Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Artemis Trojan and Co

• Please log in to reply

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts

Okay. Temp files done. Really I have just a few questions and just deal with the minor stuff later.
You asked if I reinstalled Windows. What was the indicator and should I be concerned? This weekend I checked my other user sides and so far so good. They both started up as if it was the first time I been on them. Again, I did refresh and had one restore within last couple months. So will that show up as a reinstall?

I noted this because there were a lot of Microsoft and default files listed as recently modified/created in your log. This is usually indicative of a recent install and not a concern for worry in your case. I had actually forgotten about the Refresh feature of 8.1, as I don't use 8.1 much.

What causes about:blank to replace my homepage on IE?

Let me look into this. Do you set a homepage, and it goes away the next time you start IE? Or does it change after a few days, or something like that? Have you tried an IE reset yet?

Also is there another way to uninstall Chrome so I can reinstall it? On MalwareBytes Anti-Exploit  its shows up under the tab Shields, says Google Chrome (and plug-ins) as an application and under Filename says chrome.exe, but I can't seem to find it. I want to get rid of all it's contents. It was one of the apps that messed up badly at the start of all this. Other than that, I  thank you for your help and patience. :D

Have you already uninstalled Chrome from the Control Panel? Do you sync your Chrome settings in the Google Cloud?

Advertisements

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I set IE to Bing.com. I notice that sometimes it will have more letters numbers etc after the forward slash such as bing.com/1yg4i16t8rewf3hr9y. LOL just as an example. So what I do now is go back to internet options and delete whats there and replace it with bing.com again. Also, yes it will go to either about:blank or msn (it's default) every few days.

I tried to get a screenshot few days ago when IE stalled and I had to restart it. I wanted pic of it to show you cause, I opened second tab to open a website and this time it said about:blank, then opened a third and that's when it stalled and I couldn't go any further after I went back to the first tab. How do I reset IE?

Yes I uninstalled Chrome from Control Panel. I'm thinking that it might be from another device in the house. We have a network and I use wifi. Because there are other things on the Anti-Exploit app that I don't use under Shields.

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I don't have any idea about have to work with the cloud or stay away from it for that matter. So if anything synced with Chrome I really can't tell the difference.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Quick question before I run out: Do you have a Google Account or Gmail? I.e., can you login here?

Will answer your other questions soon.

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Yes I have gmail. Sorry for the wait, been feeling under the weather.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts

Ok. Try a reset of IE to see if it helps:

• Close all Internet Explorer windows that are currently open.

• Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer for the desktop.

• Tap or click the Tools button  f2d3a394-a4c3-4747-989e-cf3f6b782b2f_43., and then tap or click Internet options.
  • Tap or Click the Advanced tab, and then tap or click Reset.

• In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.

• When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK. You'll need to restart your PC for these changes to take effect.

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

I apologize, didn't have internet access for a few days....Figured out how to reset already, but last you asked if I had Gmail or Google account. Yes to both. Not sure if my Chrome settings were in sync in Google cloud. How does this affect downloading Chrome again? and Thanks for all your help Buddierdl.

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
So sorry for the delay.

Before installing Chrome again, you can delete the Chrome sync data. Instructions are here, see Option 2.

Is IE working better? Are there any more issues I can help you with?

If not, we need to clean up our tools and then you will be good to go.

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Yes IE is much better :yes:

Stopped and cleared syncing data :spoton:

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Could you please run SecurityCheck one more time for me a post a fresh log?

Advertisements

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

ok

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.95  
   x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Windows Defender   
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
  Java 64-bit 8 Update 31  
 Adobe Flash Player     16.0.0.296  
 Mozilla Firefox (35.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe
 Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit mbae-svc.exe   
 Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit mbae64.exe   
 Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit mbae.exe   
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  %
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
Congratulations, GeekGirl :). Your computer now appears to be clean. Please complete the followings steps to finalize the cleaning process. If you have any more questions or problems, feel free to ask.

It would be a good idea also to reset your firewall.

It is important to keep your programs updated to the latest versions, as old versions pose a security risk. It looks like you do a really good job of this, so keep up the good work. :) However, please read the warning about Java below:

Java

WARNING: Java is the #1 exploited program at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java
See this article and this article.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software.
In that instance I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it for that software and then enable it. (See How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser)

bwebb7v.jpgDownload Delfix from here and save it to your desktop.
  • Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
  • Also place a checkmark next to:
    • Create registry backup
    • Purge system restore
  • delfix.jpg
  • Click the Run button.
  • You can now also uninstall the ESET Online Scanner from the Control Panel if you have not yet done so. I would recommend keeping Malwarebytes, however, and running a scan every so often.
Empty temp files. I would recommend doing this every so often to free up some space on your computer.

Download TFC to your desktop
  • Open the file and close any other windows.
  • It will close all programs itself when run, make sure to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. The program should not take long to finish its job
  • Once its finished it should reboot your machine, if not, do this yourself to ensure a complete clean.
Ensure that Windows is always updated. Keeping Windows updated is very important to prevent security vulnerabilities. I recommend turning on automatic updates following the instructions below:
  • First, open the Control Panel and click on Windows Update.
  • Click on Change Settings in the left pane and then check the option for Automatic Updates.
Always ensure that your firewall and anti-virus program are updated and running. These are your first line of defense against infection.

Make sure that you keep all of your programs updated. Out-of-date programs can make your computer more vulnerable to infection. Software manufacturers release updates to fix security problems as they are discovered. Secunia Personal Software Inspector, free to download here, is a good program that will scan your computer looking for programs that need to be updated.

This article has good information about how computers get infected. You can read it for good tips on staying clean and safe.

GeekGirl40

GeekGirl40

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Okay. Thanks again...Have a great day

Buddierdl

Buddierdl

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,524 posts
You're welcome. :)