Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple Chrome.exe *32

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Speccy says your PC is not running hot and the hard drive looks good.  Vino shows some odd VMware problems including the memory error you mentioned.  Do you use VMWare?

Also an IPv6 but I think it's part of the VMWare issue.  You can turn off VMWare Nat service and see if you miss it:

• Click Start > Control Panel.
  • Click Administrative Tools.
  • Click Services.
  • Double-click Services.
  • Scroll down and select VMware NAT Service.
  • Right-click the highlighted line and choose Properties.
  • Click the Stop button.
  • In the Startup type list, select Disable or Manual.
  • Click OK.

In the FRST log we see you had a failed install of Nero 9.  It had some sort of conflict.  I don't see Nero installed any more but I do see it in MSCONFIG.  It hasn't come back so it may be nothing to worry about.

Your NVIDIA software was also causing trouble in the FRST log and in Vino.  Speccy says the offending software ( NvStreamSvc.exe) was running so I'm not sure what the problem was.  There are reports that claim that NVIDIA problems will cause hangs.

.  You might look and see if there is a newer version of the NVIDIA software.

I don't see anything that would cause it to fail to boot.    I would run the builtin RAM test:

and see if you get any errors.  Personally I would swap the RAM chips.  I like to have the largest one in slot 1.

It's possible that your power supply is a bit weak.  Speccy's voltage reports can't really be trusted so can't say for sure.  Relatively cheap to replace so you might try that if we can't find anything else.

Next time you get the error that says to use  a different colour scheme  run Process Explorer and save the log and post it.

In the search box type:

dxdiag

It should find dxdiag.exe.

Right click on it and Run As Admin.  It will ask you if it can connect to the internet to check drivers.  Tell it yes.  When it finishes, have it run the 64 bit check then Save All to your desktop.  Attach dxdiag.txt to a reply.

Advertisements

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I haven't used VMWare for some time.  Went to stop it as per your suggestion - it was however already stopped.  I did manage to disable it.

NVIDIA drivers are up to date.  I do occasionally get a black screen with a quick message after about display drivers failing (Event ID 14 nvlddmkm.sys on event viewer).  I have seen fingers pointing at NVIDIA as source of this problem, particularly the GTX 460 (which I have).  I referred this to the technician who tried to help me with these problems and he seemed to think it was inconsequential.

The RAM test found no errors - I am happy to swap the RAM around though in case it helps.

Have enclosed the dxdiag report.

Thanks again for all the time you have spent on this - I appreciate it.  

Attached File  DxDiag.txt   37.28KB   183 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Download BlueScreenView

Double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit, Select All.

Go File, Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

When it doesn't want to boot what exactly happens?  Do you see the maker's logo?  Does it start loading windows and just hang?  Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking when it doesn't want to boot?  Does that work?

(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly.  Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode with Networking.  Login with your usual login.)

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ok when it freezes and I need to reboot I press the reboot button on the tower.  The tower lights indicate hdd activity, the keyboard and mouse lights come on.  The monitor doesn't appear to get any signal at all - with either hdmi or vga cables.  (For a long time suspected monitor problems but testing with other monitors and cables all have this result.)  I cant say whether there are any beeps as I don't have speakers and have not yet worn headphones while rebooting - will do so next time it happens.  The technician asked if I heard the fans starting up during reboot and I rarely do - I would say only twice in last 100 reboot attempts.  Despite the peripherals lighting up I don't think it gets very far in the booting up process.  When I realise it's not progressing (after giving it plenty of time) and I hold the power switch to force it off, it switches off very quickly.  Usually when you power down by holding the power button in, it takes the 4 seconds count to power down.  Hope this helps.

BSOD Report:

==================================================
Dump File         : 121414-22183-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 14/12/2014 3:58:03 PM
Bug Check String  : 
Bug Check Code    : 0x00000117
Parameter 1       : fffffa80`0ef1f130
Parameter 2       : fffff880`0f1f04ac
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver  : dxgkrnl.sys
Caused By Address : dxgkrnl.sys+1f8e0
File Description  : DirectX Graphics Kernel
Product Name      : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company           : Microsoft Corporation
File Version      : 6.1.7601.18510 (win7sp1_gdr.140615-1511)
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : mrxsmb10.sys+416577
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\121414-22183-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 754,950
Dump File Time    : 14/12/2014 3:58:03 PM

Dump File         : 121314-22386-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 13/12/2014 9:31:31 PM
Bug Check String  : DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code    : 0x000000d1
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000010
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : fffff880`0f506d4d
Caused By Driver  : nvlddmkm.sys
Caused By Address : nvlddmkm.sys+45dd4d
File Description  : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.09
Product Name      : NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 347.09
Company           : NVIDIA Corporation
File Version      : 9.18.13.4709
Processor         : x64
Crash Address     : ntoskrnl.exe+75bc0
Stack Address 1   : 
Stack Address 2   : 
Stack Address 3   : 
Computer Name     : 
Full Path         : C:\Windows\Minidump\121314-22386-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7601
Dump File Size    : 291,112
Dump File Time    : 13/12/2014 9:34:57 PM

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Normally at boot the fan will spin up to full speed and then slow down or even stop.   Pull the cover and look.   If it's not doing that then I would look at the power supply.  It should have a fan on it which should run as soon as power is applied.  The fact that it goes off right away means Windows didn't load so you are right that it doesn't get very far.    

Looking at your bluescreen view log you have one failure of a windows file associated with DirectX.  You have Directx 11 which should be the latest.  The other error is associated with your video card driver.  There is a lot of chatter on the web about your version so you might want to try reverting back to an earlier version.  https://forums.gefor...ead/?offset=455  Note the recommendation to uninstall NVIDIA GeForce Experience.

Let's run aswMBR just to make sure there is nothing funny with the mbr.

Download aswMBR.exe 
to your desktop.
Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it
uncheck trace disk IO calls
Click the "Scan" button to start scan (Decline the download of the Avast engine)
On completion of the scan (Note if the Fix button is enabled (not the FixMBR button) and tell me) click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Let's check the file system to make sure it's OK:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check,  Reboot and the test should start.  Will take an hour or two.

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Spent several hours working on the graphics driver.  Having perused the forum you linked I uninstalled NVIDIA GeForce Experience and did a clean install of the previous driver (using safe mode to make it as clean as possible).  Have only ever used GeForce Experience and was a bit horrified about the number of old NVIDIA driver's still on my system.  The forum seemed full of people complaining about the cumulative detrimental effect these old drivers have so perhaps we have found the problem....

Here is the aswMBR.exe report:

aswMBR version 1.0.1.2252 Copyright© 2014 AVAST Software
Run date: 2015-01-04 19:37:26
-----------------------------
19:37:26.145    OS Version: Windows x64 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
19:37:26.145    Number of processors: 4 586 0x2A07
19:37:26.145    ComputerName: SONYAMACEY-PC  UserName: Sonya Macey
19:37:27.782    Initialize success
19:37:27.822    VM: initialized successfully
19:37:27.822    VM: Intel CPU supported virtualized 
19:38:02.614    VM: supported disk I/O ataport.SYS
19:38:05.404    AVAST engine defs: 15010400
19:38:18.936    Disk 0 (boot) \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\Ide\IdeDeviceP3T0L0-3
19:38:18.936    Disk 0 Vendor: ST31000524AS JC45 Size: 953869MB BusType: 3
19:38:19.036    Disk 0 MBR read successfully
19:38:19.036    Disk 0 MBR scan
19:38:19.036    Disk 0 Windows 7 default MBR code
19:38:19.046    Disk 0 Partition 1 80 (A) 07    HPFS/NTFS NTFS          100 MB offset 2048
19:38:19.056    Disk 0 default boot code
19:38:19.066    Disk 0 Partition 2 00     07    HPFS/NTFS NTFS       953767 MB offset 206848
19:38:19.086    Disk 0 scanning C:\Windows\system32\drivers
19:38:27.213    Service scanning
19:38:41.147    Modules scanning
19:38:42.647    AVAST engine scan C:\Windows
19:38:45.377    AVAST engine scan C:\Windows\system32
19:40:55.374    AVAST engine scan C:\Windows\system32\drivers
19:41:08.419    AVAST engine scan C:\Users\Sonya Macey
19:58:08.792    AVAST engine scan C:\ProgramData
20:01:58.894    Disk 0 statistics 5579491/0/0 @ 2.19 MB/s
20:01:58.904    Scan finished successfully
20:28:37.834    Disk 0 MBR has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\Sonya Macey\Desktop\MBR.dat"
20:28:37.834    The log file has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\Sonya Macey\Desktop\aswMBR.txt"

Starting to run the disk check utility now.

Thanks again for your patient help, it's appreciated!

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Ok ran check disk which was remarkably quick with a bottom line of 'Volume is Clean'.  My apologies as I had forgotten to mention that several days ago windows initiated a 'startUp Recovery' (Ithink) due to problems rebooting.  Have only seen it once - it went through a check disk procedure at the time.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

OK.  MBR is good per aswMBR and check disk, memtest  and sfc are happy so as far as Windows is concerned it should boot OK.  I guess we just cross our fingers and hope the old driver solves the problem.

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Thanks so much, it is certainly running a lot smoother than it was!

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Attempted to play WoW while talking on Skype (just audio with Skype) and PC froze after 15 mins.  It did reboot nicely though!  Will locate a power supply and try that next.  Thanks again for the help, would be bald by now without it.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
When it hangs can you do a Ctrl + Alt + Delete?  Test it now so you know what it should do.  (Hit Cancel to get back to the desktop)

Keep Process Explorer running minimized.  Perhaps you can see a process starting to hog the PC.  You might also want to get speedfan:

speedfan

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it.

It will tell you your temps in real time.  Perhaps the graphic card is getting hot?

Did the graphic card come with the PC or was it added later?  IF added later the power supply may not have enough capacity.

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

It won't do Ctrl + Alt + Delete when it hangs - have tried many times.  Graphics are frozen, mouse is frozen, no sounds.

The graphics card came with the PC - has been a little troublesome for a long time.  Have only recently returned to WoW and it has been virtually unplayable when trying to run Skype as well.  Will keep process explorer and speedfan up to try and see what's happening.  Thanks for the suggestions.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Is keyboard wired or wireless?

If wired and Ctrl + Alt + Delete doesn't work and there is no windows dump or event log entry then I think it's not a software problem.  We're getting back into the motherboard/powersupply area.   See if there is a newer BIOS available from the PC Maker and possibly set the CMOS to default.  (I usually go through and make sure I know how it is set before I set it back to default just in case it won't load afterward.)  Try and find a power supply that has a higher wattage than the one you have.

Operose

Operose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Keyboard is wireless.  The BIOS was updated in December when I had the technician here.  Will take a look at CMOS (it's a bit out of my comfort zone but I am getting desperate enough to try).  At this stage it seems that it can't hurt.  Thanks again.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Do you have the old keyboard?  Might work better with Ctrl + Alt + Delete