Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free replacement for AVG Internet Security? (incl anti virus + others)

internet security antivirus software free software

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Feather24

Feather24

• PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Hi I hope you can help.

For several years I've used AVG Internet security paid verison which includes anti virus, identity protection, email scanning, firewall protection.  On the whole it has been ok. 

I now need to find an equivalent free software for a period of time until I can re-purchase the paid version.

I know that avg do a free anti-virus software with limited functionality.

Is there another free alternative to the AVG internet security that I could use to tide me over?

thanks for your help in advance.

Advertisements

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Is there another free alternative to the AVG internet security that I could use to tide me over?

There are several choices that you could use, not only short term, but for the long haul as well.

Avast www.avast.com and pick the Free Version.

Or, Microsoft Security Essentials if you use anything but Windows 8. If you use Windows 8, Defender is built into the Operating System.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Was that response helpful? Any additional information needed?

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Hi apologies for the delay.  yes that is helpful thank you I really appreciate your reply.

I haven't used avast before could you let me know what makes avast such a good choice and rather than eg. avg?

as my computer needs full protection as I use it for work.

thank you.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

In all honesty I've not done an actual comparison of each althought there are many, many comparisons done every year with the results available for all to read.

In my case, I have several machine. On some I run Avast. Other's I run Defender or MSE. I have also run pretty much everything available to see how it works for me. That's how I landed on the short list of Defender/MSE and Avast. That doesn't mean that others arn't useful or good, just in my experience...etc. etc. etc.

Don't forget A/V is a small, but very important part of the total Security picture that you should be following. This is my Prevention Speech that I post to users after I've helped them clean their machine. Have a look :)    Also, look at some of the Completed Topics in the Malware Removal Forum. Most will contain either a Prevention Speech or at least some suggestions. Gleen the best and most useful for your particular situation.

Cryptolocker prevention
Cryptolocker is a new ransomware that heavily encrypts your important files. At the moment there are no programs that can decrypt these files. You can read how to protect against it here.

Preventing Re-Infection

An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, so, I have listed some tips for you to stay safe on the internet in the future.

WARNING!: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java. Have a look at this article.

I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software. In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

If you still want to keep Java

• Click the Start button
  • Click Control Panel
  • Double Click Java - Looks like a coffee cup. You may have to switch to Classical View on the upper left of the Control Panel to see it.
  • Click the Update tab
  • Click Update Now
  • Allow any updates to be downloaded and installed
  • Warning!: Make sure to uncheck Optional offer box when downloading Java or you will install an adware on your computer.

Adobe products have to always be updated, because they also are being used to infect your computer.

• If you want to update Adobe Flash Player, visit this site.
  • If you want to update Adobe Reader, visit this site.
  • Warning!: Make sure to uncheck Optional offer box when downloading Adobe products or you will install an adware on your computer.

Turning on Automatic Updates is a crucial security measure. Keeping them out-of-date is like begging to get your system infected.

• Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
  • Under Windows Update click Turn automatic updating on or off
  • Make sure that your settings are set so that you will receive updates automatically and click OK.

FileHippo is one of programs that can check for out-of-date programs on your computer. You can get it here

Recommendations for security programs

• Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware is a new and powerful anti-malware tool. It is totally free but for real-time protection you will have to pay a small one-time fee.
  • WinPatrol as a robust security monitor, will alert you to hijackings, malware attacks and critical changes made to your computer without your permission. WinPatrol takes a snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge.

For some good tips about how to prevent infection in the future, visit this site.

Feather24

Feather24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

thanks so much for taking the time to post and respond very helpful.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts

Glad to help! :)

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.