPU you want is 300 watt. You'd need to pop the cover off of the case and see what the PSU label says.

Something that is worrisome though is the voltages your PSU is putting out -- according to Speecy that is, which has been know to be wrong. The voltages are supposed to be within a 5% +/- tolerance of the stated voltages. In other words,

12V should be between 11.4 to 12.6
       5V should be between 4.75 and 5.25
       3.3V should be between 3.14 and 3.47

Compare those with the numbers above and you'll see what I mean. A new PSU might be a good idea. As far as what size, we'd need to know the make and model number of the PSU in your computer, or the model number of the Dell computer itself.

EthanAnthonylol

EthanAnthonylol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Well my current power supply is 460W I believe. That is what the labeling says on the power supply box itself. How much is a new PSU? And where can I find its model #?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

There is usually a sticker on the PSU, with the model number, voltages etc. If not, you might try looking up the model number of your Dell computer on Dell.com and see it they have the PSU specs.

EthanAnthonylol

EthanAnthonylol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

This is my current PSU. Will that be able to handle the linked Graphics Card?

https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B009G28TOW

Edited by EthanAnthonylol, 04 February 2019 - 04:01 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Yes, a 460 watt is more than the card's recommended 300 watt.