Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infected - 0x24000 [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

No problem. I'm so sorry but I noticed a few more things in your logs that need addressed. If you don't mind please do the following.

Step#1 - Put Hosts File Back
1. Please save this file to your desktop.

Step#2 - FRST Fix
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
1. Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.
    Note: You need to run the 64-bit Version so please ensure you download that one.
2. Right click to run as administrator. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
3. Download attached file and save it to the Desktop. Attached File  fixlist.txt   79bytes   183 downloads
Note. It's important that both files, FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work (in this case...the desktop).
4. Run FRST64 by Right-Clicking on the file and choosing Run as administrator.
5. Press the Fix button just once and wait. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
6. When finished FRST64 will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please post the contents of it in your reply.

Step#3 - FRST Registry Search
1. Run FRST64 by Right-Clicking on the file and choosing Run as administrator.
2. Copy and paste the words 
Chrome into the Search box and click the Search Registry button.
    Search.JPG

3. When the scan is complete a notepad window will open with the results. Please copy and paste the contents in your next reply. If for some reason notepad doesn't open the file should be
    saved on your desktop named Search.txt.

4. Keeping Java Updated
WARNING: Java is one of the most exploited programs at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java. You can read more about this here.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software. If you need it or are unsure or uncomfortable with removing it then I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it and then enable it at that time. (See How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser). If you don't uninstall it, it's also important that you follow the directions below to update to the latest version of Java.

1. Go to this page to download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment JRE 8 Update 31.
2. When you click this link you will need to click the "Accept License Agreement" radio button and then click on the "Windows x86 Offline" installer link. You will notice that there is also a Windows x64 link option, however even if you are using a 64-bit operating system, it's very likely you aren't running a 64-bit browser and should only download the "Windows x86 Offline" installer. To determine if you are using a 64-bit browser you can follow these instructions. If you find that you ARE using a 64-bit browser then you can download the "Windows x64" one.
8u31.JPG

3. Once you click on the appropriate link, please download this to your Desktop like we have with all of our tools.
4. Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
5. Now we need to uninstall all versions of Java that are currently on your machine before we install the newest version. Go to Add/Remove programs (instructions are here) and uninstall any item that appears in the list that has the following as part of the name: Java 7 Update 21
6. Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
7. Then from your desktop, right click on the file that was downloaded (jre-8u31-windows-i586.exe or jre-8u31-windows-x64.exe) and select Run as an Administrator to install the latest version. Accept all the defaults and you're good to go.
Note: Java has been notorious for installing foistware (software downloaded without the users knowledge). If you follow the instructions I provided no foistware will be installed but that doesn't mean it won't in the future. While performing the install of this software or any software for that matter, pay attention to each screen and ensure you uncheck any extra software that you don't want installed (i.e. Ask Toolbar, Chrome Browser, etc.).

Items for your next post
1. FRST Fix Results
2. FRST Search Results

Advertisements

0x24000

0x24000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Wait, I will do so after my classes. Sorry for not responding. It's been busy.

0x24000

0x24000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Help, the host file does not download.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Right-click on the link and choose Save target as and save to your desktop. That should work.

0x24000

0x24000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

I don't have those options. https://imgur.com/ynLJnjV

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Are you using Internet Explorer? If not...could you just for this part?

0x24000

0x24000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Could you run a check up for my computer? I think something's bugging it again. I haven't done much...

I apologize. :(

Edited by 0x24000, 28 January 2015 - 01:26 AM.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Sure. We need to finish the steps above however. Are you still having issues with the Host file? I can provide different instructions if you are.

0x24000

0x24000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

That would be great if you could.

Also, I'm currently EXTREMELY busy with university and my job, so excuse me. I will try and do it on my spare time, which I don't have much of. Sorry for any inconvenience I might be causing.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts
Here are alternate instructions for the hosts file.

1. Right-click your Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin). Answer Yes to the confirmation prompt.
2. In the command-prompt window that is now open, type notepad and hit enter.
3. Notepad will now be open. Copy and paste the contents of the quote box below into the notepad document. Do not include the word quote.

## Copyright © 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host
# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
#       127.0.0.1       localhost
#       ::1             localhost

4. Click the File menu and select Save As...
    a) In the location bar at the top type or copy/paste c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and hit enter.
    b) In the File Name box at the bottom type hosts
    c) In the Save as type drop down, select All Files (*.*)

Capture.JPG

5. Click the Save button. If asked to overwrite go ahead.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

Advertisements

0x24000

0x24000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Saved the host file in specified location.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Great. Can you do Steps#2, 3 & 4 as well?

0x24000

0x24000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Yes, but before I post everything, which is the Java update? Is it the 81 MB one?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Not exactly sure what you mean. You likely want (jre-8u31-windows-i586.exe) which is about 30 MB.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

I see what you are saying now. You only need the 81 MB one (which is the 64-bit one) if you are using a 64-bit browser. You can go to the section "Verify if you are using 32-bit or 64-bit browser" at this link to verify if you are. Most people aren't however so it's likely the 30 MB one. Sorry for my misunderstanding of your inquiry.