Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is This CPU Upgrade Viable?

CPU upgrade AMD Turion

• Please log in to reply

Manscape

Manscape

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Do you know of any issues using the Turion X2 ZM-86 as an upgrade from a computer's OEM Turion Dual Core RM-70?

In the Pavilion DV7 repair manual, both CPUs are listed as employed in the HP laptop model series.

CPU World compares the two with "clock multiplier" @ 10 for the RM-70 and 12 for the ZM-86.

I've attached references for the above information.

ao1534.jpg

I'm inexperienced in this kind of upgrade. I understand BIOS may be an issue, but maybe not. Anything else to determine before I purchase the Turion ZM-86?

I appreciate any input that would help me complete this computer repair. It is an effort for a friend that needs her machine back as it's determined that the Turion RM-70 CPU went bad and we look for the chance to improve the machine with a Turion ZM-86.

Thank you! Manny

PS- please click on the attachments for increased size!

Attached Thumbnails

• Turion compare.JPG
  • DV7 specs 1.JPG
  • DV7 specs 2.JPG

Edited by Manscape, 14 December 2014 - 09:50 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

There are too many variables to answer you question with certainty as the model has may series number as well.   Just got a different service manual, (links to models are often wrong) > http://h10032.www1.h...l/c02642701.pdf

They come with different power adaptors, could be a factor, some MBs have sockets that are backwards compatible.

I think you would get better results from HP support as your question is aked often,  My Google search.  > Pavilion DV7 CPU upgrade "Turion"

Would be interested to know how you get on.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Been a while since we heard from you.   Have you managed to get answers?   An update would be appreciated. 

Manscape

Manscape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thank you on your interest.....medical issues here have taken my time.....but I'm still looking to do the upgrade.....or replacement of the same CPU model with a new one to avoid the bios issue.....

iammykyl, the link you posted for the DV7 computer, though titled the same as my laptop model, is a different booklet entirely than the one I obtained.....tho the title is identical.....

http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01918142.pdf

The image identifying the range of AMD processors that can be found in my computer comes from the correct PDF file associated with my machine.....I figure your PDF for the DV7 is of another vintage.....and I do understand there are countless sub models in the HP product line as you know.....

At this point, since I've got the machine apart and the old CPU out and positively identified as the Turion RM-70 and I suspect the CPU is the cause of the breakdown since the cap lock/num lock flash code indicates it so, I'm simply going to buy a NEW processor from the list in the service manual (as posted above)......

The question remains.....should I buy the identical Turion RM-70 anticipating no BIOS issues on the first boot up attempt......or spend just a few bucks more for a stronger CPU, the Turion ZM-86 but risk the issue of having to upgrade a BIOS to accommodate the stronger CPU.....since I cannot upgrade the BIOS without first getting the system operating again to do so.....remember the old CPU is suspected as bad (and now disassembled) and thus not available to boot up and upgrade the BIOS for the stronger CPU.....

Kind of a catch 22 here.....

Any advice on how to upgrade a BIOS (I've never done it), particularly with a system un-assembled and not working......Will I truly need to do so or is it just a possibility? What is this "Flash" procedure I've seen mentioned? Will that get me going in this? (I'll search on the Flash BIOS meanwhile)

I'd like to order the new CPU soon, so I can put it all together again and see what I get.....

Thanks and NEW YEAR HAPPY AND HEALTHY!!

Manny

Manscape

Manscape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Well iammykyl, 

I looked over the information in the hours of my last post and this is what I found.....

The HP Pavilion DV7 manual you posted is copyright 2010 first, second and third editions, the one I posted is copyright August 2008 first edition......and showing no other editions.

The array of AMD CPUs cited in the 2008 edition for the HP DV7 includes the Turion RM-70 on up to the Turion ZM-86, all compatible with the same motherboard, or so it seems to me by how the information is presented in the manual and how the replacement components are offered in the online market.

As my concern was always if the stronger CPU would require a BIOS upgrade to work, and how could that be achieved without a working computer system in the first place, would I paint myself into a corner replacing the original CPU with the most powerful one offered with the DV7 ?.....and would the top CPU in the computer's group really make any appreciable difference in actual use?

Currently the RM-70 is offered on ebay cheap....$2-$4 each plus shipping perhaps, but they're all used processors.....I thought I might forget about the ZM-86 and the BIOS upgrade concern and spend the peanuts for the RM-70 with no BIOS upgrade concern for first boot up. (I looked up "Flashing" the BIOS....and it seems it's only another word for "update"....more computer parlance)......but.....

In searching for "BIOS flashing" I came to HP webpages and a video that instructed how to do it after finding the HP support page for my specific computer (HP Pavilion DV7- 1132nr) which has the drivers for my machine including the BIOS upgrades of which the last version is August of 2009......my specific sub-model #1132nr, shows the processor to specifically be the RM-70 and the BIOS revisions for this model total 12 in 13 months ending August 2009. I've never "flashed" the BIOS since new. Perhaps those DV7 computers with the Turion ZM-86 CPU have entirely different BIOS programs......

Ultimately, I wanted a new CPU for all this hobbyism effort and I ordered the ZM-86 new on ebay for $20 delivered. I'll deal with the obstacles as they arrive. I love this work. It's riveting.

I'll post my results later on....it may be two weeks or so.....

Edited by Manscape, 10 January 2015 - 01:38 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are better at the research than I am, Could not get past this page, > http://h10025.www1.h...uk&dlc=en&lc=en

I am sure you worked out, you can download any BIOS to any machine, save to USB, then install to the specific computer.   BIOS updates are accumulative, so unless it specifically says otherwise, oily need to install the last update available.  

will  look out for that next post.   Good luck. 

Manscape

Manscape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello MYKYL!

I clicked that HP link in your last post and saw the perfectly logical input text into the search fields, a perfectly ordinary and pertinent query.....and it responds like you've bluntly asked for the address of a turnip.....

From pounding the HP pages, I've located most all the information I sought for the three PCs now in my life....four actually counting my GF's new machine, but that one is factory fresh.....this DV7 we're discussing is her previous one, failed and now my little repair project....

This DV7 is the first notebook I've fully disassembled with the huge help of an excellent Youtube video (thoughtful, simple, no narration) to guide me. The heat sink hardware and finally the CPU nugget itself were fascinating to discover.

I had a $25 credit to Radio Shack and was looking to spend it fast because I think they're not long for remaining. I bought the cheapest (and everything they have is overpriced) heat sink compound they had. It's a silicone base substance for about $6 for a two pack of 0.46oz total versus the 99.9% PURE SILVER thermal compound at perhaps a QUARTER the product for like THREE TIMES the price. So as I said I got the cheapest.

I don't understand how that product can be 99.9% pure silver and said to be NOT ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTIVE.....

These thermal compounds and the heat sinks on the CPUs and GPUs are new ground for me and it seems pretty straight forward with an abundance of instruction online. I am keen about what can be done to OPTIMIZE the cooling process on a given computer and I've found additional hardware items on ebay that use copper shims to extend the heat sink structure to cool another component. In my DV7 set up, the heat sink extends past the CPU to end at and include one of two GPUs. I was curious about getting a shim to extend the arrangement to the 2nd GPU in this laptop. I was thinking about cutting one to size myself as the ebay vendor wants maybe $10 for a little bit of sized copper and some compound? I have no experience beyond what I've stated.

Here is a pic of the actual MOBO and my "yellow" highlight that would represent the added copper shim...

heatsink plan.JPG

I've noted the BIOS update advice and thanks.....

Manny

Edited by Manscape, 10 January 2015 - 05:36 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Advertising speak, Made With 99.9% Pure Silver:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Manscape

Manscape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Now I'm thinking about going back to get the ArticSilver.....it's far less on ebay than the Shack....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

When looking at test results for TIM, the difference in achieved cooling temps is so close together, I decided on the Arctic MX-4 soon after it came out, still using it today, it is a case of "each to their own"

>  http://www.w7v.net/?p=35

Manscape

Manscape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Well mykyl,

At my age I'm more apt to choose and NOT look back (I wish!)......

Here's Maximim PC's take on the subject.....(it's page 2 of 2).....

http://www.maximumpc...s_face?page=0,1

and here's what I ordered from ebay......

thermal compounds.JPG

Now, what do I do with those two brand new tubes of ceramic thermal compound from about to go under Radio Shack????

Waiting on the CPU that's in transit and now the MX-2.....then I can do the reassemble and see what happens....

Manny

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Manny.

Happen Radio Shack will exchange for some other part/s, Here in OZ, I would advertise on Gumtree, completely free. 

Manscape

Manscape

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hey mykyl!

I went into Radio Shack with the sealed package of thermal paste asking to exchange without a receipt and was flatly denied. She was nice and loaded me up with excess explanation for how and why....asked me to return to see the store manager the next day (as if a 16 mile round trip is like walking to the corner candy store) to make a case to him.....

I'm just going to dump the Radio Shack thermal compound....maybe just drop it off to the local repair shop....if I do this again, I'll use the premium compounds as we discussed......

You never commented on the copper shim add on to tie the second GPU on my MOBO into the heat sink structure.....I'd welcome anything you may have to say on that....

Manny

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You never commented on the copper shim add on to tie the second GPU on my MOBO into the heat sink structure.

It is not something I have tried.  Having a quick search, seems to be a bit more involved than would first appear, shim has to be the same thickness as the thermal pad it replaces, if there is not some sort of loading lever or screw, then a bonding TIM may have to be used.     If there is not a overheating issue, I don't think worth the effort as an optimization project.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2244683 

There are some strange videos about, I am lsure you can do better than this. >