Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Short then long because if it fails the short you will expect it to also fail the extended test + it is not unknown for flaky drives to pass the extended test so the user does not do the short test thinking that the drive is all good only for it to then fail the next time the computer is booted up.

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Results:  Short Test - Passed.  Long Test - Passed.

I have to go out for a few hours now.  Will check back in for further instructions.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

The HDD appears ok then.

From my reply #9

have you tried booting into the recovery console.

Has one of us missed the answer to this.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I was able to boot into recovery mode, but didn't go any further since I didn't know what to do.

Sorry I missed replying to this question.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Courtesy of admin - How-to repair Windows XP

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

What's the best way to proceed:

1. Repair using Windows XP CD?

2. Repair using recovery console?  (Is that the same as option 1?)

3. Repair using C:\ drive image? 

Edited by Jackpine, 14 December 2014 - 05:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Having two partitions on the HDD has made this messy, a single partition would have been straightforward  :(

If me I would try the XP disk first but in all honesty I would also format the drive and have XP on one partition and data only on another.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2, I'm at work now, so I can't do anything until tonight.

Regarding your comments from post #22, please see my reply and questions below:

- When I buit this system, I had only XP on one HDD and stored data on a second hard drive.

-As mentioned earlier, when I used Geeks to Go a number of years ago for a malware problem, I was instructed to install the recovery console as one of the first steps in the removal process.  Is this what you are referring to when you say that I have two partitions on the HDD?

- I still have no idea what the recovery console does and how to use it.

- You suggest to have XP on one partition and data on another = two partitions, but in your previous statement you say that having two partitions is messy.  Is this a contradiction?

As far as fixing my problem, are you saying that a Windows XP repair is the best option?  If yes, do I just follow the instructions from the link in Post #20?

Thanks.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower2,

I won't be able to do anything with my computer until after Christmas.  I'll be away from home for a while, plus I have stuff to move around at home due to renovations, so my computer is all disconnected at the moment. 

How do I reactivate this thread when I return?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Jackpine,

Not a problem and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

The thread will still be active and all you need to do is post back with an update after Christmas when you are ready.

Advertisements

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Hi phillpower 2, Happy New Year!

I'm back from vacation and ready to tackle this problem again.

The way we left it in December was that I confirmed the HDD drive short test and long test both passed.  I also replaced the memory sticks with two new spares.  Same result.  I have the original Windows XP installation disk.

Can you please tell me what the next step is?  (I tried starting up the computer and it still doesn't boot.  The Asus splash screen shows up followed by the Windows XP home screen, a very brief blue screen that I am unable to read, and then the process repeats itself.  There are a few other screens that always appear.  Let me know if you need to know what they say.

Thanks.

Edited by Jackpine, 06 January 2015 - 05:54 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Happy New Year Jackpine,

- You suggest to have XP on one partition and data on another = two partitions, but in your previous statement you say that having two partitions is messy.  Is this a contradiction?

I should have been clearer and said that having two OS related partitions on the HDD was messy, an OS on one partition and data only on another is the safest and most efficient option, as was also stated in my reply #22  ;) 

Can you tell us what the on screen messages say.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

OK, here is the exact sequence of screens from the time I turn on the monitor and turn on the power to the computer.

1. Asus splash screen.
  2. Black screen with message: Please wait for IDE Scan.
  3. Black screen with message: Please select OS.
  4. Black screen with various options to select: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, ... Last Known Good Configuration, Start Windows Normally (highlighted).
  5. Windows XP splash screen.
  6. Briefly Blue Screen of Death.
  7. Black screen with message Monitor is Turning Off.
  8. Back to Step 1 and repeat until I turn the power off to the computer.

All this happens without my having to select anything.

By the way, I tried booting and selecting Disable automatic restart following system failure.  I was able to read the BSOD.

The Stop message was STOP: 0x0000007B.

As I mentioned earlier, I have the original Windows XP installation disc, should I need it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The Stop message was STOP: 0x0000007B.

This can be caused by a bad HDD, corrupt OS or missing drivers, your HDD has passed both tests so I suggest that you try a repair installation using your XP disk, Microsofts own steps for this below;

Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD;

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
  2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
  3. The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear:
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer: To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER. To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R. To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
  4. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
  5. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
  6. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
  7. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP. F

Jackpine

Jackpine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I followed the instructions from post #29.  After pressing R to repair Windows XP, the repair process started to copy files.  It got as far as 3% when the following message appeared:

"Setup cannot copy the file: driver.cab

• To Retry, press Enter.
  • To skip this file, press Esc.  Caution: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may not work properly.
  • To Quit Setup, press F3."

I pressed F3 and got out of setup. I don't think there is a problem with the disc because it is clean and unscratched.  I have had it stored carefully.  Should I try again?

I then noticed that I had an external drive connected to the desktop, so I unplugged it and tried again.

This time, I didn't get the message above.  All files installed 100% (using the Repair option).  Windows XP is now in the process of completing installation.  Approx 37 minutes remain (according to the on-screen progress indicator.)

Success! Windows XP is now able to boot normally.  When I shutdown and restart, the boot process is normal again and the endless cycle of rebooting is gone.   I wonder what caused the problem?

All of my previously installed programs are still installed.  However, two things that I must do is get my internet working again and install all applicable Windows updates for XP.

(Just before I went away for the Christmas holidays, I got fiber optic service from my ISP.  My laptop is connected wirelessly, but the desktop was never connected.  I will do these things tonight.)

Thanks for your help phillpower2!  I will let you know when everything is back to normal.

Edited by Jackpine, 07 January 2015 - 09:24 AM.