Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro

Surface Type 2 Cover Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply

Altitude89

Altitude89

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if there is a known fix for this...

My girlfriend recently purchased a refurbished 1st generation Surface Pro from Groupon and it seemed to work fine with the exception that it did not have an active product key (blocked byMicrosoft, it was a warranty turn-in) and also the boot-up splash screen was bright red with the logo "SURFACE" in the center in a blocky back background in the middle (did not seem legitimate). We are regularly prompted to enter a new product-key (we have one, but more on that in a second).

I had purchased a Type Cover 2 for her Surface and as soon as we connected the type cover to it, it did not work or light up.

I have done everything from troubleshooting, to calling customer support to actually sending the Type 2 cover in for replacement under warranty and the new Type 2 cover doesn't work either. I don't get any response from the Type cover and no it does not light up.

I have refreshed the Surface, Reset the Surface and reinstalled ALL the updates that exist for it (including the supposed firmware update that allows usage of the Type 2 cover multiple times), still nothing.

The only thing that in my mind it could be is that we need an active product key on the Surface to make it work.

So we went to Best Buy and after consulting with their Geek Squad support we purchased Windows 8.1 (standard edition). The product key we entered into the Surface does not work because the Surface is updated to 8.1 Pro.

I suppose my quesiton here is... if I connect an external optical drive and install Windows 8.1 standard with the product key, would the Surface accept that OS and would I be able to start using the Type Cover 2.?

I would really like some help on this issue because at the moment I'm about 300 dollars in the hole trying to make this work and it still does not work as advertised. At this point I'm getting desperate to get everything to work properly.

Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I don't thnk the keyboard problem would have anything to do with the activation status. it would be fairly counterproductive to disable the keyboard and then ask you to type in a product key half a mile long.

http://www.microsoft...-to-windows-8-1  go there and follow the instructions to update the thing to 8.1 to be sure. then maybe you can enter the product key.

do you know if this is a regular surface or a surface RT? did you buy win 8.1 for RT or regular? have you looked at the connections on the surface where they keyboard hooks up?