Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help, have multiple pop-ups and probably a virus too

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Hi Joe,

looked at what I wrote the other day and it was

What is not yet working is

- watching youtube videos

- when I go to 'start' then 'all programs' and then 'Windows update'   nothing happens. It seems like it wants to start (or open up) but does not manage to do so.

So if you want to work on those apart from Sumatra, then great, but I am grateful already, so leave it up to you.

best and many thanks, Juglar

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Lets try the PDF First,

We already did step 1, so skip to step 2 and I do see Sumatra is installed in your programs file folder

Step 1
Double-click the installer to run the installation wizard and click the "Install Sumatra PDF" button to install the program.

Step 2
Click the "Firefox" button in Mozilla Firefox, click "Options" to open the Options window and click the "Applications" tab.

Step 3
Select the "Adobe Acrobat Document" item in the list, click the drop-down arrow in the Action column and choose "Use Sumatra PDF (in Firefox)" from the menu to open PDF files in the Web browser using Sumatra PDF.

Step 4
Click "OK" to close the Options window and then navigate to a PDF file using Mozilla Firefox. The PDF will open inside the browser.

See if you can get this might take some fooling with it...

Joe

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

re Sumatra: 

you said  <<Double-click the installer to run the installation wizard and click the "Install Sumatra PDF" button to install the program.>>

Didn't know what the installer is or where to find it, so I had a look and found Sumatra under Program Files as you had said.

I moved it to the desktop and upon double clicking on it, I got the message:

"The program can't start because libmupdf.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem"

So shall I uninstall it and then reinstall it? However, I can't find it under 'start - control panel - programs and features'

Thanks J.

will move on to the next task

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
I said skip step 1,

Reinstall it is my best guess, and it needs to be in the program files folder, you can't move things from the program files folder to the desktop and expect them to work all the time

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

you say:

<<Click the "Firefox" button in Mozilla Firefox, click "Options" to open the Options window and click the "Applications" tab.>>

I guess you mean at the top far right, there are 3 horizontal lines, that is where I click on and then I get a whole menu of items, one of which is 'Options'. Then I click on 'Applications' and looked for 'Adobe Acrobat Document', but all I could find was 'Portable Document Format'.

I then clicked on the 'drop down arrow in the Action colum', but all that this does is change the alphabetical order of all items, so I wonder if I am in the right place?

Thanks, J.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
I think reinstall Sumatra. Then do those steps, because it sounds like you are in the right place.

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Downloaded Sumatra again, but as before upon installing it, I get the message

'Installation failed!

Failed to create a short cut'

thanks, J.

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

will try the steps you suggested anyway

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Installation failed!

Failed to create a short cut

That error needs research and I wonder if it's the windows installer issue that seems to be present.

Let me look into that error, we had that error before and that's why I ran system file checker...

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Okay and also I did the steps on a different computer and now I know what you are talking about.

There are no Adobe's listed, only 'Portable Document Format' and when doing what you suggest,

it does not give me the option of choosing Sumatra.

Will wait for further instructions.

thanks heaps, J.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts

it does not give me the option of choosing Sumatra.

That's because of this error.

Installation failed!
Failed to create a short cut

Not a 100% sure how to correct that....

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

<<Not a 100% sure how to correct that....>>

Joe,

would you prefer to close this tread and if you find something to open it again?

Thanks J.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
I was just wondering can you install anything on the computer without error ?

What about trying another pdf viewer ?

On the utube issue, do you have sound on the computer? What is the error when you try to view UTube videos in firefox ?

Joe

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Hi Joe,

I downloaded my trading platform from www. thinkorswim.com and that download went easy and fine and I could access my account and it is all working.

I noticed that I don't have sound! I can watch little sports clips when I go to Yahoo.sports, but don't have sound.

Did a sound check with  'Playing Audio Troubleshooter'  It did not detect the problem, clicked on  'Explore Additional Options'

but upon clicking on that link, the whole window disappeared.

Looked around on the net and came across the possibility that the drivers aren't working. So went to (start - all programs) and clicked on Windows update, but the link does not open. Did another search and found this website with a Windows Update Repair Tool

http://error-tool.co...tes&mt=p&ad=ET7

Would it make sense using that?

Re youtube, when I click on a video, the screen appears, is black and all I can see is this round wheel of small white balls circling (indicating that it is loading, I guess) , but it never goes beyond that.

I don't mind which PDF viewer I have. Why did we actually abandon Abobe?

Tried to open IE to see if I can get any sound, but it does not load!

Isn't it possible to reset or set the computer back to a previous time, like let's say July 2014? Or would I then get all the problems as well?

Thanks, J.

juglar21

juglar21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Just tried Youtube again and it suggests to install  Adobe Flash Player???